A personal rant

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Okay, first off, let me say that this is nothing against Badabing. He just brought to light something that bugs me royally about this year's Madden.

Zone routes and the middle of the field.

It seems like everybody (myself included in this) uses WAY too many drag/post routes to exploit the middle of the field because of shitty AI safety/LB play in zone coverage, even at AM difficulty. No matter what you do, unless you user a MLB or safety, and are GOOD at doing it, you won't have success against the middle of the field and holding back teams who run a short pass play scheme.

Bada thrashed me in the second half running mostly middle of the field stuff. Things like posts/slants/drags. Now, again, I'm not accusing him of cheese. He called different plays and mixed it up well. My complaint is that in Madden 10 I stopped it. In Madden 11 I'm not. I audibled zone coverages to watch the middle of the field, I spotlighted his TE/slot receiver, I did everything that worked in Madden 10 to stop the middle of the field. And NOTHING worked.

I've noticed that with a lot of teams I've played. It seems like there is no way to stop middle coverage unless you play the MLB or a safety and are above average at doing it. I am not. Never have been, never will be.

I don't have the answer to fix it, except for getting better at MLB/safety play. My plan this year does not involve that. So apparently I'm gonna be a colossal failure at defense this year because people will rip my interior to shreds.

Oh well. Not like I'm expected to do anything here anyway except lose and give good ideas.

/rant off

As you were.

2. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Yeah i have noticed this as well and have same issues. I have been doing man coverage and have lb and safety in a zone in middle it dont work the greatest but does get stops and picks. But i am in same boat i get destroyed all day on defense in pmfl

3. Miklos_Nyiszli

Miklos_Nyiszli Walk On

Yeah i totally agree with this i hate it and notice the same thing. i wont lie and say i dont do it and Jeremy pointed out to me so i have learned to go away from it and do different things but on the defense of side i do not know how to stop it. i am in Winu boat as in i cant handle any MLB or SS i play mostly Dline and LB on the line. i play a beast on the line i think but still doesnt stop the middle of the field.

4. CoachWest

CoachWest Walk On

I agree they went backwards this year... I feel like I am playing MAdden 05 all over again on Defense...

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

It really doesn't help my personal level of confidence when the one side of the ball I feel I am GOOD at (defense) I suck at now, and I haven't gotten much better on my weak side of the ball (offense).

I think I could have 99s starting at every position on my team and still not be successful right now.

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

To Bada's credit, he got to hear this rant full strength after our game. He took it in stride and was a real sportsman about it while I was being a whiney bitch. Nothing but good things to say about Bada's handling of my bitchfest.

This version is a watered-down rant.

7. CoachWest

CoachWest Walk On

Does this mean I should expect the same thing next week... :)

8. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

I'm sorry but what other routes do you want ppl to run? a come back route and an out route is ALMOST useless with us playing AM. Guys don't like these routes, and i get it, but you just took away 90% of routes. crossing routes are also hard to stop and a jump ball fly route is insane. just a sucky madden i guess :mad:

9. CoachWest

CoachWest Walk On

What he said lol

10. BadaBing319

BadaBing319 OMFL Broncos / PMFL Eagles

Win, appreciate your rant and also appreciate that you pointed out I did mix things up. I literally had to throw almost every play with such a large deficit and while I hit a bunch of go, flat and corner routes, I did have a ton of success in the middle of the field as well.

Not to give away anything, but I play a ton of man-to-man, simply because zone is somewhat ineffective. Additionally, I've been forced into playing a lot of Cover 1 Man or Cover 1 Robber to stop the middle of the field. Cover 1 Man has one safety deep with the other safety manned up on a slot, TE or RB. One of my middle linebackers ends up in a short zone and helps cover those slant/crossing routes. Robber helps too as one safety comes up and plays a short zone with the other safety staying deep. Now, obviously I can get beat deep with these defenses, but a lot of guys don't go deep much. It costs me with a big play every once in a while, but I'll take the trade-off.

11. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

This is what Madden 11 has become and we are gonna have to adjust & adapt until Madden 12 I guess.

I got the realzation of this in my first game as Lions coach vs Eagles in Week One of Year 4. Marques Colston went for 12 catches & 200+ yards out of the slot running deep crosses. It has taken me about 17 more leagues games to come to the realization that if I cant beat em, Im gonna join em.

Im gonna mix it up but if I want to get back to my winning ways, Im gonna have to do what works.

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander,heh?

12. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Nate, I don't have an answer. Honestly, there is nothing that can be done. I'm just ranting about it- hence the post title. :)

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Well, honestly my beef was not with you or your playcalling, Bada. You changed up your calls and formations and ran a good offensive and defensive game. My problem was with the fact that what I was calling on defense should have worked IF the AI was at least mildly intelligent. A cover 2 look should kill any and all middle of the field play and open up the corner routes. A cover 3 should eat up corner routes and post routes and keep everything in the middle of the field, especially if I call zone audibles to watch the middle. Neither coverage did ANYTHING. And I usually play about 30-40% zone to keep it mixed up. I don't personally call all man "just because it works". I don't think that is right, but I do think a lot of teams do that.

At the same time, I am not bashing anyone for doing that. I am not gonna do it, however, because I don't feel it's sim to call certain coverages "because the AI sucks at some coverages". I will do my best to mix it up and confuse folks, but I will still call zone coverage about 30-40% of the time even if it is broken/ineffective. My team talent dictates my playcalling. The fact that the AI is horrendous hurts me, yes, but I feel that my strategy is sound, even if it is a "holey" defense to call any zone coverage.

This is me on my personal view on the matter: I call what I think the team would call based on personnel that I have available and what the offense is throwing as far as WR/HB/TE on the field. If it works, great. If it doesn't work, damn. If it doesn't work because of faulty programming, then DOUBLE DAMN. If calling plays in this fashion will mean I will lose every game because I'm striving to be as simlike as possible and ignore AI exploits/weaknesses, then so be it. I'll just be angry after every game, more than likely. :)

14. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I'm not going to that level. Then again, I also sucked at Madden 10. So to keep tradition going, I'll just suck at Madden 11 also.

15. BadaBing319

BadaBing319 OMFL Broncos / PMFL Eagles

I agree. Don't get me wrong - I play 25-35% zone as well. I don't think it's sim to play 99% one coverage all the time, plus if your opponent knows what you are going to play, it's easier to beat. However, I built my team to play a lot of man - I have high man coverage ratings for my corners with good zone coverage ratings with my safeties to help out over the top. If I think I match up well with a personnel set in M2M, I'll probably lean towards making them beat me in man more often than not.

16. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Bada, I think my rant boils down to my personal suckage at all things football video game related. I get tired of getting beat in all ways possible in this game. I can't win throwing the ball. I can't win running the ball. I can't win playing defense.

17. CoachWest

CoachWest Walk On

Dude just needs a hug :)

18. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

No. Dude just needs a coach. Let me GM this bad boy and just run it from upstairs in the press box. Let someone else call and make plays. :)