A favor to ask of all of you.

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by hurdrs123, Nov 6, 2009.

1. hurdrs123

hurdrs123 Walk On

A favor to ask of all of you.

Hi, my name is Richard Hurd and I have a favor to ask of all of you on this board. I have a Ethics project due this week and my topic is "Should sports teams be stripped of titles if players used P.E.D's", and since this is a website dedicated mostly to football video games players I figure a few of you are actual sports fans. So if you have a couple minutes of free time, I'd be greatly in debt for your kindness if you could fill out this survey I've created.

Thank you, Richard Hurd

Pleas copy and paste all the info below and answer with a yes or no, and if you wish to elaborate on your answer more that would be greatly appreciated.

If you don't wish for other people to see your opinion you can PM on the site.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    First Name:

1) Do you think sports teams should be stripped of titles if players on the team used P.E.D's?
    Explanation:

2) Do you think the team is tainted in history in any way?
    Explanation:

3) Does the quality of the player or the amount of players on the team make a difference?
    Explanation:

4) Are you a fan of any team that would fall under this question? (Please list team if answer is yes)
    Explanation:

5) When a player is proved to have used P.E.D's do you think the punishment should be based on the players individual achievements or on the his team?
    A) Player B) Team
    Explanation:

6) Is it alright for a player to use a P.E.D (HGH) if he says the only purpose is to recover quicker from injury?
    Explanation:

7) Does it make a difference if a player tests positive for using steroids or if he tests positive for HGH, or is it the same thing?
    A) Difference(If so why) B) Same thing
    Explanation:

8) Would you forgive a player who tested positive for a P.E.D after he had served his punishment?
    Explanation:

Once again thank you for taking the time to fill this out

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

First Name: Bryan

1) Do you think sports teams should be stripped of titles if players on the team used P.E.D's? No
    Explanation: It is my personal feeling that many players on many teams use these drugs, and that many of them cannot or are not detected. In any given season, if we knew all of the facts somehow (let's say we're God) we might be able to quantify the effects of the drugs that were taken and determine that one team received a significant boost. Or maybe we'd find out that it's a wash. Who knows. Overall, I don't see enough evidence to indicate to me that we should strip titles. In fact in my opinion every team has players on them that use.

2) Do you think the team is tainted in history in any way? Yes
    Explanation: Assuming you mean that a team is found to have a player that uses and it greatly enhances his performance (think Manny prior to being caught this year) then yes, it does. Maybe not in everybody's eyes, but if you're a fan of that team, people can always bust your chops by talking about the user and saying your team had an advantage. As I said above, I think all teams benefit by PEDs in some way or another, but perception is often reality.

3) Does the quality of the player or the amount of players on the team make a difference? NO/YES
    Explanation: I guess I don't understand the meaning of "make a difference." That's too vague. If you're saying does it make a difference in the perception: Obviously. Should it make a difference in a perfect world where all crimes are punished equally? Maybe not. But in the Barry Bonds case, a player uses PEDs and goes from a HOFer to a certified monster, and extends his career several years while breaking hallowed records. Obviously, it made a huge difference in the perception of him because of that. If he'd been caught or perceived as being a user and had great stats but none of the records... Not as much hatred is thrown his way.

4) Are you a fan of any team that would fall under this question? (Please list team if answer is yes) Yes
    Explanation: Again, I think all teams in football/baseball have users. Basketball... maybe not, only 12 guys, I could see a clean team in the NBA but still not all that likely. I root for the Padres, who had Ken Caminiti. Others on my favorite teams have tested positive as well.

5) When a player is proved to have used P.E.D's do you think the punishment should be (based?) on the players individual achievements or on the his team?
    A) Player B) Team.......... A
    Explanation: Again the question is a bit unclear. This could be cleaned up a bit but I'm guessing you're saying should his punishment be only for him or should the team also be penalized. I'd say the player. This is one instance where for the most part players are going to keep it a secret from other players on the team. On any team you're going to have a percentage that "would never do that," another percentage that are in the middle, and another percentage that do use. The players probably don't always know where ALL of their fellow players stand. Players probably keep their PED use quiet for the most part. Teams should have a strong anti-drug policy but should not be penalized for the choices of the players.

6) Is it alright for a player to use a P.E.D (HGH) if he says the only purpose is to recover quicker from injury? No
    Explanation: I'm not a doctor or knowledgeable about the effects to really answer this, but overall, if it's on the banned substances list you should not use it no matter the reason.

7) Does it make a difference if a player tests positive for using steroids or if he tests positive for HGH, or is it the same thing?
    A) Difference(If so why) B) Same thing....... A
    Explanation: Here I'm gonna say there's difference purely because there IS a difference in terms of the substances being used. But again I'm not a doctor or knowledgeable about the effects to give a substantive reason for my opinion.

8) Would you forgive a player who tested positive for a P.E.D after he had served his punishment? Yes
    Explanation: This is another one that is difficult. I do not judge players that take steroids. There are worse people in the world. I have a problem with Bonds breaking so many records because of drugs, (if that's what happened) but there's nothing to "forgive" in my opinion. I don't hold a grudge or something, I'm just disappointed it happened. It's easier to "forgive" a player if it was a one-time incident or if there is evidence that it didn't greatly impact his career, than a player that likely used for several years straight while rewriting the record books. That's just how I see it. But I'm not sitting here angry at Barry Bonds right now.

Once again thank you for taking the time to fill this out .. (YW)

3. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

First Name:Greg

1) Do you think sports teams should be stripped of titles if players on the team used P.E.D's?
    Explanation: Depends totally on the situation. If it was just one player and was just caught i would really have to say no. Unless the fact that the team had given the product to the player or knew about it first hand. I dont believe in punishing a team for a single players error

2) Do you think the team is tainted in history in any way?
    Explanation: I would have to say no here also only the player i think is tainted. I cant see tainting an entire team for what happens to just one player. Now if there was cheating done by the entire team then its tainted but just one player i cant see the team as a whole being tainted

3) Does the quality of the player or the amount of players on the team make a difference?
    Explanation: Quality no if he was great before he is going to be great anyways. If you are asking how many players use on the team then yes it makes a difference. I mean if half the team is using and thats the half that starts then yes it does matter

4) Are you a fan of any team that would fall under this question? (Please list team if answer is yes)
    Explanation: Chicago Cubs "Sosa" "Palmero"

5) When a player is proved to have used P.E.D's do you think the punishment should be on the players individual achievements or on the his team?
    A) Player B) Team
    Explanation: A. Player should be banned from sport. You can use PED and make hall of fame but dont bet on your team to win or you are banned. Seriously betting is the #1 disease in all of america and you get banned for that but use Drugs you still have a shot at making it to the hall of fame

6) Is it alright for a player to use a P.E.D (HGH) if he says the only purpose is to recover quicker from injury?
    Explanation: Nope, what most people dont understand is that it helps heal faster but it also helps get hurt faster. Thats why time heals is a true quote

Explanation: Same thing

8) Would you forgive a player who tested positive for a P.E.D after he had served his punishment?
    Explanation: Yep but should still be banned from the game. Its really simple to clean up the sport by lifetime bann. Who would really take the risk to get tested positive then

Once again thank you for taking the time to fill this out

4. hurdrs123

hurdrs123 Walk On

Thanks to the 2 who filled it out. Now just a couple more:)

5. hurdrs123

hurdrs123 Walk On

bump****

6. hurdrs123

hurdrs123 Walk On

Come on, atleast one more of you guys have to have an opinion on this. Pretty pretty please with sugar on top :)

7. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

First Name:Brian

1) Do you think sports teams should be stripped of titles if players on the team used P.E.D's? No
    Explanation: You would have to strip every World Series title from the last 10 years, some PED's don't have tests currently, and if you assume every team in baseball/football has at least one player on PED's then isn't the playing field level anyway?

2) Do you think the team is tainted in history in any way? No
    Explanation: I don't think people will remember in 40 years how many members of the Yankees this year tested positive, or admitted PED usage. In 60 years very few of us that lived through it will be around.

3) Does the quality of the player or the amount of players on the team make a difference? No.
    Explanation: They are banned substances and in most cases illegal period.

4) Are you a fan of any team that would fall under this question? (Please list team if answer is yes) Yes.
    Explanation: I assume that every team has at least one player on PED's. Football and Baseball anyway. You don't hear much about PED's in Basketball.

5) When a player is proved to have used P.E.D's do you think the punishment should be based on the players individual achievements or on the his team?
    A) Player B) Team no and no
    Explanation: The punishment should be the same for everyone.

6) Is it alright for a player to use a P.E.D (HGH) if he says the only purpose is to recover quicker from injury? NO
    Explanation: You will heal naturally. Maybe not as quick as you would like, but your body will heal from a physical injury that has sidelined you. If it's an injury that has trouble healing it's probably a sign that you need to move on, either way it's not ok to use PED's, and illegal drugs at that to heal from an injury.

Explanation: B different drug, same purpose.

8) Would you forgive a player who tested positive for a P.E.D after he had served his punishment? As a fan yes, but only because there are so many that have been caught, including some of the best players of our era that it makes me think some of these guys felt like they had to use them to keep up with everyone else....really sad, sorted state of affairs.
    Explanation: