A few things as we get ready.

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by RynoAid, Aug 26, 2012.

1. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

BlyGilmore and I are going to be watching activity closely and making sure everyone is doing their part. I I know some are challenged.. Mike E for a few months with real world football gigs so we will work with you.. but I expect most of you to be participating at a high level.

This league WILL be premier before the new year... If you are not a premier member currently, you need to keep that in mind. I already think of it as such, and will require that level of ownership if your going to coach in this league.

If I can make the time to run this league, you can make the time to participate. I have a very busy schedule and won't really be available most nights until after 9EST. So I won't be responding to league stuff until late in the evenings.

I'm working on some settings, right now im testing normal speed, all pro, 11 mins accelerated with 18 on the play clock at huddle break. So that's where I am. I'm going to start working with the speed threshold to get a little more seperation between players.. I don't think there is enough out of the box.

post up with the feedback, be active...

2. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

sounds good. i will do everything I can to help us get to the premier level.

3. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

Sounds good to me. I'll be active, let us know how those settings are, I think I'll use whatever settings you end up with in the 2 man League I have going with a friend.

4. ctvolfan

ctvolfan Vol for Life!!

Getting ready to test those settings you have. Will post results when finished.

5. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

I am more of an indian, so whateva the chief says I will go with. Very excited to start.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Should I be testing spreed threshold at 25 ?

7. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Sounds good, work sent off accross the country while my madden will be at my doorstep release day..dammit!

8. DU55

DU55 Walk On

I'm excited to be a part of a league with such solid commishes, will try out the settings you mentioned as soon as release day hits.

9. CalebMackie

CalebMackie Easy like Sunday morning

I'm super siked about this league and will try out whatever settings you think are the best and give you my thoughts if you care to hear them but honestly I trust your call.

10. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

Are you going to try the slow setting at all, or are you completely against it? Personally, I prefer it. It gives you that split second to make cuts or find the whole that normal does not. Also, I'm in the "cone of uncertainty" for this tropical storm/ hurricane, so if I disappear for a few days that's why.

11. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

I have tried it, i prefer normal for many different reasons...

• Like Like x 3
  12. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

Could be wrong, but normal online is KINDA similar to slow offline...you know,taking into account that "natural lag" that usually comes with playing sports games online. So basically slow online feels more like very slow as opposed to slow, offline.

Or somethin like that...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  13. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Just to embelish on Ryno's post, posting game recaps is the bare minimum in this league. After every game the winner should create a thread talking about the game and post a couple of paragraphs detailing what happened. After that the losing team should reply with a couple of paragraphs on their take. Discussion among them and other players is encouraged.

Come the playoffs everybody here should have a firm grasp on how teams finished the way they did, and certainly not have any 12-4 teams sneak up on us, because we'd have been following their threads all season.

As far as league-forum stuff goes, i'm the opposite of Ryno. I troll the boards most days at work, and tend to not check often when I get home. So between the two of us we should have good coverage. I'm an East Coast guy and usually up until 11 p.m./Midnight Eastern most nights.

As far as straight play goes, "I didn't know" or just plain ignorance isn't a valid excuse IMO. A lot of you guys are new to leagues here, and there'll be some bumps along the way as we mold you into the TSO-way of playing Madden. It's to be expected.

When in doubt, grab somebody and talk things through. Make a post here asking a question BEFORE its a problem. Grab myself or Ryno and ask for a pickup game so we can critique you. There are other veterans here who can steer you in the right direction as well: BRUCE80, Randiesel75, Hokie Effect, MRamirez, @Caleb Mackie and Zetroc are names that jump out at me.

General rule of thumb? Mix things up.

On offense have a decently balanced run/pass ratio (anything over 60 percent pass is a concern). Run many different types of plays. You can run 10 different pass plays but if they're all throwing outs to Calvin Johnson, that's not cool. Same for running. Mix up inside runs, outside runs, counters, draws and dives/isos. You shouldn't run the same play more than one a quarter on offense. And watch for falling into play calling traps, calling the same thing over and over when your back is against the wall.

On defense, mix up man and zone. Run different types of plays although some of the base plays might be called a bit more than you could on offense. Mix up your shifts. Any time i hear "well I ALWAYS do that in that situation" its a step toward cheese. Don't always call the same kind of blitz. Again the rule of the day is mix it up. And blitzing every single down isn't cool either. Again that 60 percent mark is about the threshold.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

15. CalebMackie

CalebMackie Easy like Sunday morning

RynoAid

Not sure if you noticed this but I am currently doing an online league with a friend and no matter what I try to do I can't get the accel clock to run down in a user v user match.

16. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

I totally agree. Going from normal offline to an online match feels very different and even like a totally new game. That's probably why I prefer to play slow against the cpu.