A couple of clarifications ...

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by BlyGilmore, Sep 24, 2012.

1. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Just to clear up either some things that were unintentionally misspoken, or misunderstood over the weekend ...

- There is no requirement to tell your opponent you're going for it on 4th down. If you had headsets on its a nice courtesy, but otherwise you don't have to. Instead the defense is expected to wait until they're told what formation the offense is in before picking its play.

(This kind of thing used to be a rule back when Madden didn't do a great job telling you what formation/package the offense was in, or if it did you weren't given enough time to change - neither is the case any more).

- As I mentioned a couple of times before, "he couldn't stop it so I kept doing it," "it's what team X (who's a bit radical) does in real life," and "it's my offense/defense" aren't good excuses for why something you did should be considered sim. Best example ... the colts for years. if you ran the Colts offense you'd be kicked out of 9 out of 10 leagues. And that 10th league was run by an 8 year old.

- Variety is always the key. The more different types of things you do, the better. If that voice is talking to you in the back of your head ... ask myself, Ryno or another person you trust. Trust me - we won't hold it against you and want to see 32 guys all playing good ball. (Because it makes our lives easier).

- Shotgun. Yeah teams use it like crazy in the NFL. But even the shotguniest teams lineup in traditional formations 35 percent of the time. Aim for around 50 percent of your plays from shotgun and we'll be all good.

- Running. Like anything else, mix it up. Doesn't mean you can't have a style or a system, but you should still be decently balanced. And run the plays like their diagrammed. If you do that the majority of the time, its not as big of a deal when you're sealed up and bounced it outside on a nice read. But if you do it consistently, it seems like you never meant to run it inside.

- When in doubt, drop Ryno or I a line. Let us know what you thought was out of line or not. Depending on the severity we'll either keep the info in our back pocket and see if it comes up again, or reach out to other teams and see what they experienced.

- Generally going to be three courses of action.

1) Friendly reminder. There were a couple of minor things that need to be tweaked, but nothing to get overly excited about.

2) Warning. You'll be told what you did, why it isn't cool, and what you need to do in the future.

3) Banhammer. Reserved for either an egregiousness "wtf were you thinking" move, or somebody who had a warning and paid it no heed.

2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Just kind of an observation, but its too hard to run a no huddle in Madden. No play choices, like NCAA where the whole playbook is available. I feel totally handcuffed the couple of times I've ran a 2 minute drill, it really sucks. Okay...back on topic.

3. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Also (and this is also a repeat), recaps are expected whether you win or lose. The winner is expected to write two or three paragraphs about the game in general. The loser is expected to reply with about a paragraph of their take.

So win or lose, against human or computer, we want to hear from you. Think of it almost like a post-game press conference.