A Compromise

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

A Compromise

Had a bit of a road trip, and I've been doing some thinking ...

Guys are having real trouble with the sliders (and they are probably the toughest set on TF), and I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I will only get you guys up for playing if most of you succeed well beyond the expectations of your programs. So ...

... I'd like to dial things back a bit, with one exception. I'll come up with a different set of sliders, and I'd like to keep the current set from championship week on. Make a championship game, and you get a killer opponent. Make a bowl, and the team you play will be up for it. Play a user, and you earn whatever you get.

What do you guys think of that?

Here's a set being used in "The Experience." I played with these guys a long time, and they're pretty much like us. What if we start with the set below, tweak week by week, but keep things civil. Then, either in C-Week, or just in the bowls, we crank it up and bring the drama.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    Offense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    QB Accuracy 30 30
    Pass Block 50 60
    WR Catching 50 50
    RB Ability 50 50
    Run Blocking 25 80
    Defense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    Pass Coverage 45 60
    Pass Rush 60 55
    Interceptions 15 30
    Rush Defense 25 70
    Tackling 40 50
    Special Teams HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    FG Power 5 20
    FG Accuracy 35 55
    P Power 5 45
    P Accuracy 35 75
    Kickoff Power 25 45

Here's out set:

Sliders
    Offense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    QB Accuracy 30 40
    Pass Block 50 50
    WR Catching 45 50
    RB Ability 50 70
    Run Blocking 30 100
    Defense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    Pass Coverage 45 65
    Pass Rush 100 100
    Interceptions 50 70
    Rush Defense 0 75
    Tackling 45 50
    FG Power 20 20
    FG Accuracy 20 55
    P Power 50 50
    P Accuracy 100 100
    Kickoff Power 20 20

And here's a possible "regular season" set We might like:

Sliders
    Offense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    QB Accuracy 30 40
    Pass Block 55 (+5) 50
    WR Catching 45 50
    RB Ability 50 70
    Run Blocking 30 100
    Defense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    Pass Coverage 45 55 (-10)
    Pass Rush 100 90 (-10)
    Interceptions 50 50 (-20)
    Rush Defense 0 75
    Tackling 45 50
    FG Power 20 20
    FG Accuracy 20 55
    P Power 50 50
    P Accuracy 100 100
    Kickoff Power 20 20

This final set leaves the CPU offense alone, meaning we have to d-up well to win, yet it opens up some things in the passing game, but it by no means makes our games easy. We leave in the element of explosiveness on the part of the CPU, but we allow users to make more plays, drain more clock, and better control the outcomes of games they should win, but leave in enough danger to make guys fear the CPU defense a bit, and maybe not swing for the fences on every play. Guys will still lose playing this set, but those losses will come because of dumb plays rather than at the hands of a CPU who never makes a mistake.

That sound fair to you guys?

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Keep in mind - too much success will kill a league as quickly as too much failure. I'm probably always going to be pushing for tougher wins.

However, I understand that I am a bit of a junkie, and not everyone is going to do what I do, or should be expected to do so.

I'll lighten up a bit, too. I promise.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Also, if guys are taking big losses in TDL2, and since we aren't going to dial it back much in that league, I won't mind if guys don't want to hang in. It's going to remain bloody.

4. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

AG, I'm hesitant to make any changes this quickly. We sort of expected a bumpy start, right? I just think a fair shake is needed. Also, I'd hate to see the main league become a semi-lab, where we are tweaking things every week or so. No one set is going to please everyone.

If we lighten things up, I'd it to stay that way for the season, until championship week, of course. Otherwise, we're going to have lab-like user reviews following every game, and I'd hate for that to be the focus. The game summaries/story-lines should be!

As always, I'll support the group. I want what's best for the whole. I'm just concerned that we're not giving the challenge a good enough shot yet. And this is coming from a dude with the shittiest team in the league. I'll be pissed off quite a bit in the coming weeks.

Lastly, when will we be able to access the league online again? ;)

5. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

i think we are playing with our dicks too much and not having enough fun is what i think. lets speed this garbage up and get back to enjoying it regardless if you get your ass kicked or not. in other words....

...^^^this!

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I have no idea what's going on with the league file. I'm not even in the state, and I haven't touched it.

What if I just loosen up the user passing game a bit - back of the pressure a touch, loosen the coverage a touch, drop the INTs a touch.

Leave CPU offense as is, but loosen things for guys who make their living in the air. I make mine on the ground, so I won't touch that.

If our scores get silly, we put things back at mid-season. No week by week, but some discussion here and there, in a single thread. Besides, by looking at the tuning pack, it appears adjustments are going to be necessary anyway. Some of the stuff they touched has direct bearing on the changes I made.

7. egofailure

Fair point here. And the slight loosening up with the expectation of getting back to the current set doesn't seem too bad.

I'm just worried about making your NC bid easier now that a couple of contenders have early season blemishes. ;)

8. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

i am fine with whatever. i actually liked the idea of pulling from another dynasty who have been around for awhile.

9. egofailure

Especially considering they're a die-hard bunch!

10. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Haha, that's an understatement.

I've somehow managed to get in 1) The fastest dynasty on the site 2) The dynasty filled with the biggest geeks

Both sets are die-hard!

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

How are the sliders working out for you guys? Are users untouchable, or do you get knocked around a bit?

12. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

I don't think the sliders are that unbearable to change them up again. My last game sucked, but so what. Losses will happen.

My issue with my last game was that it turned into a track meet and I really don't enjoy those kind of games, win or lose.

13. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

for TDL2 are we locked into teams, I am all for making it hard, I love it but i am going to pull my bitch card and wondering if I could switch to a better bad team, if not its understanable, i will hang tough with WKU and never bitch again....(on this topic)

14. egofailure

Who the in the world would hire you after that 73 - 7 UK ass woopin' you received? ;)

15. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I edited the initial post of this thread. Have a look and let me know what you think.

16. egofailure

I really like the idea of having the championship games/bowl games dialed up to be harder/more intense. So if our current set represents that portion of the season, that could work.

Are the regular season sliders you posted from "The Experience" League? In looking over their website, they had a pretty intense discussion recently over cheese play due to ridiculous numbers being put up. I just don't want to see every player winning every game each week. Without the challenge, it's no fun. Plus, us smaller schools want to see the big dogs whimper from time to time! ;)

Aside from that concern, the plan seems fine. Just keep this in mind ... if Bull' doesn't botch a 20 yard field goal and 'Slyke doesn't blow a two-score lead late in the 4th, are we even having this discussion?