A Special Teamer and A Dreamer

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by GrimReeferXXIV, Jan 22, 2013.

1. GrimReeferXXIV

GrimReeferXXIV Walk On

Just wanted to get some advice from my fellow football nerds. I am switching from DE to LB this year. Last year around this time at the combine I was only 180 lb's but since I was overweight in highschool I played RG,RT, and DT. So somehow I ended up making the practice squad as a severely undersized DE. After the first couple weeks of pads I made the 53 man roster and ended up starting like 5 games on special teams ending with (1.5 tackles on kickoff and almost one sack lol). I had gotten up to 215 lb about 2 months into the season (summer season) but it was not exactly muscle and obviousIy I lost a lot of speed. I did also get to play a series at Defensive end in one non-conference game against the Racine Threat where I almost got that sack but the guy got a holding penalty and squandered my fortunes lol. (I'll add game film for critique if I can figure out how to get it off of Vimeo.com, its free to view there I was #54) Ive been doing Insanity for the last 40 days or so and I feel really fast so I was scared I probably cut down to 198 or something, went to the Doctor and boom 209.3 so I managed to keep most the weight I put on last year but Im getting pretty beasty and ive alwasy been quick for a lineman but I feel fast right now... Mainly my question is if you guys know any tips on how to be a badass linebacker or if any of you maybe played some college or highschool ball. I know the basics that Ive picked up like watching whether the O lineman is leaning backwards or putting his weight forward translating into whether they are running or passing. I know you always want to take your first step downhill and to meet the fullback in the hole as hard and as fast as possible. The thing Im completely lost on is that Ive never had to cover someone a day in my life. Only like when I was little playing ghetto ball lol. I know that mainly I want to jam TE's and hit WR's comming over the middle, but when can I and cant I touch them. I can bump them up until like 5 yards or something? and Im having a little difficulty in the pass coverage drill we did in the offseaseon because its hard not to turn your back to the QB when you have to break on the ball. Any tips would be like gold if you guys have any input.

Untitled.png

2. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

You can jam them within 5 lines of the line of scrimmage unless the ball is in the air.

3. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Loved your highlight tape, btw

4. GrimReeferXXIV

GrimReeferXXIV Walk On

So as long as Im "jamming" someone or knocking them off of their route before the ball is actually in the air its ok that im still in contact with them once the QB releases? At what point does it become defensive holding or is it always holding if you get a handful of jersey? How technical do they get with this shit did you play backer or D-back in highschool? I think guys are probably pretty sloppy at this level alot of the team came right out of highschool, 6'7" but highschool nonetheless.

5. GrimReeferXXIV

GrimReeferXXIV Walk On

I was at work earlier was posting this between calls and shit lol

Thats part 1 of the Racine Threat game, I get the assist on the tackle on the first kickoff and then I jump up in the air like a giddy little schoolgirl, full of manly rage of course.

Thats part 2 of the same game and I get in at defensive end on the right side of the line at 11:00 min in. My almost sack comes at 13:15 I get double teamed for a second and then fly through but guy held me and I fall on my armpit and chipped my shoulder bone thingy, you can kind of see my arm go limp lol but I stayed in for a play after because I have testicles.

Let me know honestly what ya think any criticism is good criticism.

6. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

GrimReeferXXIV

What scheme do you play?
    What is your position: mike, buck, will, sam...?

Typically want to be 215-245 depending on the position above and what is your height? What kind of frame do you have and how much weight do you think you carry without sacrificing speed?

Some basic questions to answer first.

7. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

You can't hold at all, that will get called. But you can jam them. Don't grab, just stay in their way and push til they get to 5 yds. You're just trying to knock them off their route. The longer they take to run their route, the longer the QB has to wait to throw it to them and the more chance of the pressure getting to him.

Where are you from?

8. GrimReeferXXIV

GrimReeferXXIV Walk On

Last year we ran like a 3-5-3 hybrid.

CB ---------------DE---NT---DE------------- CB
    ----------LB--------------------------LB---------
    -------------------LB---LB---LB-----------------

-------------------------FS------------------------

I think the outside LB's occassionally had like strong safety type responsibilities to help the FS if needed. You would think naturally OLB would be a better transition from DE but the OLB had alot of responsibility in the defense and the guys we had playing that were some of the best in our league at setting the edge. I am thinking Im going to shoot for one of the three interior linebackers. All they had to do was tell the lineman in front of them which gap to shoot and then the other gap then became their responsibility.

We have quite a few guys at LB that are 230 and up and one guy thats constantly trying out for NFL is 265, Joseph Poehls. But we did have one guy last year who started plenty of games at 205. I have a decent frame and I put weight on quickly. im only 5'11" but Im as tall as alot of the guys on the team. Last year I started at 180 lbs but to play DE I started just eating everything in sight and was up to 215 three months later but it wasnt muscle it was mostly fat. I been busting ass since we missed the playoffs with a 7-4 record. The hospital scale had me at 209.3 a few days ago and I feel faster than I was at 180 I think I could still put on about 5 or 10 pounds and keep my speed if it was all muscle weight but Im already about the same weight as at least 3 other linebackers so im not undersized for my position like I was last year. We had some offseason drills and I did the box drill in 8.3 seconds (That was back in November of 2012 way better shape now) and this fast little fucker they call mighty mouse only got like 7.8 seconds. I also beat him in the cone drill where your facing eachother in front of three cones and you have to race left cone then right cone and then sprint through to left cone again.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GrimReeferXXIV

GrimReeferXXIV Walk On

I am from all over WI, MN, and FL lol... But mainly WI and I've been in Eau Claire WI for a few years now

10. KnightNoles

whoaa! lol

Is this HS or college ball?

So ILB you are shooting for? Have to make a decision and go with it, even though cross-training LB positions is good, I would say it is pretty demanding and must take one helluva athlete to do so.

11. GrimReeferXXIV

GrimReeferXXIV Walk On

Its semi-pro were in the Northern Elite Football League. Why do you say that its not that bad of a defense is it? We won 7 games out of 11.

12. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

You don't play against Texas talent....We'd beat your ass.

13. KnightNoles

Here I thought you were a kid.

Typically a 335 or 425

In those four games were those teams better athletically then you all. If you have 5 "LBs" on the field they better be athletic or you better be bringing blitzes every down.

14. GrimReeferXXIV

GrimReeferXXIV Walk On

Nah we got those big ass farm boys and we go outside naked in 20 degrees because thats just what men do haha... The Saint Paul Pioneers another team in our league from Minnesota just went down to Florida and won their 2nd National Championship. But they had some runningback who almost made the San Diego Chargers last year.

15. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

The 5 yard thing is an NFL rule. High school and college rules don't have it. You can jam/molest a receiver anywhere on the field as long as you don't initiate contact while the ball is en route to them, and you can't grab, that's holding. That said, if you go for a jam and they put the shakes on you, it's your ass.

16. GrimReeferXXIV

GrimReeferXXIV Walk On

Semi-pro, we use nfl rules.