73-20??? WTF!

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by mrluchini, Sep 26, 2010.

1. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

73-20??? WTF!

Time to boot Tressel for playing unsim. WTF, a QB throwback to Pryor late in the third Q when youre up huge? That was SO Urban Meyer.

(Im actually jealous, I just want to see my Cougs win again, and that sad fact is truly in doubt).

;)

2. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

You're right - that was some very un-Tressel like behavior.

But I will say this: Every year, all we hear is how the Big Ten isn't that good, and that they are down. Each year, at bowl time, the Big Ten gets hosed, always having to play much higher ranked teams. And then, the Big Ten does what is always does; it performs above the perceptions. Last year is a perfect example. Everyone says there's no way OSU can stop Oregon, and then OSU goes out and simply dominates the game.

Maybe Tress is just tired of the wold-wide Mark May syndrome. I know I am. As much as I hate running it up, the truth is, if we didn't, the Mays of the world would use that as an excuse to say what they always say. If we played in the SEC, we could kneel on it and kill clock. But when your guys are sure to get bounced out of a title shot, you pretty much have to swing for the fences all the time.

We want classy play, but we don't really want classy play. It's a catch-22.

One last thing - 'Bama isn't that good. They have some real talent, and they play hard, but there's no way they escape this season without a loss. Three wouldn't surprise me.

4. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Florida looked good this week. They could be difficult for Bama to beat.

5. bdub

bdub Walk On

Your right Bama isn't very good. They have these games were they just don't show up ready to play and it just about got them yesterday.

Mark May is a *itch just like Barry Switzer. Before Utah played Bama they both said there was no way a team like Utah could beat them. Switzer even said that Bama wouldn't even recruit a single player on the Utes and we saw what happened there. Why anybody actually listens to guys like that is beyond me.

6. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Look out for Carolina against Bama in two weeks. Bama has florida this week, Carolina has a bye. Plus Carolina knows this is a MUST win for them.

On the SEC thing, remember that the last two times PSU has played a SEC team in a bowl they were underdogs and came out and physically dominated their opponent. But LSU is still crying that "the field was sloppy". Guess what it was sloppy for both sides.

7. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

SEC is 6 for 6 in BCS title games. Only conference to be perfect in the big game.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'd be surprised if Vegas has 'Bama as the favorites in this one.

Hard to argue with that. OSU is on the bad side of two of those, though, I have to say, the Florida game was a night of OSU's worst and Florida's best. The better team didn't win that night. Not likely to happen again. LSU, though, simply outplayed my guys.

9. bdub

bdub Walk On

OSU is really really good this year. I wouldn't doubt it if they win the big game. Oregon is really good to. It would be great to see them play each other.

10. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

But when you look at the Big Ten-SEC numbers in the past 10 years, the Big Ten is actually better. Even though most of the bowls feature a higher conference ranked SEC team than the Big Ten team. Big Ten is not that far behind the SEC. The bottom line is the SEC and ESPN signed a monster deal about 4 years ago. The Big Ten network sprang up about that time to compete with ESPN's strangle hold on the sports world. Guess who is the biggest SEC supporter in all of the land? Yep, you guessed it ESPN. Now connect the dots and see where it leads you.

11. bdub

bdub Walk On

SEC and Big 12 are overrated every year. I mean who really knows how good the SEC is as all of their out of conference games are against horrible teams.

12. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Look at BCS bowl wins since the BCS started.

SEC 14-5
    Pac 10 9-5
    Big East 6-6
    Big Ten 10-11
    Big 12 7-10
    ACC 2-10
    Non BCS 4-5

SEC by far has the most wins and best win percent in BCS bowls of any other conference. Besides the SEC, only the Pac 10 has above a 500 win percent in BCS bowls.

13. bdub

bdub Walk On

Wow ACC 2-10!!

14. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

All the Miami wins were back when Miami was Big East so they count for that conference.

15. bdub

bdub Walk On

Just curious what 5 non bcs teams lost in a bcs game? Hawaii and TCU last year is all I can think of.

16. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

TCU, Hawaii, and Notre Dame three times.

17. bdub

bdub Walk On

Oh forgot about Notre Dame.

18. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

ouch

19. Urine_Trouble_

Urine_Trouble_ Walk On

When you play in the SEC do you have to play non conference games? I mean you are destined to play 2-3-4 games vs a top 20 team per season. And most likely one of those games will include a top 3 opponent in the nation.

20. bdub

bdub Walk On

Sure you have to play good out of conference games. You see the Pac and Big 10 going out and scheduling tough games and they play some top teams in their own conference all the time. Not to mention how many home games they play every year. Alabama plays 7 home games and 4 away games. Florida 5 away games and 8 home games. Compare that to Oregon who has 6 home games and 6 away games. Or Boise State who has 6 home games and 6 away games.

21. Goose

Goose Walk On

Not to mention that nobody in the SEC wants to play a Big Ten team during the regular season. Ohio State has been trying for years to get Florida, LSU, or 'Bama to play, but they are all scared.

22. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

First any non BCS team needs to schedule tough OCC teams to become legit otherwise all they prove is they can win against the low tiers of the FCS. This applies to Boise State. Beating up on the WAC means less then winning the Big East title.

Second here is a list of OCC teams some of the top schools play.

Alabama
    San Jose State
    Penn State
    at Duke
    Georgia State

Florida
    Miami (OH)
    South Florida
    Appalachian State
    at Florida State

LSU
    North Carolina (neutral site)
    West Virginia
    McNeese State
    UL Monroe

Oklahoma
    Utah State
    Florida State
    Air Force
    at Cincinnati

Texas
    Rice
    Wyoming
    UCLA
    Florida Atlantic

Oregon
    at Tennessee
    New Mexico
    Portland State

Ohio State
    Marshal
    Miami
    Ohio
    Eastern Michigan

From the looks of it top teams are playing one tough out of conference game (against another BCS conferenceteam) and a bunch of low end BCS conference teams or non BCS conference teams.

23. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

That is true, Bama was the only team that would agree to play PSU in a home/home series. ONLY TEAM! They are scared of the north.

24. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Why would they want to? If Bama played OSU this season it would mean that the loose of the game will likely not be in the National Championship. Why take that risk when you don't need to? Say tOSU played Bama and beat Bama. Then tOSU wins out and Bama wins out. Bama is still not going to be in the National Title game because no one wants to see a rematch for the title. It is a pretty big risk. You play top programs when you think the OCC win will propel your status. Teams like Florida and Bama can play second tier BCS teams like Florida State or Penn State and gain legitamcy without the risk.

25. bdub

bdub Walk On

Not blaming the teams here. Your are right why would they play anyone good when they don't have to. Its the NCAA that needs to put in some sort of rules regarding the scheduling of teams. However, it doesnt change the fact that SEC teams are afraid to schedule OOC games against legit teams and when they do they normally get beat.