#9 A&M RUNS OVER UCLA

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by edge7771, Jul 17, 2011.

1. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

AGGIES ROLL IN SEASON OPENER

TEXAS A&M 34
    UCLA 0

Coach Edge and the #9 Texas A&M Aggies kicked off the 2012 season at the Rose Bowl against UCLA. The Aggies are looking for a big season and a BCS birth and they started off on the right foot. UCLA won the toss and elected to take the ball the second half and play defense first. The Aggies set up shop on the 35 and went to work with AA and Heisman hopeful RB Cyrus Gray. With a good mixture of running an passing the Aggies drove down UCLA’s 15 but bogged down. Aggies came away with 3 and that would be all they would need. On UCLA’s opening drive Defensive Cord. Jimmy Fingers unleashed the rebirth of the Wrecking Crew. UCLA was stuffed on two running plays and went to the air on 3rd and long and Fingers brought the pain. On a weak side blitz the UCLA QB rolled right and threw to what he thought was an open WR. SS Stephen Campbell stepped in front of the WR to pick off the pass and sprinted untouched to the house. UCLA would be unable to move the ball all game against the Aggies defense. Their defense didn’t fare much better as Cyrus Gray rumbled for 119 yards and 2 td’s on 31 carries. Star QB Ryan Tannehill threw for only 69 yrs on 6 of 11 passing, but the passing game really wasn’t needed. Coming out up 20 in the 3rd the Aggies Defense kept the pressure on. UCLA would go three and out on its opening drive and the Aggie O would eat up the rest of the 3rd capped off by a Gray TD. A&M was in shutdown mode and ready to call of the dogs in the 4th. As they were getting ready to bring in the 2nd team defense UCLA struck deep. Not wanting to give garbage points coach Edge made the call to leave the first team D on the field. On the next play the call paid off as the UCLA QB made a crucial mistake. UCLA ran a deep square out and CB Coryell Judie was there for the pick. “I felt him pushing me deep and was thinking he’s running out of room soon. Knowing I had help to the inside I decided to cheat over the top. Once I saw him break to the outside I broke under him and looked for the ball. My first thought was don’t drop it and then don’t get caught by the QB.” DB Coryell Judie. “All in all it was a good opening in what hopes to be a great season.” Coach Edge.
    texas-a-m.jpg

Players of the Game
    Cyrus Gray 119yrds on 31car 2td’s
    A&M Defense 3sacks 3Int’s 2td's 0pts