A&M to the SEC

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by bdub, Aug 31, 2011.

1. bdub

bdub Walk On

So now that it looks like Texas A&M is off to the SEC, will the Big 12 survive? If so who do you guys think they will invite?

2. jca312

jca312 Walk On

I don't think the Big XII will be able to survive long term. I think Texas ends up Independent after all is said and done, no need for them to split their piece of the pie anymore now that they have their own network. It'll be interesting to see what Oklahoma's next move is. Seems like we are headed for megaconferences.

3. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I heard a really good example of why they shouldn't go independent. ....who's gonna play em? Sure Oklahoma may. But other big time schools are gna shy away. If they don't have to play them, they prolly won't. That means they will be playing a watered down schedule with the likes of smu rice and Houston as their opponents.

It's happened to Norte dame, they are hyped every year. They never come through though.

4. DC

DC Shake n Bake

And Arkansas will never go to the big 12. It comes up every time a&m talks sec

5. bdub

bdub Walk On

I don't think the Big XII can survive long term either. At some point Oklahoma is going to get tired of Texas and how they expect money from the other teams in the conference but don't want to give any of the massive amount of money they will make from the Longhorn Network. If Texas truly does not want to go independent then they cannot continue on the course they are on now as I don't think Oklahoma will take it forever. They have a lot of leverage and at some point they are going to use it. If the whole conference does fall apart I hope the PAC 12 can jump in and at least pick up Oklahoma.

I agree, they will have to pay teams a huge amount of money to play them. Especially in the later part of the season when everyone is playing conference games.

Love what Herbstriet had to say about Notre Dame the other day.

Yeah never understood that talk. Arkansas has zero reasons to move to the Big 12.

6. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Good point. It'll be interesting. They better figure something out though, because that watered down schedule is what the Big XII is close to becoming. It's basically a 4-team conference right now, but that's only if Mizzou and Okie State can stay relevant. I saw ESPN was linking Pittsburgh, Louisville, and BYU to the Big XII. Let the crazy rumors begin...

7. bdub

bdub Walk On

Article in the local Salt Lake City newspaper says the Big XII flew out to Provo yesterday to talk to BYU. I really hope they don't get invited though, I would hate to see them ruin the Big XII.

8. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Only a matter of time til OU bounces. That'll be the final nail in the Big XII coffin.

9. jca312

jca312 Walk On

From ESPN:

Oklahoma's conference wishes

10:23AM ET

Oklahoma Sooners

[​IMG]
    It's fun to discuss where teams might go when the dust settles, and the college football landscape is forever changed. Oklahoma is next on the docket, and the Sooners appear ready and willing to make a move to the Pac-12.
    "Should Oklahoma act upon its earnest desires and seek an invitation to join the Pacific-12 Conference -- something I'm fully expecting to happen within days, if not hours -- that decision could well be the killing blow to the Big 12 while also providing Texas the political cover to follow suit and ask for admission as well," Kirk Bohls of the Austin American Statesman wrote.
    The Pac-12 may quickly become the country's first super-conference by killing two birds with one stone. Oklahoma just has to act on its reported interest. Texas is eagerly waiting.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Interesting. This will kick off an interesting set of events. All I really want from it is the inevitable "Notre Dame to the Big Ten" scenario that all know is sure to happen at some point. After that, we could take pretty much anyone left and make a great 16 (if 16 is the number they're looking at) but I bet Mizzou would probably make 14 - after that, there's no telling.

11. bdub

bdub Walk On

Texas will have to give up the longhorn network to come to the PAC 12 so I doubt they ever join.

12. jca312

jca312 Walk On

I bet something could be negotiated. Didn't the Big XII have a deal with Fox Sports? Too much money involved for everyone to let Texas joining the Pac 12 fall apart over that.

13. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Okie State and Texas Tech would make it the Pac-16.
    Ball is in your court Sooners :)

Also, Va Tech Spokesperson called talk of them joining the SEC "poppycock"

Didn't realize people were still using that these days, lol.

14. bdub

bdub Walk On

I agree but that was sited as a reason they didn't come to the Pac 12 last year. That and the pac 12 teams all share revenue equally and texas wants none of that.