A Look Back: The 2020 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by I Peench, Mar 1, 2014.

1. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

[​IMG]

As we get ready to kick of the 2028 season, we take a look back at the 2020 draft - a draft that has produced many of the current league's stars.

1. Chicago Cubs – SP Bob “Breezy” Little

[​IMG]

Breezy came out an advanced arm from St. John’s, and looked poised for a long career in the big leagues. Though some questioned the pick off the bat, there was no denying that he could anchor a rotation if all went well. To some extent, it did go all well, at least for a while. Little’s success was fleeting, as he ascended to the big leagues in less than 2 years before posting a 10-2 record in 2023. Ultimately, Little’s career was undone by a few significant injuries that saw his ratings fall off the table. He’s currently in the bullpen of the Cubs’ AA affiliate, the Tennessee Smokers.

Grade: F. You have to hit on 1st overall picks, and this was a swing and a miss.

2. San Diego Padres – SP Carter “Grumpy” Hamilton

[​IMG]

Hamilton entered the draft the consensus top talent, and has lived up to the billing. The 2x All Star rose to prominence in 2022, winning the NL Rookie of the Year award. In his major league career, Hamilton has amassed 83 wins, while posting an impressive 2.97 ERA. Hamilton just signed a staggering 7/$120 contract extension with the Padres this offseason.

Grade: A. A bonafide ace, Hamilton has certainly justified this high of a pick.

3. Cleveland Indians – SP Guillermo “Bazooka” Madrid

[​IMG]

Another top tier arm off the board to the Indians, as Madrid looked like a great pick at the time. Early on, however, it was clear that projections on Madrid were off. Despite a fair amount of success at the A and AA level, “Bazooka” turned “Super Soaker” once he hit AAA ball. As a result, his ratings suffered, and he was shipped off to the Cubs shortly thereafter as a bullpen arm.

Grade: D. Gave Cleveland a few decent years before moving on.

4. Los Angeles Dodgers - 1B Guibert Cavallaro

Cavallaro, who played college ball under Mike Fox at North Carolina, tore through the Dodgers’ system to land on the active roster in 2021. Since then, the 2x All Star has had some incredible years, most notably when he won the NL MVP Award in 2025 for hitting .304/.400/.542 with 31 home runs and 94 runs batted in. In 2006, he signed a 5 year extension for $86 million, and remains in Tinsel Town.

Grade: A-. Snagging an MVP despite serious draft $ limitations is impressive.

5. Chicago White Sox – CF Alejandro “Mosquito” Páez

[​IMG]

Drafted out of Clairton High School just outside of Pittsburgh, Páez had arguably the highest ceiling of any player in this draft. 8 years later, and Páez has surpassed all expectations and has developed into arguably the greatest CF in the dugout. Páez broke into the league in 2024, was an All Star in 2025, and won two consecutive rings in ’25 and ’26. His career numbers of .296/.367/.511 certainly justify this pick, along with his 88 home runs.

Grade: A+. Getting arguably the best player in the draft at pick 5? Win.

6. Atlanta Braves – SP Tyson “Beetle” Bland

[​IMG]

Bland, another high end SP spec out of Michigan State, quickly graduated to the MLB level in 2022, before shipping off to Boston. Beetle was pretty bland in Beantown, and was passed off again to the Milwaukee Brewers, where he has really settled in and hit his stride and posted four consecutive double digit win seasons whilst emerging as their ace.

Grade: B. He turned out to be a pretty solid arm that Atlanta traded away a bit too early.

7. Los Angeles Dodgers - SP Miguel 'Racetrack' Bello

Bello came into the draft plagued by questions about his stamina. Indeed, he never emerged as an option in the rotation, and was thus relegated to bullpen duties for a majority of his professional career. His career record of 33-36 and ERA of 3.60 is certainly respectable, but it’s clear this pick was a bit of a flop. Bello remains with the Dodgers, and opens up spring training in their rotation.

Grade: C-. A bullpen arm, and nothing more.

8. Miami Marlins - SS Paul 'Prunes' Dyer

[​IMG]

This two time All Star ripped through minor league ball in two years, and emerged as Miami’s every day 3B by 2023. Since then, Dyer has been a rock on the hot corner, combining excellent defense with some pop and tremendous plate discipline. With a career OBS of .762 and a VORP of 137, the Marlins decided to offer Dyer a 7/$121 million deal this offseason, which he gladly accepted.

Grade: B+. Dyer has been a steady contributor to the big league ball club, and looks to have several good years left in him.

9. Oakland Athletics - P Júlio 'Peppers' Ortega

Despite having nasty stuff, Ortega could never add a third pitch to his repertoire, nor could he curtail his control problems. As such, he was relegated to the bullpen, and hasn’t emerged from it since. To this day, he’s still with Oakland, and will be relied upon heavily this season in middle relief.

Grade: C. Much like Bello, a bullpen arm - albeit a good one.

10. Colorado Rockies - SS Don 'Skoonj' McMillan

[​IMG]

Signed as a SS out of Auburn, McMillan also got the big league call in a very short time frame (2021). In just his first full year with the club, he got his first of three all-star game invitations. Still holding down the hot corner in Coors, McMillan has a career .285/.326/.510 with 194 home runs, and is in the 2nd year of a 5 year deal worth $65 million.

Grade: B+. Though his numbers have been inflated by Coors to a degree, there's no denying his 3 All Star game appearances.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Notable Picks

1(28): New York Yankees - 2B Richard Moore
    Moore has developed into arguably the best player in the league.

2(9): New York Mets - C José Garcia
    Last season's National League MVP.

4(2): San Diego Padres - 1B José Costa
    Costa is one of the most feared hitters in all of The Dugout.

5(1): Chicago Cubs - CF José Ávila
    Looks to be a perennial All Star with ++ power and defense.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 11
  2. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Great stuff I Peench. Bland tore his labrum in his first big league season and that urged me to trade him. He ended up having a few rough years in Boston than really hit his stride in Milwaukee.

3. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

The reason I had to go with Cavallaro and Bello was due to financial restrictions from my owner, and I wanted to get PAgamer07 off my back. Both have done great for me and the should for at least a few more years.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Nice work I Peench

Although I think Cavallaro deserves a higher grade.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

What he said Steve! :D

6. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    I would agree with this. He may play 1B but you cant argue with an MVP.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I Peench

...But you can most certainly argue with a Cowboys fan

8. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Oh, well if thats your motive, then troll on big man.

9. I Peench

Uh...

Anyways, just playing around. I don't think the relative value of him here at 4 is that good. That's all.

10. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Dont change the subject, lets continue to troll Cowboy fans!

On a side note, there were quite a few of us that didnt like the pick when Saw first made it. Like he said though, he was cash strapped at the time, especially with two firsts. The fact that he turned one of them into a MVP winner escalates that pick, imo atleast.

The only thing that kept me from drafting Paez over Hamilton was the $10M price tag.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  11. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Yeah pretty much what NT said. Not many people liked the pick at the time, but he HAD to sign those picks because of not doing it the previous year. I'd argue he hit the lottery with this pick and this turned into the 3rd best pick in the draft behind Paez and Hamilton.

• Like Like x 2
  12. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

S my D Bazooka. That is all.

• Like Like x 4
  13. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Great read thanks for the hard work peench

14. I Peench

Yeah, I had no clue there were financial elements in play. I'll give it an A-...because Cowboys.

sawemoff

• Like Like x 1
  15. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

[​IMG]

16. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Little had ace written all over him before he had Tommy Johns.=( At least I hit later in the draft LOL.

17. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    He did pretty damn well for me in the pen last year. Lol

18. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    You're welcome.:)

• Like Like x 1
  19. I Peench

You summed up why I love this game in two sentences.

20. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Hmm, career debilitating surgery's are the main reason I hate this game.

21. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    I thought I was the main reason you hate this game.

22. I Peench

Masochism has a funny way of manifesting itself.

23. Confucius Rex

Confucius Rex Walk On

Ortega never fully worked out unfortunately. He's alright. Not 'first-round' alright though.

24. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

HAL9100 needs to analyze that shit.

Cole would be the tops of worst luck and me in distant second in my opinion. Braun dying definitely slowed my progress

25. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

JFace907 would be right there with you guys