9 Minute Quarters

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by JSimms, Aug 18, 2010.

1. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

9 Minute Quarters

I just wanted to get the overall league's thoughts on this...in my opinion (granted this is from only one game being played on Madden at all this year,) 9 minute quarters are way too long. For one, my game (although an overtime game) took close to 2 hours with Sowers last night. Secondly, the stats are just rediculous. As most people in this league know, I like to run the ball, and did so at about a 60/40 clip during my game last night yet it still seemed like both teams had a million possessions. I played probably a good 40+ games on Madden last year, and didn't score over 40 once!! Not because I'm terrible at Madden, but b/c I run a lot and like to play ball control. I have a feeling you're going to see the leading rusher have 3,000 yds and the leading passer have 6,000 yards this season if we continue at 9 minute quarters!

I'll be curious to get everyone else's thoughts...I'm fine with keeping it at 9, but I'm the rare breed that prefers a defensive 9-7 battle over a 41-35 game!!

2. babydemon90

babydemon90 Walk On

Is this with accelarated runoff?

3. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    As I told you last night Simms, I have no problem switching to 8 min quarters. I would like to see how it goes for the rest of the week though.

4. spliff616

spliff616 Walk On

I agree, I think we should play a couple of games to really get a feel for the settings before we change too much.

I ran a scrimmage with the Bucs and while I can't remember the stats, I don't think there were out of line.

5. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Also in agreement. The Bucs vs. Raiders stats were pretty spot on and with 9 minute quarters it felt comfortable. I've actually played all my online games with 9 minutes and accelerated clock and have no issues.

6. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

Me and Seachicken scrimmaged last night and I thought our game was pretty spot on as well. I don't have the stats but the game didn't seem too long.

7. Matt54987

Matt54987 Walk On

9 or 10 minutes with accelerated clock is about spot-on.

9 minutes without accelerated clock is just not good lol

8. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    I'm pretty sure the setting is on 9 min with 15 sec accel clock (I HOPE)

9. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

Just played week 1 game took 1 hour 3 minutes. (granted one team was running well so the clock stayed moving. scores were reasonable. Rushing is difficult as it should be, if you have a top end OL its somewhat easier. but overall, I think these settings play well after one game.

10. Austin811

Austin811 Go Dbacks!

I think it should be moved to 8 quarters, there was a 70 point game between ravens and jets, im about 90% sure that game is gonna be low scoring

11. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

I had a defensive game against mycork, ended 17-16. Missed two FGs and he missed an XP because of the laggy kick meter though.

12. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Just because the game is between two notorious great defenses doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be a low scoring game.

13. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Just an FYI...I wasn't demanding a change to 8 min quarters. My only thought was that Defense seems to be very difficult on this year's game, which will lead to more yards and more points. I'm down for 8 or 9 min quarters....Adrian Peterson and I look forward to smashing the single-season rushing record if we decide to keep it at 9 (currently on pace for 4,800 yards)!!

14. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Maybe you just suck at D this year, ever thought of that? (y)

15. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

mix in a pass play Jsimms damn almost 300 yards for AP and 40 yards passing for farve you might as well have TJ hand the ball off and let Farve retire!!!!

16. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Its because AP is just sick in this game. Why throw the ball when you have a RB like that.

17. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

I understand AP may be sick, but if this is a sim league, shouldn't there be more balance?

18. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Well AP had 23 carries, Favre had 13 pass attempts. Not outrageous by any means, it's the yards that's eyepopping, but he had 2 70+ yard runs and a 50+ yard run.

19. Brewskie19

Brewskie19 I Bleed Green & Gold!

AP

AP won't run like that against the Packers!

20. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

So far more games have been under 60 points total than over by far. which is very much inline with what you see on Sundays. I have played a few scrims and one league game I think its about as close as it could be. Teams with higher ratings are for the most part beating teams with lower ratings. and if a better owner has a scrub team and goes up against a weaker owner with a top team. its a challenge for both.

I wanted to play all-pro and I'm so glad we didnt. tighter coverage, better tackling, smaller holes. Its fun. I feel like if you call the correct D get your guys in position, they will reward you for the most part. unlike all-pro where any moron can score.

Kicking is a prob. But so was the new Dpad for audibles and I've got it memorized. I'm sure I will have kicking down shortly.

21. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Glad to hear seachicken. Its very hard to deny that user games are more enjoyable on all-madden. It plays way better than that arcade mode they call all-pro.

22. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I'm looking forward to seeing the PvP games on All-Madden. We shall see.

23. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

well written, agreed.

24. Inf1ame

Inf1ame Walk On

All-pro is so dumb. Just gonna say that right now. I've played numerous games online this year and every game (granted I'm not the best defensive player) I've had AT LEAST 20 points scored on me (I just finished a game where I was up 47-30 in the first half). The coverage is awful, people break 50+ yard runs like no tomorrow, and kickoff returns are stupidly easy to do.

25. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

the Pats v. Bengals game was good last night I was worried about it going two hours since we didn't get started until about midnight. It took about an hour, I think we both used the game flow a few times and that made the game go by fast. I could argue the reason for our high score is that both of us are bad at defense because I couldn't stop the pass very well, and he couldn't stop the running of Benson. I don't think kicking affected the outcome of our game, but it definetely was an issue.