7 on 7: Playoff Push

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by JFace907, Jan 8, 2016.

1. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

*Publisher’s Note: The publishing of this content was delayed due to publisher coming ill with a 24 hour bug. Please treat each answer as they were written prior to week 16

Here at the TMFL Network we like to span the league and take the temperature on various topics the league has given us. Today we grabbed 7 journalists and asked them 7 questions. We hoped to get their hot takes and maybe even some insight on the team they make a living covering.

The 7 journalists joining us in this edition are…

BeliBrady Backer, New England Nonsensical (Boston, MA)
    R.N., The Sunday Brew (Oakland, CA)
    Jake Plummer, Birds Nest Blog (Phoenix, AZ)
    Jimenez Almeida, The Pigskin Pinata (Mexico City, MX)
    Jim Wyatt, The Tennessean/TitansOnline.com (Nashville, TN)
    Chazz Reinhold, The Raven’s Nest (Baltimore, MD)
    Nick Bakay, 12thManRising.com (Seattle, WA)

1. Each conference is likely sending a sub 500 division winner to the postseason. Do you give either of them a chance to make a legit run?

BeliBrady Backer : The Patriots are actually now a .500 team and have locked up the division with tie breakers. I see them finishing 8-8 at worse so they won't be sub-.500. As the hometown reporter I give them a decent shot. They're on a 4 game win streak with Garoppolo having thrown 14 TDs & 1 INT in that time. They appear to have righted the ship. The NFCN is still wide open. As for making an impact...I could see them wining their 1st rd game depending on the matchup, but not doing much more than that.

R.N. : Anything is possible it truly is. In the AFC East I’d say New England has the best shot at a run deep into the playoffs and given their history with the new Raiders owner they could shock the world if given a shot. As for the Packers and their passing attack … naaaahhh we all know who the favorite is.

Plummer : At first glance this is a very intriguing question, but looking back at the last couple of seasons, it's hard to argue that getting home field for the wild card is that much of a factor. Home teams are 3-5 through the first two seasons, including a 1-3 mark a year ago. The thing that has held true going into the playoffs is how hot a team is, and the Patriots, while I don't see them finishing sub .500 are one of the hotter teams in the league right now and could make a run.

Jimmy A. : The AFC East and the NFC North could both have teams with losing records punching their ticket for the division/conference. Out of the potential candidates of each conference the only one that I can see making even a small splash in the playoffs is the Patriots. The truth is, the Patriots wont make it out of the wildcard round because their biggest weakness this season has been teams that can put up lots of points. The aerial assault of the higher powered offenses tend to make Garopollo anxious and take more chances. He feels he has to score on every drive and likes to throw into coverage. The Patriots have lost to 5 high powered offenses (Chargers, Steelers, Bills, Broncos, and Saints) this season. In those 5 games Jimmy G has thrown 22 Ints to just 9 TDs. If the Pats get the Jags or the Ravens (Both offenses that can score a lot and score quick) Jimmy G better learn to game manage or I predict a blow out and him have 1 TD to 5 Ints.

Jim Wyatt : While winning any division in the TMFL is cause for celebration, I believe the party ends there for these teams. Looking at the AFC East and NFC North specifically, I don't believe any of the potential division winners has what it takes to take down the big boys of the TMFL.

Chazz Reinhold: Definitely the Pats. Garoppolo is coming on strong in the last few games but the team is coming off as arrogant. I think they lose to the Raiders next week which will settle them down and they'll rebound against the Bills and possibly get back to the AFC Championship.

Nick Bakay : I'm not buying into the premise that one of both of the division winners from the AFC East and the NFC North will be sub 500. Of the two, I think that the Patriots serve a better chance of making it past the wildcard round. Whoever wins the NFC North will likely run into the second team out of the NFC West, and that will be no easy task. For the Patriots though, there is still a chance that they end up hosting the Browns in the playoffs, and I just cannot bring myself to pick the Browns to win a meaningful game. It's like picking Clemson in college football - you know that they are going to screw it up somehow. If the Patriots draw the Jaguars, though, neither division winner will win a playoff game.

2. The AFC has 5 teams fighting for 2 wild card spots. Who gets those spots?

BB : I'm taking the Jags and the winner of the Week 16 Browns/Ravens matchup. I'd like to see it be the Browns after what they've been thru as an organization.

RN : Jags face a now 3-11 Colts team and a 0-14 Seahawks squad put them down for a playoff match up. Second, the San Diego Charges should make a push for the post season barring a setback in DC next week.

JP : First off this goes to speak of how competitive the league is that everything is still bottlenecked at this time of year, but I think it is going to be the Jags and the winner of the Ravens-Browns. The Chargers have had an incredible season but their schedule has been soo tough lately and the Chiefs are right there as well, but I just believe it's going to come down to those two.

JA: The Jags get the first spot because I believe they can win out. They haven't lost a game since week 6. They have been rolling, behind the arm of possible NFL MVP Blake Bortles and proved that even when he is having an off day like in week 15 vs the Cards that they can still win the close ones. As for the 2nd AFC wildcard spot that's a little bit tougher, but I am going with the Browns. I just have a feeling they sneak in. I think the Browns win out and the Ravens split in their last two games. If that happens I believe the Browns can get in.

JW: JAX has been playing out of their minds lately and seem bound and determined not only to make the playoffs, but make some noise when they get there. I also like the Ravens in the other spot as they are dominating the trenches ranked in the top 5 of both rushing yards for and against.

CR : Jacksonville wins out so they're in. The Ravens got a huge win against the Browns that puts their run into the playoffs into their hands. But can we trust them to win out. Well here's a fun fact: In the 2 previous seasons, The Ravens have not been swept by a division opponent. The Ravens final 2 games are against the Bengals and Steelers respectively. They lost to both teams earlier in the season. Give me the Ravens to win out and grab the #6 seed (Unless Steelers lose out in which case the Ravens will be division champs).

NB : The Jaguars currently sit in the 5 seed as the only team with 9 wins. Further, the combined number of wins of their remaining opponents is: 3. Jacksonville finishes the year with home games against the 3-10 Colts and the 0-14 Seahawks. They shouldn't have any problem getting to 11 wins and in the playoffs.
    As for the other spot - reasonably it should go to the winner of the Browns / Ravens week 15 game. However, unless the Ravens win out, the Browns will own the tiebreaker over them by the division record tiebreaker. The Browns also have a much easier schedule than the Ravens. That said, I'm sticking with my theme from the previous post - ITS THE BROWNS! It's more like that Johnny - excuse me - BIlly Football wil actually start practicing the 12 steps of AA than the Browns are of winning a game that will get them in the playoffs. Give me the Ravens as the 6 seed.

3. Of those two, which is the more dangerous to the other playoff teams?

BB : The Jags are very dangerous. Bortles is playing at an MVP level and that DEF has rookies making plays.

RN : With the Top Passing offense in the TMFL I’d go with the Jags after starting 1-5 they are kicking ass and taking names on their 8 game win streak.

JP : How do you not pick a team that has won 7 straight games here? Easy. Defense. The Jaguars offense has been on fire but did the Cardinals just expose the game plan to beat that offense or was that just a bad day? With the Defenses in Baltimore and Cleveland combined with the running games, I see them being more suited for a longer run.

JA : The Jags are the most dangerous team of the two. Bortles is able to see the whole field and dissect defenses. He doesn't throw into bad spots and takes what the defense gives him. This allows the Jags to cut down on turnovers. Being able to cut down on turnovers in TMFL and in the playoffs is huge. All the players on offense know their roles and execute flawlessly. The Jags defense is middle of the pack, but when their offense is at the top on a lot of the major categories teams can only hope to keep up. Oh and the defense isn't without offensive talent, the rookie, Tremaine Harvin is ready to make a name for himself on the big stage after having a monster rookie campaign.

JW : I like think the Ravens may be the more difficult matchup as they are looking to be more consistent on both sides and not as reliant on success in the passing game to get W's.

CR : The Jaguars are a very good ball team. If it wasn't for a slow start going 1-5 to begin the season they would be the #1 seed. But, I like the Ravens chances. They just have the playoffs experience that the Jags haven't had yet. I'd go as far as saying the Jaguars and Ravens could meet in the AFC Championship but again I think the Ravens have the swagger needed to pull it out.

NB : Easy answer: the Jaguars. After starting 1-5 and giving the Seattle brass a belief that they may own the first two picks in the draft, Jacksonville has rallied off eight straight wins and are heavy favorites in their last 2 games. Sitting at 11-5 and headed to Foxboro for their first round playoff game, it's hard to imagine Vegas would set the line without Jacksonville being favored.

4. The defending NFC West Champ Cardinals and this year's “nothing-to-something,” 49ers are in a neck and neck battle for the division crown. Who takes the crown and gets a playoff home game?

BB : The 49ers take this spot...the Cards can't figure out how to win the close ones this season.

RN : The 49ers are on a Texas road trip at the Texans and the Cowboys while the Swat team has the Cowboys and the Colts … TUFFFF choice here but lets give it to the underdog, the 9ers will edge out the slumping Cardinals for the top spot in the west.

JP : 49ers really broke the Cardinals heart twice and have the organization antsy on not only if their gonna be able to make a run at the division, but are they going to be able to make the playoffs. Barring a major injury, I'm more impressed with the 49ers. They have trailed by two possessions in a handful of games in the second half this year but Hundley has grown into a clutch QB when the heat is on and is pulling them out.

JA : The 49ers are in and have earned that home game. They swept the division this season and that is a tough feat to do. Even a winless Seahawks team is hard to beat when its a division game because these teams know each other inside and out. The complete sweep hasn't been done before so even if the 49ers stumble and lose one of the last two and the Cards win out they would still own the time breaker.

JW : I like the Cardinals to finish out strong and win the division. While the 49ers have had a spectacular turnaround this year, if we did a bit deeper into their performance, there are issues. The 49ers rank in the bottom half of both offense and defense this year and I believe that lady luck is about to run out on them.

CR : Niners. They already have the tiebreaker. All they need to do is win out. While it won't be an easy task I like their chances. They go into every game with a good gameplan and they're the first to criticize they're gameplay and make the necessary adjustments.

NB : Arizona's loss to Jacksonville really opens the door up for the 49ers to grab a stranglehold on the division. San Francisco went 6-0 against the NFC West, and with a win over the Lions would just be one win away from clinching the division. I see the 49ers winning this week, and taking a win in Houston in Week 16 to clinch the West.

5. The loser of that battle is in contention with 2, potentially 3 other contenders for the Wild Card spots. Who are the wild cards in the NFC?

BB : Cards & Skins make it in. Don't think either are a force this year. Skins need a little more to make the next step....Cards veteran plan from last year isn't paying the same dividends this year.

RN : If the Skins are able to knock off the Chargers they are in, we all know the Cards or 49ers are locked into one of the remaining spots so the only other possible team would be the Saints. Unfortunately they face an up hill climb in a feisty Falcons squad that appears to have a stranglehold on the NFC South

JP : It is essentially a three horse race between New Orleans, Arizona, and Washington. New Orleans has been without a coach for the past 6 weeks but somehow they are finding ways to win and stay alive, but in the end I think the Skins and Cards squeak in. A lot of question marks in Arizona right now as management is really trying to plug holes and stop the sinking ship before it's too late.

JA : I like the Cards to hold strong and win their last two games which would give them their wildcard spot. I think the Redskins split their last two games, but that is enough to get them in.

JW : I like the 49ers in one spot and the Saints in the other. The Saints have been playing well behind rookie QB Cory James and are really causing chaos for opposing passing games. Look out for this group in the playoffs.

CR : Cardinals and Redskins. Cards will bounce bac from they're gutwrenching loss and win their final 2 games. Redskins final 2 games are on the road but I believe they win at least one of them and the AP Saints get beat in one of their final 3 to sew it up.

NB : The Dallas loss to Green Bay really writes the Cowboys out of the playoff picture. While that would have been a nice story, I think the hole is too deep for them to come back. That makes it a 3-team race with Arizona (9-5), Washington (9-5), and Saints (8-5). I expect Arizona to win out and claim the 5 seed, but here's where it gets tricky. I have no idea what to expect out of Carolina and their new ownership - mainly if they can play spoiler to the Saints in Week 15. My gut says no, but I'm hungry and I never really was a good translator so I'll say that Carolina knocks New Orleans back, and Atlanta does them in during week 17. Washington sneaks in as the 6 seed.

6. We've got your 6 playoff teams of the AFC and NFC, who wins each conference?

BB : Pats & Eagles....no one else is playing as consistently right now that has already locked up a playoff spot.

RN : Eagles get back to the Bowl, two in three years ain’t bad. As for the AFC, it’s a toss up. We may get an AFC championship preview in the Titans Steelers game next week. Or not, but since the jury is still out on our home town Raiders, yes we moved too, the AFC is in the air....

JP : AFC is wide open. With the loss of the Raiders coach and having no faith in the Pittsburgh defense, I think it is going to come down to the Titans or Ravens/Browns. Raiders were rolling, but it would be miraculous for a new coach to come in and overachieve with that roster the way the previous regime was. The Titans are kind of flying under the radar now with a lot of attention going to the Jags and Patriots who are both on nice runs. If I had to pick one team it would be the Titans though. Mariota is playing great and the defense is doing what they need to win games.

NFC is a lot less of a question but still a little intriguing. The Eagles are the clear favorites here. They are well coached, take care of the football and play great D. The Falcons have the best defense but can we trust that offense in the playoffs? The Cardinals have the roster but their offense is in a slump. The 49ers and Redskins could each make a push but I really think both teams are a year away. I'm going with the Eagles, the team and owner are just too strong.

JA : I think the AFC Championship game comes down to the Jags vs the Steelers. The Jags lost a heartbreaker earlier in the season in a 35-38 loss to the Steelers. Treamaine Harvin wasn't a factor in the first game I predict this changes this time and he grabs at least 2 sacks. Harvins big plays in the game helps the Jags survive a shootout in a 42-38 win over the Steelers.

In the NFC I believe the Cards make a deep run and meet up with the Falcons. Kickers have nightmares when playing the falcons for some reason and I believe the kicking game will be the deciding factor in this matchup. The Falcons win after the kicking game gets the best of the Cards. Final 19-14 Falcons.

JW : Normally, I would go with the Raiders to play in their 3rd straight Super Bowl, but the regime change and injury to David Carr might be a bit of a step back. I'm going to have to go with the hometown Titans, with the #2 ranked defense int he league and getting Mariota back in time for the playoffs, they should be a tough out.

From the NFC, the defending Super Bowl champion Eagles will be back to seek the back to back win. This is a balanced team that is battled tested and ready to go the distance.

CR : Ravens beat the Jaguars by a field goal in the AFC Championship. This will be a game between two teams with mutual respect for one another. The Jags owner has been kind enough to advise the Baltimore owner in times of need. This game that advice will come back to bite the Jaguars. Ravens are playing patient football and it will pay off.

NFC will be a battle of #1 and #2. Eagles will be able to beat a Falcons team that the owner claims is still learning which is good because it will be a learning experience for him. Philly's ability to run the ball and play good defense will be the deciding factor in this NFC battle of the titan.

NB : Starting with the AFC, I have to take Tennessee. The Titans were very impressive when I saw them play Seattle, and they own a split with the Jaguars. I think we will find out if we are the real deal when they play Pittsburgh, but if they win I see the road to the Super Bowl going through Music City - and they won't need a miracle to win this year.
    In the NFC, I think it's fair to say that I have a unique take as Seattle has had a total of 7 games against 5 of the NFC playoff participants. The best one we saw in those games: The Philadelphia Eagles back in Week 1.

7. Finally, who is the Super Bowl 53 champion?

BB : Because I'm an unabashed homer...I'll take the Pats after the ownership change in OAK.

RN : The Raiders…… F*** It!

JP : What a story line!!! Mariota vs his former coach. If Chip Kelly could spell defense, I would give the nod to the Eagles but I think this will be the case of the student defeating the teacher as the Titans win their first SB.

JA : THE Super Bowl will feature one of the leagues best defenses vs one of the leagues best offenses. Jags vs Falcons! I think this one stays close for a while , but bortles ability to take what the defense gives him and still move the chains with no turnovers wears on the Falcons and their defense. After the Jags take a slight lead the QB for the Falcons will start to get trigger happy and throw this game out of reach with turnovers. Jags win 38-20.

JW : The Philadelphia Eagles look like they are primed to take their 2nd title in two years. Demacro Murray is having and MVP season offensively and the defense, led by pass rushers Cornelious Washinton and Fletcher Cox are playing possessed football.

CR : The NFC power vs the AFC wild card. Smart money says pick the Eagles, right? WRONG. Take the Ravens here because the guy calling the plays has the balls to call the plays the other team doesn't expect. Just a season ago this team beat the Eagles with a read option play with Joe Flacco. The Eagles' brass will be overwhelmed with the Ravens gameplan. To loosely quote the late great "Rowdy" Roddy Piper: "Just when they think they have the answers, we change the questions."

Quote the Raven, Nevermore

NB : Give me the Philadelphia Eagles to win Super Bowl 53. As good as the Titans are, I feel that Philadelphia is the more complete team. Both owners deserve to be there, but Philadelphia has the better pedigree and experience to get the job done.[/I]

• Awesome Content Awesome Content x 2
  2. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

2 of 7 predicting the eagles. Everyone else voted for either themselves or another team.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

In my independent studies!!! I'm going with the AFC finally getting the win; 3rd times a charm! Depending on match ups and how things shake out the winner out of PIT/BAL/TEN!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Black Republican

Oh and someone needs to drug test that Jimenez Almeida guy! Think he's down in Mexico sampling the goods!

Great write up again fellas!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. charter04

charter04 Walk On

I thought the Panthers were the defending SB champs. lol. Giving the commish championships he hasn't even won. :rolleyes:

"JW : Normally, I would go with the Raiders to play in their 3rd straight Super Bowl, but the regime change and injury to David Carr might be a bit of a step back. I'm going to have to go with the hometown Titans, with the #2 ranked defense int he league and getting Mariota back in time for the playoffs, they should be a tough out.

From the NFC, the defending Super Bowl champion Eagles will be back to seek the back to back win. This is a balanced team that is battled tested and ready to go the distance."

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

No pressure Jags .......

• Like Like x 1
  7. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Didn't you hear? We NCAA'd the Panthers and wiped his title when he left :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

DIdnt you win the SB last season?

9. hskr8128

hskr8128 Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Great read once again!

I have the SB champ coming from the AFC. Im leaning slightly towards Pittsburgh but Bal, Ten, and Jax wilk all be tough outs.

One reporter nailed it in the NFC. The Skins, 49ers and Saints (if they make it) are all up and coming teams led by young QBs. While they are capable of beating anyone, they are probably a year or two away from truly competing. The NFC is a 3 horse race between Eagles and Falcons with the Cardinals being the sneaky team just waiting for someone to slip up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. hskr8128

hskr8128 Walk On

Featured Threads:
    1st year: Eagles
    2nd year: Panthers

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Black Republican

Leave it to the Cowboys writers to be hatin' !!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Black Republican

Mark Sanchez won the first SuperBowl, so I wouldn't sleep on anyone's QB situation if they have the attributes NOW. Big Ben, Flacco are money! Marcus Mariota has 99 rated passing stats! Turnovers are going to play key in playoffs! Next level football!

14. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

Only 1 out of 7 had the bolts in the playoffs...

1-4 to start season, losing Gordon, losing Rivers (back now), losing Keenan Allen... And they are rolling into postseason after winning 9 out of their last 11!

Rivers already mentioning this is his final season and he's poised to go out with a bang. Keep sleeping on them Charges TMFL! It fuels the fire! Go bolts!!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Black Republican

See what had happened was ...... ??? :LOL::LOL:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1