A Freshman Impact

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by OsirisMonster, Oct 19, 2010.

1. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

New seasons often find teams turning to the ultimate underclassman starter, the frosh. In this thread Osiris publications will follow the freshman that could make an impact for their respective teams.

We start with preseason Ohio State.
    Ohio State is set to start true freshman LG Michael Dawson. He is 84 OVR player with 95 ACC, 79 PBK, 88 RBK and only 66 AWR. Can he protect Pryor and open holes for Herron?
    Also set to start is true freshman FS Dwayne Brown. Brown is 84 OVR with 98 SPD, 86 TAK, 83 POW, and 80 ZCV but only 54 AWR. His inexperience could open jeopardize the big play.
    Finally there is true freshman K Quentin Chandler. He is 79 OVR with 79 KAC and KAC. Good aim but lacks deep kicking power.

Alabama, rich in depth, isn't projected to rely on any freshman in critical duty.

Clemson isn't relying on any freshman in key roles. Perhaps a testiment to a poor recruiting class?

Florida isn't relying on any freshman in key roles either.

Florida State is following the Florida lead and starting no seniors.

Georgia Tech will be starting redshirt freshman MLB Jeremiah Attaochu at ROLB. Attaochu is a 77 OVR with 84 SPD, 89 ACC, 82 TAK, and 79 BSH.
    Also starting is redshirt freshman CB Ryan Ayers. He is an 80 OVR with 96 SPD, 86 ACC, 92 MCV, and 85 ZCv.

Defending national champion Iowa looks to start redshirt TE CJ Fiedorowicz. An 80 OVR TE, he brings 87 SPD, 81 CTH, 81 PBK, and 83 RBK.
    Also starting is LOLB Todd Wilcox. He is 79 OVR with 84 SPD/ACC, 85 POW, and 81 BSH.

LSU looks to get production from true freshman HB Scott Simpson. He is 84 OVR with 98 SPD, 99 ACC, and 94 ELU.
    Also starting is true freshman DT Chad Thomas. An 82 OVR he brings 85 STR, 82 TAK, 85 PMV, 88 FMV, and 79 BSH.
    Additionally the Tigers turn to true freshman MLB Matthew Williams. He is an 83 OVR with 90 ACC, 90 TAK, 86 FMV, and 85 BSH.
    Finally there is true freshman K Phil Lake at 83 OVR with 99 KPW but only 69 KAC.

Miami starts true freshman FB Corey Brown. He is an 80 OVR with 93 SPD, 83 TRK, and 70 RBK. A fullback truly fit to play B back.

Notre Dame will start true freshman LG Travis Brock. He is 84 OVR with 98 ACC, 80 PBK, and 75 RBK.
    Redshirt freshman DT Louis Nix could see significant time if AG switches to the 4-3 defense. He is 79 OVR with 79 ACC, 80 TAK, 86 PMV, and 80 BSH.
    At SS true freshman Pierre Fields gets the nod. He is 84 OVR with 89 SPD, 92 ACC, 86 TAK, 83 POW, and 86 BSH.

Penn State will look for protection from RG Ray Cary. He is 84 OVR with 94 ACC, 92 STR, 80 PBK, and 85 RBK.
    They also turn to true freshman K Quincy Andrews. He brings 62 OVR with 69 KPW and 57 KAV. Penn State may rely on sophmore punter Anthony Fera to make field goals this year.

South Carolina will look at true freshman FB Brian Cox. cox is 65 OVR with 94 ACC, 72 PBK, and 76 RBK. Chances are he will not be called on much.

Which freshman will shine and which will see their ass planted on the bench?

2. Urine_Trouble_

Urine_Trouble_ Walk On

I took a risk one of my OLB is higher rated than the starter but I wanted to redshirt him for the long haul. The OLB ahead of him has 89 speed so I wanted to utilize that before he left for the pros

3. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

If anyone saves videos or pictures of their freshman making big plays during the season feel free to post them in this thread. Lets get some hype built around the freshman sensation!

4. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I always find redshirting freshman a difficult decision to make. Sure if I have depth at a position I'll redshirt away. If a player has a chance to see playtime I usually don't redshirt. I know that by doing so I could cost myself having a super redshirt senior player but I figure with the rules on swaying players from leaving I really open myself up to the risk I might loose a guy as a sophmore or junior if I redshirt.

Take my halfback sensastion Scott Simpson, for example. As a true freshman he is 98 SPD / 99 ACC. That is a beast for a HB. I could redshirt him to build his CAR skill and probably advance him to 99 SPD/AGI/ACC before he sees action but if I do that there is a good chance he will bolt as a redshirt Sophmore. I figure I might as well get three solid years out of him before he even thinks about the pros.

5. bdub

bdub Walk On

I don't redshirt much either. I have a QB who came in at 83ovr and a sophmore who rated at 82 so I put a redshirt on the freshman so I will have him ready next year when my starting QB graduates.

6. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I like to redshirt but usually if it is a skill guy with great stats I keep them involved. Olineman usually get the 'Shirt from me quickly so they develop.

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

For me, it's all about need. If you're one of the top 2 guys at a position, I usually don't redshirt. Though, at some skill positions, I do otherwise. I have a RS who would be my #2 QB, but since I know Dayne is going to see all the snaps, I'll let the 3rd string guy play #2 for a year.

For WR, I'll keep a guy if he makes my top five - especially if he can PR/KR for me and save me some hits on my top guys.

OL get a redshirt unless they're the starter. This year, one guy was, and one guy wasn't.

I like to redshirt defenders. That awareness stat really makes a difference, and keeps guys from getting way out of position - a problem I had in game 1. But when a guy is the best you got, you kinda have to play him, even if he makes the occasional freshman blunder.

8. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I'll agree with oline and redshirting. If I have an oline that isn't ranked #1 then I'll redshirt him. Skill positions I only redshirt if they are buried on the depth chart (#5 or below for a WR / #2 for a TE / #3 for a HB). QB I'll redshirt if I have two quality QBs that can play. On defense I'll redshirt if I can to get awareness but I ensure I have atleast two deep depth at any position before redshirting.

9. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I had to play catch-up with Clemson, so I made a lot of promises I wouldn't normally make to pull in recruits. Coach David keeps his promises, so those players did not receive red-shirts, and I've managed to find ways to get them on the field. Here are the 3 to keep an eye on:

SS Jason Miller (78 OVR): He'll be starting as the second strong safety in the 4-2-5. Good coverage skills for a FR, with elite press and hit ratings (90+).

OLB Marvin Washington (76 OVR): He was originally recruited to play safety, but he just doesn't have the speed required to do so. Still, with fantastic cover skills for a LB, he'll see a lot of PT on passing downs. By his JR or SR year, he'll be an absolute beast. Count on it.

WR Austin Jackson: (76 OVR) He's another kid I promised not to red-shirt. His hands need a lot of work (65), so he won't see any time unless we're killin' the clock. Still, he's got great carry/vision/return skills (as well as speed!), so he'll contribute on special teams. Depending on his progress, he might be subject to a red-shirt his sophmore year or be a candidate for a position change (to HB). All these possibilities were discussed before he decided to commit.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The Irish have three true freshmen making serious contributions in their first year in South Bend:

1. :4stars:SS - Pierre Fields (Rating = 84): Fields is the starting strong safety for the Irish this season, as last year's starter and Fiesta bowl hero Harrison Smith transferred at the end of the season, possibly believing he had played his last game as a starter. Fields is a do-everything kind of kid, not the best on the team in any single category, but doing almost everything well. Fields made some big plays in week 1, and looks to continue his solid play. Prediction: Fields makes the Freshman All-American team without much difficulty.
    2. :4stars:OG - Travis Brock (Rating = 84): This man-child is unbelievably quick for his size. At 6-1 and 328 pounds, Brock has a speed rating of 78, and an acceleration rating of 98. Add that to pretty good strength for a youngster (85) and you have a kid with serious potential. Now, if he can just avoid the false start penalties ... (he had two in week one).
    3. :5stars: WR - Chris Hill (Rating = 82): Hill is the prototypical speedster. At 5-10 and just 165 pounds, Hill relies on his speed (93) and his blazing acceleration (99) to get him out of the line of fire. This year, he won the starting KR/PR role, and Coach has already thrown him a couple of screen passes in week one, so we know how he'll be used going forward.

11. TD351

TD351 Walk On

HB - Kevin Johnson will get a lot of carries in the GaTech "ground raid" multiple back system. With 91 speed and 6'1-196lbs he is a good mix of speed and size on roster that mostly features sub-180lb speedsters at HB.

12. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Is Nix starting as your 2nd DT?

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

These guys are true freshmen. I didn't list Nix because he's a a RS-FR. Technically, though, I guess he still makes the list.

14. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Sweet. I'm going to include redshirt freshman in my report but I'll mark them as such. As years progress I think the number of true freshman starters should diminish as teams build depth.

15. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

This is exactly why I think long and hard about red-shirts. Is it worth wasting a year to build him up ... so he can go pro as a sophomore or junior?