A few ideas ...

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

A few ideas ...

So, since it looks like we're starting up the discussion again, I thought I'd put a few things out there. Here are some of the things I would like to propose.

1. Team Blogs - As in actual team blogs. Click here for a test version of one. These would allow us to post in entirely new ways.

I imagine a central OFFL blog page that links to all the others through a series of logos in the margins. It's all free. Guys who want to use the forum instead can feel free to, but the blog allows up to post pics and vids from our PCs rather than from easportsworld ... meaning no limit to how many we can have at a time. We can add pretty much anything to our pages (I added video, pics, and some copied articles from the TF site, just to give a sense of what we can do.) A couple of the TF guys already have these blogs up and running. We link them from the forums, so it's just like clicking on a thread. It just has more stuff in it.

This is idea one. What do you guys think?

AG

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

FYI - blogger is actually easier than the forums, so don't worry about tech skills. You don't need any.

Oh, all discussion will still happen here of course. There is no forum component to the blog pages. This forum is still central. It is still THE hub for the league.

AG

3. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

I think it's a great replacement for Game Summary and Recruiting threads - I'd certainly like to do one, though I'd like to put all my teams on one page. Sort of my shrine to NCAA football.

Hell, my 52 year-old mom has a blog. I'm behind the technological 8-ball.

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

OK then, maybe the front page links by member rather than by team. That way, each member has the freedom to post anything from any league they play in.

Sounds like an easy enough thing to do.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Idea Number Two

OK, idea number two is a little more conventional.

2 - I think we need way for potential new members to get quick information on us (basic settings, what "kind" of league we are, what openings we have, what teams are taken and available, what info we need from them [a 30-second application would be nice], etc.) I think this needs to be a semi-professional looking item, whether it is a post in these forums or something else.

Basically, we need to make it easier for guys to ask to play here. We won't have to do much selling, but it would be nice to be able to tell a guy "just go to x and follow the instructions" when someone asks about playing here. Also, it would give me something to link to when I go recruiting.

AG

6. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Im digging the blog thing. It looks like its something that is far beyond my tech skills but I'll trust AG when says its easier than posting summaries in the forum so I would definately be willing to give a go.

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Everything you see on that blog took me about half an hour to put together. It's really simple, and the best part about it is, if you screw something up, you can delete it. You have complete control over your blog. Post, experiment, make mistakes; it doesn't matter. Nothing is permanent, unless you want it to be.

AG

8. I am on board for ideas #1 and #2. The blog idea seems fun and making it easy for new coaches is great while still giving them all the info they need. I also think that whatever we choose needs to be easily seen by other coaches. I enjoy following the other teams and my only fear is that I would be blogging to myself.

9. I had asked on the site thread about RSS feeds. Since its hard to tell when each of my 3 leagues advanced. (IE. early, late etc.)

If we had a blog strictly for the OFFL advance, we could easily subscribe to the RSS feed and know exactly when we advanced.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

This is a good idea, and completely doable.

Also, once we sign up, we can "follow" the other members, meaning when we log in to our own page, we get updates on recent posts, if we follow that player. I'm pretty sure we would all follow every member, so the audience should be better than on the forums, I think. And rather than scrolling thorough numerous posts on a thread, on the blog, the most recent thing is at the top. Plus, with all the customizable options, it's possible that we might spend some time on each others' sites, if only to steal ideas and widgets for our own.

It should be similar to what we're doing now, only with more options.

11. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I love both ideas. I started off the Oregon thread as a blog, but due to a lack of interest in anything that I wrote I gave up on it. I would definitely be interested in re-kindling this idea for the new game. A thread or blog with RSS feed capability to find out about advances is also a great idea!

I read this in the other thread, but figured I would respond here. I really would LOVE to continue as Oregon in the NCAA 10 version of the game. HOWEVER, it seems that the East is really lacking in contributors from this version. I would be willing to switch to Cincinnati or Rutgers (ughhhh -- yeah I am from NJ but F RUTGERS) if the powers that be think it would be a good idea. I am just looking to continue having fun with my favorite sport!

To summarize:

1) Love the idea of the blog.
    2) Love the idea of RSS feeds being incorporated.
    3) First choice remains Oregon, but I would switch to Cinci or Rutgers to balance things out.

Guys, the next edition of this game looks phenominal. I am glad to share a passion for football, and more specifically college football, with all of you that are active over here. Honestly speaking, if it wasn't for this game, I would be in the bar every night.

12. I love CU but if needed in the East I could only take ND. ;)

Check it out...... BUFFS

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Nice. Didn't take long, did it?

14. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Yeah, nice stuff. I'm eager to get one going myself.

15. It was actually quite painless. Their editing options allow for anyone to do it very easily.

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Quick Update:

We're currently discussing how we might keep this in house. The site basically operates just like a blog page, so we may be able to do all of this right here with our own pages, logins, etc. Key word = might. This conversation is just starting. More as it develops.

AG

17. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Yeah that is pretty cool. Definitely easier/more organized than trying to blog on a forum.

18. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

The blog seems like a good idea, alot better than summary threads. And ive never ran a blog but if you say its easy then im sure ill catch on quickly.

19. ReagleBeagle

ReagleBeagle Guest

Yes, the blogging is a much better idea. The game summaries that recreate those in the game are a waste of everyone's time as we can easily look these up on the Xbox if we wanted to. The written editorial summaries can be interesting to read and quick to write.

20. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I definitely agree with reagle

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Good. I was actually expecting some pushback from guys who aren't familiar with the whole blog thing. What sells me on it is the ease and the ability to upload from my own computer rather than using urls to post pics and vids. It is much easier to work within and manipulate that the forums are, whether we use a blogger setup (like my example) or the WordPress system this site runs on. Both are pretty user friendly.

22. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

No pushback, just know that it will need to be explained step by step like you are explaining it to a 1st grader. Hell, most 1st graders are probably more computer literate than me nowadays.

23. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It's just as simple as everyone is saying it is. It's free, so just create an account and start goofing with it. Create a blog, give it a random name and post some nonsense, add a few apps, etc. Once you feel you have some idea what to do, start one for your team. It's much easier than learning to read defenses.

24. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

In the forum's defense, it is almost JUST as easy to post those type of summaries here. Just type your article, and hit post. Same difference. Really the only thing that is different is the flow. It comes down to people actually wanting to WRITE summaries, rather than just post the stats. Only a few of us have actually written stuff, and even fewer people have commented on other stories besides their own. What motiviation is there to write content if no one is going to take the time to drop a line to say they read it and they liked it? I am not saying that you should force responses, but if you read it and liked it, why not tell the author? In ALL forms of dynasty reporting, this is what drives the author to keep producing good reports.

I don't see how this will change from here (the forum) to the blog. The only change that I see that will influence this will be an increased excitement brought by the new game and the fast-approaching college football season.

By the way, above was me playing devil's advocate. I am in favor of going to the actual blog format, clearly, since I began my Oregon summaries thread as a blog-type format. However, I feel like there are some really good points above that need to be addressed. As I stated earlier in this thread, I stopped posting actual creative content because no one seemed to give a shit. Writing creative summaries takes time and effort, and is not written for the author to just write -- it is for the enjoyment of the league.

As you guys know I do not hide my opinions ever. I am not mad at anyone for this, and understand why the interest in the league has cooled down a bit -- it is natural. It is almost May. Baseball time. Go outside and do something time. I think this will mostly all rectify itself for the new college football season, but I would be interested in hearing opinions on any and all of this.

25. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Yeah I agree with most of that Basis. I don't expect people to come out of their seats and give me praise for the very average write-ups that I do but when I have an unbelievable come from behind win vs. a much better Penn State squad and I feel I do a pretty good job relaying that excitement on my post and no one comments at all I just assume no one read it and kind of deflates the whole thing. No biggie, I certainly don't want it dictated to people that they have to post comments or something but more people on the forums/blogs would be good.
    I have a pretty nasty (bad) team this year but I have lost zero passion for this game and look forward to next season when hopefully I will at least be in the 80's for a team rating.
    I truely believe that the game is much more fun for guys like myself that don't go out and destroy the CPU every game. My games vs. the good CPU teams are tough, many times down to the wire, and so I look forward to every single game. You guys that put up huge stats and win 50 - 7 vs. even the really good CPU teams, no wonder you lose interest easily. I proved to myself in the 4th quarter vs. PSU that if I wanted to go downfield all game and really open up my passing attack I could probably put up 45 - 50+ pts. on the CPU every game, and not have many close games. I am not going to do that because A. I don't think that is realistic and B. Where is the fun/challenge in doing that? I will continue to mix it up, give my FB 3-5 carries a game, throw to all my receivers, not keep going back to pass or run plays that I know are almost guaranteed, try to drive it up and down the field with 10 play drives, and if I need to open it up in the 4th to come back or pull away, I will do that. To me that is realistic football and it makes the game much more fun.