#6 VaTech @ #10 Clemson

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Colemanchu, May 3, 2010.

1. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

#6 VaTech @ #10 Clemson

The Clemson Tigers came out wearing their all purple jerseys to this one and early on it became evident that they had forgotten their matching purse. After a three minute drive and touchdown to start the game the Tigers fell apart. The Hokies answered quickley though as their first play from scrimmage was a toss play to halfback Poole (stolen from Clemson), as he picked up blocks and trotted down the sideline 44 yards to set up the game tying touchdown.

After that disaster struck for the Tigers as All American four year starting quarterback Jason Parham went down for the game with a broken foot on the first play of the next drive. Backup quarterback and fifth year senior J Thomas came into the game and promptly went 2 for 4, for 11 yards and 2 interception. The latter was returned 53 yards by Va Tech safety Utley for six and a 24-7 Hokie lead!

The Hokie defense was pressuring Thomas early and often as he was unable to even connect on simple three step drops. The Tigers staff adapted to their opponents though and came out in shotgun leavin 7 men to protect and Thomas caught fire. With time to throw Thomas was able to find senior receiver Vaughn three times for touchdowns (18, 23, 13) in the final four minutes of the half giving Clemson an improbable 28-24 half time lead.

Both teams offenses were off to the races in the second half, answering each other with relative ease. Both teams got big plays from their play makers as Pollock scored from 74 yards out and Stanley answered twenty seconds later with 55 yard touchdown catch of his own.

With the lead late and the ball the Clemson coaching staff made a bold decision to continue to throw the ball to run clock instead of pound it out. It almost cost them but they were able to score on a 14 yard screen play to make the game 49-40.

Va Tech desperately tried to throw the ball downfield for the quick score but failed against the Tigers prevent defense. JMS didnt panic though as he took what the defense gave him and worked his way down the field and out of bounds 10-15 yards at a time in a drive that ended in a touchdown pass to Landry, using zero of their three time outs. After a failed onside kick the Hokies held Clemson to a field goal making the game 52-47 with 34 seconds remaining.

The fans at the real Death Valley stadium were estactic celebrating a victory over a foe that had had their number for years. But then disaster stuck as the Hokie return man broke a tackle and sprinted free down the sideline as Clemson defenders dove in vain to catch the sprinter from behind. 30... 20... 15... 10... and out of nowhere backup middle linebacker Landry made on hell of shoe string tackle giving Va Tech two final plays with seven seconds remaining.

The Hokies came out with 2 tight ends right and 2 wide receivers left agains Clemson's three man front. Hokie quarterback Smith dropped to pass looking for any receiver crossing to get open but was failed by his left tackle as sophmore defensive end Smith danced around the big boy and threw the qb down by his shoulder pads clinching a victory for the Clemson Tigers, 52-47!

I tried to make it sound as exciting and dramatic as it really was but since I only make threads about games I win it probably takes away from it.

2. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Whoa, big win for Clemson. I was tuned in for a bit on Justin.tv, but left when VT took a 24-7 lead. Looks like this was a barnburner.

3. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I wanted to leave at the same time you did, but I like you guys too much to get booted.

4. jfosh

jfosh Super

Nice win for Clemson....sounded like a thriller. I guess that effectively ends Virginia Tech's dominance of the ACC. Great run 3 title shots!!

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I already ended VT's chances earlier ;)

6. jfosh

jfosh Super

Ya there were a few other nails in that coffin already.

7. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

And now you need to hope he beats Miami for you to have any chance.

On the other side of the league Blaza has the inside track since he beat me and we all know FSU was a fluke last year. :cool:

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Congrats man, big big win for Clemson. Looks like Va Tech is done for this season. That's right I wrote them off! ;)

9. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Great story...........fucking shitty ass ending. Go rewrite dicklicker!

10. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Jms can join me in the got nothing to play for rest of this season bucket..

11. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Role of a SPOILER!

12. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Dont listen to Cousin Brucie....he is a grouchy old man....

user games is why I am here....i dont care if I lose em all or win em...I still love playing

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    If he struggled to beat Clemson, Miami will be tough. Even though Miami was throwing up some doodoo and it wasn't getting picked. SMH!

14. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

[​IMG]
    couldn't catch a cold, it was because the DBs weren't used to the rotation coming off a left handed quarterback, lol.

15. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I still like playing. I hate losing, and I hate playing out a season where I cant win the title or at least the SEC. Now I can still beat Bama which would be huge and maybe throw a wrench in Blaza's plans...that would be a nice consolation prize.

To me thats just failure and we arent used to this much failure at Tennesee.