A Few Key Principles for Club Play

Discussion in 'TFCL - Tradition Futbol Clubs League' started by Drifterbub, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    1) Don't be lazy. Change your pro to match whatever position you play. Not everyone on the site is a goal scorer. You should't move your ST or CAM back and play CDM or any of the back line. Mold your player to the position you are currently playing. It literally takes a few seconds.

2) If you show up late, don't jump into a position that someone else was playing. This forces them to back out and change their guy. Plus, it's rude. They were there first.

3) Keep your size in mind. If you aren't going to be challenging for air balls, your guy needs to be shorter than 5'10''. Look at real life soccer players for examples. CBs should be the biggest guys on the team and still, you don't see a lot of JJ Watt sized guys play at the elite level. An athletic CB can easily make up for a few inches in height.

Feel free to add more guys.

• Like Like x 1
  2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

[​IMG]

3. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

That's what she said?

4. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    If only you were a percentage as funny as you think you are...

5. KnightNoles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

I think the biggest thing we still need to keep in mind is spacing and positioning. we're a lot better than we were a few years back, but I still think it gets in our way some times. I also think we tried to push the ball a bit too much instead of making good passes and keeping possession. Not a lot, but a little bit.

In a perfect world I'd love to see us have a pre-defined system. So anybody can come in, find out where they're playing, and tweak their pro to fit that. IMO part of that is also figuring out who fits best where.

In the long run I think this would help all of us get better and help avoid any confusion. For instance if you're playing LM at 5'7", geared for crosses, runs down the side and cutting back into the middle, maybe you shouldn't be challenging your 6'3" striker for that near post cross.

Plus it'll make our attach more varied. Right now we really basically play with two wingmen and three free-roaming strikers who look to do it all. And we certainly don't have a back to the goal, in the box aerial threat.

I like the formation we played last night, so maybe something like this ...

4-1-3-2
    LB - Pacey. In the 5'10" range. Athletic. Good crosser and can shoot from distance. Left footed.

LCB - Tall and strong. Killer of the aerial threat. Concentrates more on defense than offense.

RCB - Smaller, more athletic CB. Can speed back and breakup the counter attack. More sure on the ball but should be looking to link up with the midfielders.

RB - More defensive than the LB. Bit taller and stronger. Looking to stay back more and doesn't often get involved in the offense. Right footed.

CDM - Holding midfielder. His job is to get the ball back, then be able to effectively pass to start the attack. Needs to be fast enough to cover a lot of ground, but also strong enough to shove little bastards off the ball.

LM - Fast, smaller player who can blaze down the wing and send in crosses, or cut back in toward the middle and shoot from outside. Shouldn't be a liability on defense. Left footed.

CAM - Little bigger and stronger than the wing guys. Good dribbler who can get into space and open up passing lanes. Should be the focal point of the attack's build up. Think of him as the point guard.

RM - Same as the LM, but right footed.

LS - Targetman. Should be big and strong. His job is to occupy the CBs, opening up room for other players. Doesn't look to make too many runs as a result. Can hold the ball up on the attack until in the box - where he needs to be an aerial threat and a nimble dribbler. This guy should be looking to get into positions to get the ball and shoot - he isn't a creator.

RS - Smaller, faster forward who looks to harass the defense and get behind on runs. More of your all-around guys who can pass, shoot or try and create his own shot with his face at goal. Think Messi.

• Like Like x 4
  7. BlyGilmore

here's my other question. does the lineup screen lock when we're playing a game? or if we have 10 guys can we have Team A and Team B, Team A goes into the lineup and starts a game. And once they're in, Team B jumps in the lineup and finds a different game?

8. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yeah it locks up. You can see where everyone is playing, though.

9. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    mcyork - I saw your comment in the chat box. It's not that I don't like that your pro is really big, I just wanted to make it easier on you. You will be able to do so much more if he is a littler smaller and can move around better.

10. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

I was pleased with my play at CAM last night. It was like riding a bike, after a couple of games passing slowed down and I really was able to hit some passes I didn't think I could.

but that aside, anything you guys can critique on my play is welcome, sometimes you don't notice faults until you hear it.

11. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Drifterbub no bro I get what you are saying I did switch it up I just saw the post in the here and thought about what you said to me last night. I like him 6'1" more than 6'4" he moves much better and I don't get burned nearly as much but I do get pushed around a bit...just giving you a hard time no worries.

12. KnightNoles

RyanC

Let me play CAM, that is all (y)

13. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I personally liked the 4-2-3-1 that we played last week, at least from a spacing stand point. Leaving either Drifter or Del up top as the lone forward really opened up space for them to make some runs and get open in the box for crosses. We've also got a couple of guys that are very good CDM's to fill in there. One thing I think we could work on is switching the field of play in the attacking 3rd. A lot of times we make a pass from the wing to the CAM or a central striker, and the ball either goes right down the middle at goal, or back to the same wing when the opposite side of the field is wide open. I think we do a good job of swinging it around in the back and midfield, but up top we tend to get stuck going down the same side at least from my point of view. We have mixed up our attacks much better this year than we did last year though. And I even saw somebody play that diagonal pass to the top of the box that DelZaster has been talking about for months :p

14. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

yeah you're really good at running away from the ball so you fit that roll well. :rolleyes:

15. KnightNoles

Set you up a few times and scored... so quit trollin me!

16. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

But did you hit a sweet cross field through ball? I think not. (y)

17. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

I know you like to think you have a lock on the position, but you don't. So stop with the let me play CAM.

• Like Like x 2
  18. MoonBBad

Great effing post.

19. MoonBBad

Here are some thing I wanted to post:

1. Talk more (especially on defense) - the back line needs to communicate with each other who is taking ball and who is running to the box on break aways it's critical.
    2. Set up your passing on Semi or Auto, please don't play on manual. I know you manual people think it's the end all be all, but a lot of the times it fucks shit up and you end up looking like a dufus when your cross goes over the goal.
    3. Switch your view to TELE - don't play on the Pro view, it sucks.
    4. For you folks on defense, hit select so the camera follows your player, not the ball. That makes it easier to keep an eye on the strikers from the other team, and will make sure you keep that back line pushed up and not so far back.
    5. Play the ball backwards to go forwards -- It's OK to pass backwards if you have no space to advance. That will ease the pressure and allow more runs to be made to advance forward.
    6. Always look for the easy pass. Too many times people are trying to thread the needle when there is something open right in front of them. Passing creates space, space leads to goals.

That is all for now. :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

thank you , for those of us with no soccer knowledge I think this will help understand how player relate to position , I had no real clue beyond caveman understanding that guys upfront try to score , guys in back dont :D

21. KnightNoles

22. BlyGilmore

I'm new to using it, but IMO manual passing is superior to semi or assisted. The big reason - you can pass a relatively short ball with some stank on it. The flip side is you need to be in better position and make sure there's a path for the pass - versus assisted which finds its way around defenders. Otherwise assisted through balls and crosses are superior.

I agree about the game view. You can tell folks who are playing on pro because their vision passing the ball sucks. if you're not in a 45 degree slice in front of their face they can't see you.

23. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Also I know it is probably well known, but if you hear someone call for a drop, it is simply a passback. Anyone who played before probably knows it but I figured there might be some people who didn't know

24. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, if you aren't on TELE camera (or another that allows you to see more than a 45* cone in front of you) you are doing it wrong.

25. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

always trying to deflect when you get called out.... stop annoying people. Maybe one day you will realize it's you and not everyone else.

• Like Like x 3