A Player Retires

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

A Player Retires

Hello everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that cnic75 has decided to retire from the three teams he has been coaching.

It's a big loss for us. nic is a good guy and I wish him the best.

I will be online later tonight and available to chat, should anyone want to discuss the details.

Also, we now have an opening in all three leagues. Now that we have our new home, several people to post content, and a user-friendly way to post that content, I have been considering re-entering other leagues, mostly to get access to information I can use to post. If we have guys who want spots in the deuce and the OFFSL, take them first. If not, you may add me as Tennessee and BYU, if these squads are available and if they fit into the balance.

Again, we wish nic the best, and hope to see him again sometime in the future.

AG

2. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Let me preface this by saying that this discussion has nothing to do with it being AG that I am discussing. I have nothing but love for what he has done with this league that he allowed me to join way back when. That being said, I am also not going to not say anything just because it is the commish's team that I take issue with. I would be bringing this up if it was anyone's team, including mine.

Before the scheduling took place for this season I brought up several ideas for making the schedule's tougher for the defending champ and probably for the other team that played in the championship game. I suggested those 2 teams play each other the following season, maybe add a 4th user game to one or both of their schedules (probably most easily accomplished by them simply playing each other), or to simply ensure that their user games were against some of the other top rated user teams. No one seemed to think any of those were good ideas and so now we basically already have one of the championship teams set with Ohio State, his 3rd trip to the title game in 3 seasons, and we are only 3 weeks into the season. Sure Michigan State or Wisconsin (if they both play OSU this year) could upset OSU but based on the first 2 seasons and the talent disparity between the teams, it doesn't seem likely. OSU is clearly the class of the Big 10, head and shoulders above the rest of the league in terms of talent and especially speed, and have been since season 1. With CNIC and Penn State bowing out, and no conference championship user game to worry about, OSU appears to be heading to a 3rd straight title game, barring a big upset. I felt like kind of a chump for taking #1 ranked Georgia and making it to the title game in year 1 based on my preseason ranking and me beating a less talented Auburn (Reagle) but it was what it was. I would not want that scenario to replay itself every year in my favor and wouldn't expect you guys to like it either but it seems that is kind of what we have going on right now.
    Unless something changes in the way the schedule is done, with the top recruiting classes OSU has gotten, plus the continued dominance of talent over the other Big 10 teams, I would say OSU is a better than 50/50 bet to make the title game most years. Even if I get better at this game, and recruit good players, the chances of me losing during the regular season are greater based on the talent level on the user controlled teams that are on my schedule in the SEC. Shouldn't we level this out by making that non-conf game against one of the top rated teams or recreating the difficulty in repeating in real football by adding an additional user game or something? I know I lost to a less talented Nebraska team and Miami gave OSU a very good game but I am just talking the averages and how they will play out over time when a 95 rated team consistently plays teams that are less talented.
    Is this what we want or do we want a little more parody, or at least the chance at more parody? Food for thought.

3. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Dude, j-blitz, I understand what you are saying, but I lost to AG by TWO POINTS AT THE HORSESHOE. He is beatable, as Dat was able to beat him in the championship. This is hopefully not going to come off as me being an AG homer, but the guy is good. He has built a MONSTER team, he plays smart, and has good schemes to beat you. NEWSFLASH -- the REAL Ohio State is the same way, love them or hate them. I really don't understand where your gripe is -- is it AG's fault that cnic retired, cutting out one of his user games?? If an SEC user went undefeated and won their conference championship, they would make the title game. The same goes for a Big XII user. Unfortunately, not as much weight is placed on the ACC, as was shown by AMP going 14-0 a couple seasons ago.

You wanna make it back to the title game? Work on your game and go undefeated.

AND IT IS PARITY NOT PARODY. Why should you try to create parity when, to this point, only Dat and AMP are on AG's level? PARITY CREATES ITSELF. You can have "false-parity" if you want, but then I would have to call you a fucking democrat.

4. Juggernautblitz

Whatever you do, don't call me a Democrat and thanks for the correction on parity.
    I am not bitching because AG is better than me, I played him and was up in the early 4th quarter and then he pulled away for a 2 TD win. It was a good game. I have not played anyone yet that I would consider to be much better than me except for possibly Law Dog.
    Let's not kid ourselves here Basis, it is simple fact that certain routes to the title game will be easier than others every season, based on the talent level of the user controlled teams that everyone has to play. To say anything else would be asinine. My suggestion is that from now on maybe we avoid having that easier road be for the defending champ (whoever it may be) or a back to back title game contestant. We have the ability to do that with the manually created schedule and I put up some ideas.
    You seem to take offense that I discount your game with AG when in fact I have addressed that multiple times by saying I am talking about the ratings of the team, not the ability of the user controlling them.
    No need for anyone to get offended here, just something that I see that in my opinion could be tightened up. I think getting back to the title game the next year or especially winning back to back titles should be extremely tough and a big accomplishment, that takes fighting thru a tough schedule.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

One thing I can say about this is that were it not for the retirement, nic was very likely to hand me a loss. As far as stick skills go, he's really tough. Basis almost did hand me a loss. Again, far superior stick skills to mine, and he asked for the game. I needed a last second kick to pull it out. I scheduled a fourth user game by letting raz switch to Wisconsin. Of the guys in this league, I've lost to two. And Superman (who just came in as Oklahoma) and I played one for the ages in League two last year. I played USC (a 96, and then a 99) in each of the past two seasons. When this league started, I selected a roster that devalued my team by eight points (from 99 down to 91). I played as a five-point dog in the first championship game, and then got beat by a five point dog in the second one. I let nic make the switch to the big 10 knowing he would be a monster. I'm not exactly tipping the scales here.

Anyway, my point is that while I understand that circumstance has played a factor in my success to this point, we all make our own luck around these parts. If I schedule someone unfairly, feel free to let me know how you feel. But I don't think parity should be constructed through the schedule. Fairness should. What we're discussing here feels like entitlement, like we are somehow supposed to make sure everyone plays for a title. While I try to create a situation in which many guys have semi-equal chances to succeed, I am not really concerned with who has and has not played in a championship game, or how many times this guy or that guy did much of anything. I'm not out to create new championship matchups each year by scheduling for this guy and against that guy. I try to balance schedules, and then we decide it on the field.

You got a walk in year one, playing the same team (who you overmatched by seven points) twice, and not having to play another member. I don't consider this a bad thing, just the way it shook out. Things have gone for and against me as well, but I don't feel I have manufactured any of my success. And believe me, right now, I am not the big dog around these parts. Not by a longshot.

AG

6. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Fact of the matter is that in NCAA '10 we are moving to a more user-game based structure with the divisonal system. I don't disagree with you, but the Big 10 and Pac-10 teams ALWAYS have an easier route to the national championship due to there being no conference championship game.

I got a little fired up on the last post, sorry about that.

Democrat :D

7. Juggernautblitz

Just think about it. In real college football, if a team were to be told that they had to defeat Miami, Michigan State and Wisconsin to make it to the title game, as opposed to LSU, Alabama, Nebraska and either Alabama or LSU again, which one would they choose? 99 out of 100 times or 100 out of 100 times? That is just my schedule and I am sure there are a couple others with tougher schedules than that. I am not complaining because I think I am getting screwed because I screwed myself by not being that good at this game and getting beat by the CPU, I just think it would level the field a bit going forward.

8. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Think about what you just said blitz. Ohio State gets TOLD they have to beat Michigan State and Wisconsin (just about) every year. Georgia gets TOLD they have to beat whoever is on their SEC schedule, too.

Should KO and I play to see which OOC user is better? My point by saying that is that this discussion is starting to make less and less sense, because you are taking conference schedule into account, which is determined by the CONFERENCE and not by the team.

9. Juggernautblitz

Trust me, I am the last person in the U.S. that wants entitlements, come to think of it, I MAY BE the last person in the U.S. that wants entitlements. I don't think everyone deserves to play for the title every year or even every few years. How bout this? Is there a system we can come up with for team ratings or something that would keep everyone playing similar schedules? Say if Wisconsin is an 85, Michigan State 85, that is 170 total. Say then that Alabama is 90, LSU 90, which equals 180. Leaving out the conf. chmp. game that the SEC, ACC and Big 12 teams play, I would think the Big 10 team would want to schedule a highly rated team for their non con to "even things out".
    I fully admit that I was given a leg up on everyone by taking the #1 rated Bulldogs in season 1, and because of it had a higher rated team than my opponents and didn't need to worry about anyone passing me for the title game because of my preseason rank. That was what it was but I wouldn't want that to happen every year.
    I am not hinting that there has been any impropriety by AG on the schedule or anything, I would just like to ensure that for future schedules, we make sure the top guys from the year before have a pretty tough road. If I ever win a title, I would expect nothing less the next year (to mimic the real life difficulty of repeating), and would want a repeat championship to be a huge deal.
    And yes I do need to get better Basis, thanks for pointing out the obvious.

10. Juggernautblitz

But this isn't 'real' college football where teams are locked into schedules for years in advance. We can adjust on the fly based on how the previous season went and make sure the non conf game or games make up for any difficiencies (team rating) in that teams schedule. That doesn't make sense?

11. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I wasn't attacking you by saying that you need to get better, and I bring that same criticism on myself. Hopefully you didn't take that personally.

Also, I don't think this is a terrible discussion, but you are discounting the skill that some users have vs. others. Someone who is really great at the game can use an 85 overall skill team and beat someone that is good, but not great, that has a 95 overall team. In user games there is a TON of luck involved with turnovers (mainly fumbles being luck, not as much picks).

12. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Its a sim league, no? In real life, there is no debating that Ohio State's road to the championship (OR USC for that matter) is easier than Oklahoma or LSU.

I wouldn't mind voting on this issue. I definitely see your argument, I think it is just a matter of what direction the league is going in.

I am done with this topic before others (commish, etc.) can weigh in.

13. Juggernautblitz

I certainly did not take offense to your comment about getting better. I hate to lose, absolutely hate it, probably more than I enjoy winning, but I do know my limitations and right now I am limited in my abilities in this game so I can agree with anyone that I need to get better. With more practice I will hopefully give you guys a challenge in coming seasons.
    As far as the difference in skill levels between users, there really is no way to gauge that yet, so I think the best we can do is try to match up the schedules based on team ratings. I'm sure as more seasons go by there will be some guys that are clearly better with the sticks, etc., but right now it is difficult to tell.
    And about this being a sim league. Yes it is a sim league but not to the point that I hold post game press conferences in my living room and not to the point that we can't tweak little things here and there to make up for some of the inefficiencies of the real game and their jacked up system. One of the biggest arguments every year in real college football is did so and so (OSU, Utah, Boise St., USC in years past) play a tough enough schedule to deserve a shot at the title or to play in a BCS bowl, etc., and we have the ability to diminish that argument with manually scheduling non conference games at the beginning of every season.
    I really don't know the best way to do it but I think I have come up with several ideas that could be voted on or discussed. Teams from title game the previous year play each other the following year? Teams from the title game the previous year, or at least the champ, play an extra user game? A rating system to even things out a bit? Do nothing at all as everything is just fine?

14. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

To this point I have not divulged my actual opinion. Here it is: I think it would be cool to see a rematch of the national championship, if it is user-user, every season following. It should be a home game for the team that won, since they won and deserve a little edge. That is just my opinion.

Whether that falls in line with the rest of the league or not, or whether that is sim or not could be decided by a vote, but ultimately the commish has veto power. Really I am fine either way, but I definitely think it would be cool to see a rematch every year.

15. ko deadeye

ko deadeye Walk On

Here is a suggestion, What if the two teams that played in the Championship game played the next season so at least one would not make it to the Big Dance again.

Are you calling me out Basis? YOUR GOING DOWN! Now if you don't mind could you give me a scouting report on Daddy Amp? :D

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think, when we reduce to three conferences per league, everyone will have to run the gauntlet, and we won't have to discuss it so much.

I kind of like the new system we have in place. Adjusted recruiting, sliders, game rules, conference breakdowns. Makes me wish we could do the whole thing over again from the start, see who would succeed in the new system.

AG

17. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

It certainly will be a more interesting challenge with recruiting rules in, I think. I honestly can't see how things will degrade with the ideas now in place. Really looking forward to it.

18. PK55

PK55 Rabid Football Fan

This is the best post you've made for your arguement in the entire thread. I hear what you're saying. In real life EVERYONE argues about strength of schedule in and out of conference. I like the idea of Championship teams playing each other but I see it the other way around.

The loser should get a rematch at thier house. lol...kind of like how the NFL does the rematch of Super Bowl teams...lol...You want to talk about having to EARN a back to back or a threepeat...pull that one off AG!!!

And oh yeah, AG is right about his lower rated Buckeyes playing higher rated teams...I had AG on the ropes and then let off the gas and then he made some awesome plays. One of the best user games I've ever played and it was nailbiting loss. Grrrr...I still want another shot at you bro!

Peace,
    PK

19. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Keepin' it 1hunnah.

Featured Threads:
    I have an SEC schedule also.

That being said, I would much rather play my schedule than AG's this year.

I have Georgia/Texas on my schedule that I can remember.

Will I likely get beat by the CPU, yes LOL. That is the joy of these dynasties. Who would have said that Georgia would get by the CPU early in the year?