A little something I've noticed with recruits

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Bl0ndeRedHead, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

So I'm in Hard4Yards, where we all have terrible teams to start the dynasty. I'm San Jose State, and I've noticed about 75% of the recruits on my board (around 17, all :1stars: and :2stars: with the occasional :3stars:) all have "Proximity to Home" and "Early Playing Time" at Very High or Most as their interest. This keeps me well ahead of other schools and allows my recruiting to be much much easier. Was it like this last year as well? I didn't notice it this prevalently in NCAA 11.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Good, most recruits I'm sure hold that hight in importance.

3. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Yeah. Those recruits tended to favor those stats last year as well.

4. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

It's being in California lucky.

5. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

Ya I rarely see recruits with interest outside my "region". In H4Y my MTSU recruits are all in the south and in LV my Rice recruits are all TX/LA. It's rare/tough to pull someone out of the region. I haven't recruited with any team over 2 star prestige though...

6. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

Yea thats generally how it is IRL as most recruits care about proximity #1. PT is usually in the top 3 as well.

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I like that they have re-organized what recruits are interested in. Playing time, location of the school, and campus lifestyle seem to be very important now, whereas athletic facilities isn't so all-important anymore.

One thing I'm interested in, is which recruits are more likely to become interested if I offer them a scholarship and I'm not on their Top 10 to start with? As a 1-star (now 2-star) Tulane, this is very important.. So far, I haven't noticed any trends... It's random. If I throw 10 guys on my board that don't like me and offer them a scholarship, usually 1-2 have interest... I'd peg it at 15%.

8. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

The Proximity to Home interest in recruits this year is awesome. In my offline dynasty, in season 2 I actually lost the top recruit in the country to the UB Bulls. The recruit was from Rochester NY and I didn't have a pipeline in NY. Even though I lost out on an AMAZING WR, it was great to see that a 2 or 3 star program was able to land a 5star recruit. In the E, our Ole Miss user is going to land the #2 RB in the country with a 4star program.

Even though there are a ton of problems with this game, the recruiting is pretty great this year.

9. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I've witnessed the extreme of this. I've been trying to establish California as a pipeline to my Wolverines for 3 seasons. Last season, as a :4stars: Michigan (I got back up to :5stars: this season (y)) there was
    not
    one
    single
    solitary
    recruit from the great state of California that was interested in coming to Michigan.

10. Wick36

I wouldn't be interested in being a lawn weasel either.

11. jello1717

Just like my Grand Mammy always used to say.

"Better a lawn weasel than a hairless nut."

12. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Thats odd , I pulled two 5star HB from Cali with Michigan in season 1 in after midnight , not much after off top of my head though

13. jello1717

I finally got my pipeline setup in year 4 by signing a :4stars: and a :3stars: from CA. I've had some guys interested every year except for year 3 when there was no one at all.

14. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Wait, why are all of those things great? The top recruit in the country shouldn't be going to Buffalo...

15. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

No he shouldn't. it was just nice to see something close to what would happen IRL like Gunner Kiel going to Indiana over Bama and Notre Dame

16. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    That was other factors. Like his family being there. Plus Indiana is a nice school in a BCS conference. Buffalo is a shit-rate team in the MAC.

17. Wick36

How much time were you putting into the guy? I've seen guys go to shit schools a couple times when nobody goes after them, but even with the pipeline, how they hell did they out recruit you?

---

I think there was a 5 who went to Southern Miss, but that's the only non BCS school that I can think of for anyone off of the top of my head. I don't even remember anything about the guy.

18. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I think his father played QB for them and his brother is on the team. He is from Indiana too so I'm sure all those really factored into it. But with him being considered as the top QB recruit this year, it was odd to see someone of that caliber not go to a top tier team.

I was pumping 60 minutes into him a week. The recruit was from NY and I don't have a pipeline there. There have been times that I have noticed that I'll sit there and get 400+ points into a recruit, along with 100+ negative recruiting against and still lost a recruit when being -1 from being top on his list.

19. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Um, so maybe we can imagine that this was too?

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, except I think there is a different between Indiana and Buffalo. Gunner Kiel also isn't the top prospect in the country. So how possible would it be for a guy like Dorial Green-Beckham going to Arkansas State? Or perhaps Mario Edwards to North Texas?

My point is that they are too powerful. Location doesn't mean much for top recruits these days.

21. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I'm just messing around Drifter. It's obvious that each cpu team looks at its needs (and from a somewhat jilted perspective whereby sometimes a top prospect is ignored maybe because another good prospect has more itnerest? and that the cpu teams don't re-adjust quickly enough to grab recruits that aren't being targeted.

It's just weird. Makes it fun though, like in a side league where there's only 6 people and no recruiting rules... lol. Landing a stud player on a bad team is a huge boon.

22. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yeah I landed some studs on my BGSU team. Changed my team completely. Sort of lame from a sim perspective, but fun nonetheless.

I don't know if it's even a priority issues, but it just doesn't seem like the CPU teams are readjusting their boards based on the new recruits in the offseason (which is a dumb concept in itself, but alas).

23. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Not as probable as both coming to OU :cool:

Yeah, I've done ridiculous things with my Kent State team. In year 3, practically the entire secondary are :4stars:

It's a lot more fun when you can just get that one impact recruit in your first year. I got 4-5.

24. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

A lot of times I choose a bad team because I know I'll be facing bad teams and I like the idea of finding a good athlete that can play on both sides of the ball for me. But I always end up with impact players everywhere too quickly to find one.

25. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Similar thing happened to me and a friend. We've got an Online Dynasty, and we're at Oregon and Oregon State. We've both been pretty good with our teams, now that we're in 2019. In 2017, a great WR came out in offseason recruiting. My friend and I pressed for him, as did another 10 schools. No one was at full at the end, but Buffalo was about 5th on his list. After the final week, he signed with Buffalo. He's been a stud there ever since.