5-Wide Formations

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

All,

This is not meant to call out anyone in particular, though there are people that have been relying on 5-wide formations more than others. That being said, I never brought it up with a discussion like this, so it's not a huge deal if you've been using them in excess.

That being said, I would like to see the amount of 5-Wide formations being used toned down dramatically (including 4 wide with a TE and similar variations). These are personel groupings that should really be used 4-5 times a game, and not relied on for every third down or tight situation. The AI in this game is just not capable of covering that many receivers, and if you have a fast quarterback, then its essentially game over for the defense.

Regardless if you agree or disagree, feel free to reply to this and begin a healthy discussion, but please adjust your play-style accordingly.

• Like Like x 4
  2. jandy

jandy Walk On

Yeah this goes back to the discussion we had involving speedy quarterbacks. Even with solid defensive play-calling, it's still very hard to stop an offense like that, simply due to the AI and lack of control that the user has over the entire defense.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Ok, first of all, I agree, you shouldn't exploit 5 wide and run it all the time. However, I am going to play devils advocate as well. Should it be easy to stop every kind of offense? Teams with a lot of talent that can run a 5 wide set effectively SHOULD be really hard to stop. That's the point of running that offense. It puts the opposition in a situation where they have to change up their game play and either stop it or score more points to match it.

It works that way in real life as well. Look at Missouri from a few years ago. They had a prototypical spread QB in Blaine Gabbert and a solid cast of WRs. They spread it out and passed a ton replacing a standard running game with short passes. Teams either had to keep up or find a way to stop them.

I understand that we don't want teams to come out with 5-wide being their standard set, but if I am down by a few scores I don't think I should get called out for running 5-wide realistically. That doesn't mean running 4 vert over and over again. It means running a variety of passes out of the set and moving the ball down the field. I also understand that we don't want people to constantly scramble with a fast QB out of 5 wide either, but you also, as a defense, have to account for that threat and keep a spy in sometimes.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want us to play like a random online game with immature 13 yr old bombing it down the field with the best teams in the game over and over. But if one of our teams recruits enough talent to be hard to stop when they run 5WR, then we better recruit more good DBs.

Should we stop running no huddle too, or only run it a limited amount of time during a game? Should we put more restrictions on running bump-n-run coverage or show blitz? Because I know there are teams in the league that run these liberally.

I try my best to run a clean game plan, and I am always trying to improve. I just don't want to get called out for running 5 wide more than 5 times in a game, especially if I am behind and trying to catch up.

4. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

It's not just you and this is more of a call to mix it up more and rely less on 5-wide. It should be a change of pace formation, not a staple of the offense in my opinion

5. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

I think 5 wide sets would not be difficult to defend in the game as long as some rules are in place. For example, route types should be limited to 3-4 uses per game, and deep routes should not be utilized as the basis to the offense. The majority of these offenses rely on the short passing game (10 or less yard routes). As far as running with the quarterback, it should be that a user cannot run until all reads are completed (usually 2-3) and not allowed to scramble once they see one route is covered.

On the other hand the defense should be forced to mix it up. Running cover 1 or cover 2 man, while pressing and setting your defense to "play the pass" gives corners "god-like" ability to keep up with even the best WRs. Defenses should have to mix up all coverages along with types of blitzes to stay within the boundries of sim that this site promotes.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

I personally like it when people run 5 wide formations. I know if I bring six and play cover zero it's either a sack or they're gonna have to pass it very quickly. Then you can show the same looks and drop everyone into coverage. I think the rules from TSO put plenty of restrictions on the gameplay and it's getting to the point that every time some one uses a weapon that they've developed or recruited we all want to limit them. I don't think you should run it all the time, but I also don't think you can say it should only be run a few times a game. Several schools run similar sets a lot more than 5 times a game.

• Like Like x 1