#6 USC loses on the road to #2 Purdue, 38-20

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

#6 USC loses on the road to #2 Purdue, 38-20

In the early going this game could have gone either way. USC had a 7-0 lead on a 2-yard TD run, then made a nice stop on a 4th and 1 to get the ball back (we were within field goal range, but from the ease with which they scored the first TD I figured we needed 7). They drove back down the field, but Michael Adams made an interception that kept USC from going up 14-0. After a Purdue TD made it 7-7, Purdue got the ball back in their own territory but Robinson threw a bad pass that was picked off by A. Stone in Purdue's own red zone.

USC responded in kind, however. Threatening to score, A. Coley intercepted J. Parker at the goalline, nullifying the threat.

Crisis averted, Purdue seemed to play better thereafter. Anthony Robinson took control of the game, eventually completing 22 of 26 passes for 385 yards and 2 touchdowns against 1 interception. Twice his throws were completed near the goal line setting up short touchdown runs for Jonathan Campbell (26 car, 93 yards, 3 TD, 30 bruises), who struggled with the USC run defense for the most part.

Freshman WR Travis Campbell showed that he is a threat opposite the speedy Trenton Parham, catching 5 passes for 122 yards and a touchdown of 62 yards.

The player of the game would have to be Michael Adams. The heartbeat of the Purdue defense intercepted a pass in the end zone, batted a couple more down, and had a huge hit in the backfield on a broken play by USC.

Breaking character here, it seemed like we were getting gashed in the run game, then I looked up after the game was over and we had given up about 40 yards rushing. C.J. Lott had an incredible run where he broke a couple of tackles including my middle linebacker who was hanging on his back, and then ran for a 19-yard touchdown. Take away that, and USC really was limited on the ground.

Fantastic performance by my players. And despite my team playing incredible today, USC was a pain to get off the field and had me ranting and raving, scaring the neighbors, etc. GG BBJ.

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

ok enough with your team playing incredible 'today'

Maybe Purdue is a great team.....they play well every game!!!

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Meh sometimes they play better than others. I know there were a few times last year I won because the other guy made a key mistake. It wasn't like I was watching my players just play GREAT, they were playing o.k. and then the other team made a mistake that let us get it. Today I honestly felt like USC did certain things pretty well and it just didn't matter.