A King's View - Madden Review

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by BobJr, Aug 26, 2012.

1. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

It's that time of year and with the sweet scene of a pigskin flying through the air there is only one thing I could be talking about. Madden. After a long, anticipated wait, Madden 13 is finally upon us. This year's release could be one for the ages and the guys from Tiburon have raised the ante with Real Time Physics, updated passing mechanics and an all new way to play your favorite mode. These few things only scratch the surface of what EaSports has done. A long time coming for a franchise that has seen the gaming world nearly pass them by.

When you first turn the game you notice an epic introduction to the game. One of the greatest defenders of all time is there to essentially "Pump" you up. Such an iconic opening to Madden. Nothing gets the blood flowing more, well almost nothing.

From there you get to the menu where you can pick a few options. But, let's say you jump into a Play Now game. The first thing that will catch your eye is the all new presentation, and it only gets better from there. After you get a feel for the introduction of the star players in the game, you will hear a new tandem calling the game. Jim Nantz and Phil Simms replace the over-the-top Gus Johnson. These guys seem to ad lib throughout the game and really have a knack for each other. If it wasn't enough to hear new commentary in the booth, both Nantz and Simms are digitally rendered for a little pregame discussion. It is a refreshing feeling to constantly hear things relevant to the game at hand. Finally! We are playing the game and for this release, EA went all out. By including RTP or Real Time Physics, EA has pretty much done away with any type of animations. No more predetermined tackles or catches, as every play feels like it is real. Not one tackle looks exactly the same, and the players really distribute their weight accordingly. For instance, your running back will actually fall down when he runs into the big uglies up front. Take the Physics and then add an all new passing game to Madden. What more could a football fan want? EA added 25 new pass trajectories, so you can lead your wide receiver or throw behind him. Madden has accomplished great strides with these few additions, and we have not got to the icing on the cake yet.

As always Madden still offers the Ultimate Team mode and the Community mode, but the truly amazing thing about this game is the Connected Careers.

Connected Careers

The mode of all modes. Connected Career allows you to stop being that arm chair QB that wishes they could be an NFL player, and actually allows you to be THAT guy that you always wanted to be. You might keep the gut, but you will have the gut in style. Connected Career combines several different modes from the last few years of Madden. Think Offline Franchise, Online Franchise, and Superstar Mode combined into one vast living breathing game. Add a hint of RPG and then you have the glorious Connected Career. I know a bit confusing right? Well let me break it down a little

Inside Connected Careers, the number one thing you have to decide is if you want to play Online or offline. Once you make that indication you go through a series of options. There are two MAIN choices to the mode. One is becoming a player and playing through multiple NFL seasons, and the other is becoming a coach and leading your team to the promise land. Whether you decide to be a player or a coach, you will need to pick between incorporating your gameface, creating a new player or coach, becoming an active player or coach, or essentially starting as a LEGENDARY player or coach.

In Player Mode you can pick to be any position you want. The freedom is endless and begins anywhere from a balanced QB to a Run Support safety. If you have heard of a specific type of player, then this game has it included. If you choose to create a player you can start out as a top rookie coming into the NFL, or an undrafted buried on the depth chart rookie. Each choice comes with a different set of circumstances and consequences. If you decide to be that top playmaking rookie, your goals will be harder to achieve. Whereas, being an undrafted rookie you have to earn your way to stardom. You might even ride the pine for a while during a season.

Like player mode, coach mode has the same options. You can become that motivational coach like Jimmy Johnson, or the strategic coach like Bill Walsh. Each direction you choose as a coach will ultimately decide on how you can build your team. Also your type of coach will reflect on how you do in the free agent market. The game gets even better from here.

Once you start up your career the first thing that happens is Cut day. This can become an excruciating by the 4th week of PRE-SEASON. Yes, that's right. Madden has an all inclusive pre-season inside the CC. During your preseason game, your players auto sub in after each quarter. This will allow you to see exactly who is going to fit on your team, or what role you may become to a team. Practice always makes perfect, and in the case of Madden 13 it will help you build your team to become better. There are obstacles to each practice that you must complete. Even though the game lacks an individual position drills mode, the team oriented practices are a nice touch.

With each completion of each task you earn XP. The XP that you receive throughout the duration of a season, can be used to build each individual player or you can use it to buy certain items to improve your coach or player skills. The type of coach you selected earlier plays a big factor in how much it cost to become better.

Throughout the season, there is all new scouting for the draft. As a coach, this enables you to keep an eye on the talent that is coming up for the next offseason. With the draft some players even have branching storylines, so you do not want to put all your eggs into one basket. The ability to offer extensions to players throughout the season is another little nugget that EA incorporated.

Now we all know the favorite part of any league, whether it is offline or online, is the offseason. Now there is an all new and improved Free Agent bidding. The bidding allows you to go up against other teams for the players in the free agent pool. Sometimes the free agent accepts the first week, sometimes it takes him a while to pick a team. A little side note, Ea Sports included franchise tags into the offseason as well, and that is only scratching the surface of what I consider one of the best games I have ever played.

Social Media is the new wave of the world, and what better way to stay connected to your game then through Twitter. Now you can share your game scores on your twitter or league facebook group. Not only can you share your game scores, but each advance your CC will have "fake" twitter stores. These stories tell you what is going on throughout the league. Say TO gets cut, a fake Chris Mortensen might report on it. A blockbuster trade going through? your CC Fake twitter will put up a tweet about it. All of these can even be shared on your own league twitter.

I am literally still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor after just nibbling into this game. If you love Sports and RPG games, the fun factor is perfect. I used to think Madden 2005 was the best Madden to date, but I think we have a new champion in that regard.

Overall, this game is going to be really hard to put down. The options are endless and EA really scored a touchdown with Madden 13. Even though there are a few minor items, the sky is the limit with this game, and it is potential to be remembered as the game that pushed Madden over the top. Thanks Tiburon for giving us something that will hopefully put 2k5 to rest. I really hope everyone enjoys the game as much as I do.

(y) 4.5/5.0

• Like Like x 12
  2. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Good review Bob. Pretty pissed that there is no draft class from NCAA though. If I get Madden I'll only be playing offline and I'd prefer not to play with fake rookies and their made up story lines. Would have been nice to still have that feature even if they couldn't get it all the way right last release.

3. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Yea. Unfortunately they took it out so they could have the branching storylines for the draft picks.