A Look Inside the 12th Man: Contender or Pretender???

Discussion in '12th Man Football' started by thafuture3886, Feb 26, 2013.

1. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

With us being at the halfway point, we have a few surprises in teams that are doing better than some may have expected and we also have teams doing worse than expected. In this edition of "A Look Inside the 12th Man" we will focus on a few teams that stand out and pose the question, are they a contender or pretender??? I'm gonna need some participation from you guys as i will only select the 6 teams and allow for everyone to chime in as to whether they are a contender or a pretender....

[​IMG]
    The Browns currently hold a 2 game lead over the AFC North thanks to going 3-1 in the division so far. Some may question the strength of the Browns wins as they haven't beaten anybody who currently has a winning record but you can only play who's on the schedule. We should learn more about this Browns team in the second half of the season with games against the Colts, Texans, Raiders and Titans.

[​IMG]
    The Texans are 5-2 with both losses coming to the Titans and Colts, both of whom are above them in the division standings. Like the Browns, the Texans have beaten up on those with lesser records. The Texans have arguably the toughest road ahead with road games against the Colts, Giants, Browns, Titans and Jets and home games against the Chiefs, Redskins, and Eagles. One thing is for sure, the Texans can prove who they are in the next couple weeks.

[​IMG]
    The Raiders are currently 4-3 and tied with the Chiefs atop the AFC West. The Raiders have one of the most explosive offenses in the league led by Drew Brees and always seem to be in the game. The Raiders second half of the season isn't as hard as the Texans but still features many big games, highlighted by a rematch with the Chiefs and 2 games against the Broncos and new coach, NeuroticTruth.

[​IMG]
    The youth movement finally appears ready to grow up and step into the limelight. The Dolphins are loaded with young talent and boast impressive wins on the road against the Titans and Bears. One has to question, with all the young players on this roster who have yet to experience or accomplish anything in the NFL are they ready for the big time? The Dolphins have a tough second half including 2 games against the Jets and games against the Pats, Chiefs, Raiders and Ravens.

[​IMG]
    One of the surprises on the season, the Giants stand at 5-2 and 2nd in the NFC East. However, with their 5 wins coming against teams with a combined win total of 7, the jury is still out on this team. The Giants said they were all in this season but 2 losses to their stiffest competition has to raise a concern going forward. The next 5 weeks for the Giants are downright brutal as they face the Eagles, Texans, 49ers, Cardinals and Panthers so let's see what this team is made of.

[​IMG]
    The 49ers are 4-2 and currently tied atop the NFC West with the Cardinals. While they are 4-2, the 49ers boast the lowest point differential(+4) of any team with a winning record. The 49ers do have an impressive win against the Raiders but that is offset by a loss to a struggling Rams team. The 49ers have a tough 2nd half with 2 games against heated rival Cardinals, Giants and Chiefs.

[​IMG]
    Tied atop the NFC West with the 49ers at 4-2 the Cardinals should feel good about themselves right? WRONG! This team has been inconsistent all season, culminating in a 24 point blowout against the Bears after a 27 point win against the Cowboys the previous week. With 6 division games coming up in the 2nd half of the season as well as games against the Eagles, Giants and Panthers it's time to put up or shut up for the Cards.

SO I ASK, WHICH OF THESE TEAMS ARE A CONTENDER AND WHICH ARE A PRETENDER????

• Like Like x 6
  2. thafuture3886

CHUNKNESS could you please tag the league??

3. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

4. CHUNKNESS

in this league, EVERYONE is a CONTENDER. :cool:

I love seeing the tie-breakers at the end of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thafuture3886

Stop the politics lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. CHUNKNESS

<------- pretender

• Like Like x 2
  7. redlishus

redlishus PMFL Staff - El Guesser

^^^^^ masturbator

• Like Like x 1
  8. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

<--- Pretend Masturbator

:D

----------------

Good stuff Curtis, surprised there haven't been many responses. Doug hit it right on the head though, any given Sunday for sure in the 12th Man.

The only team I have played this season so far is the Browns. I will say they can definitely be a contender if Vick performs, but if he has many games like he did against the Panthers, they will be left on the outside looking in as pretenders.

With games against the Giants and Cardinals still on my schedule, all I can say is that I hope they don't expose the Panthers as a pretender. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Miki1369

Miki1369 Walk On

Hopefully Contenders... i have not been to the playoffs yet so lets hope this is the year...

(y)

• Like Like x 2
  10. ferocious

ferocious Bring it

I think they are all contenders and mastubators lol:cool: , but seeing the schedules each of these teams face ahead. I beleive the Browns and 49rs will end up being pretenders. Im just glad I didnt make this list as its always a jinx whenever I get mentioned lol....:D

• Like Like x 3
  11. CHUNKNESS

I must admit, I still live in my old glory days...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. thafuture3886

well i guess that attempt to rev up some league interaction failed. Thanks to the guys that responded

13. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

Great stuff, but lol now I know Ill get the old SI or Madden cover curse for being mentioned :D

• Like Like x 2
  14. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Good stuff man. NFC guys are contenders. AFC guys are pretenders! Boys rule, girls drool! No homo! Lol. Haven't really played any of the AFC guys so I don't know about them. Cleveland could be a contender but seems to always struggle getting the division crown from Baltimore. Same thing with the Raiders with the Chiefs and Broncos. Until those teams win a division crown, pretenders.

As far as the thread failing I would wait until the day is over for that. I can only speak for myself, but during work hours I check this forum pretty frequently. Once I'm off being on the computer is the last thing I want to do, so I rarely check the forum. This was likely posted after 5 pm, so I'm jsut now seeing it. Probably not the only one who feels like that, just my .02

• Like Like x 3
  15. thafuture3886

(y)(y)

16. thafuture3886

That comment was more or less an attempt to drive more traffic to the post to see who actually reads it

• Like Like x 2
  17. CHUNKNESS

sliders

• Like Like x 3
  18. Warhawk AKA dreadman

Warhawk AKA dreadman Walk On

Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....49ers was hoping to be contenders....got some tough ppl on the schedule coming up....hope I can get me another ps3 soon to see where this season goes for us........

some tough teams on this list though!!!

• Like Like x 4
  19. redlishus

I'm going to set up a test community sliders group and invite only those that I feel agree with how I want the sliders to be.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

Great Post!

Browns- Undecided...they can be inconsistent at times, and stellar at others. It is tough to tell how the Browns will play in the second part of the season, their schedule gets brutal. They do have a nice head start on the division, so that helps.

Texans- Contender- Their only losses came to formidable opponents in Indy and Tennessee...unfortunately those are both division rivals. I think the Texans have a shot at getting a playoff spot.

Raiders- Pretender- I predict Javy swoops in and takes the division. Jamal Charles to the rescue. After the chiefs win the division there will not be another representative from that division making the playoffs this year.

Dolphins- Contender- The Dolphins are quick and young and only getting better. I think the Dolphins will be seriously involved with the playoff hunt in the last three weeks of the season.

Giants- Pretender- Lets see if the Giants can maintain and be consistent. My early guess is no, but that can change easily as NYG has some stud players including a 99 speed HB.

49ers- Contender- blah blah blah Patrick Willis

Cardinals- Undecided- Can Jason Merian lead the team to the playoffs? I think he can...but that's just it...I "think". We shall see

• Like Like x 5
  21. redlishus

I think out of everyone it will be the Giants surprising people. He's got a lot of talent. Only question is, can he guide them far enough?

• Like Like x 5
  22. hoodiii

hoodiii Walk On

Great article but I have no opinions on the article. Not trying to put a bullseye on myself or create some bulletin board material

• Like Like x 2
  23. CHUNKNESS

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  24. ferocious

ferocious Bring it

Had a 99 Speed HB, well atleast he wont for the next 8 weeks. The Bears defense decided to taking him outback in the locker room during half time and do a Soprano scene on him with a hammer....:mad: Broken hand!!!! Main reason why we won!!!:D Highlights coming in a couple of hours...;)

• Like Like x 3
  25. thafuture3886

ouch, but at least he'll be gone when we face him (y)

• Like Like x 1