ACC Championship Game

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Colemanchu, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

ACC Championship Game

Game Statistics
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    Clemson​
    GT​
    Score
    41​
    38​
    First Downs
    14​
    17​
    Total Offense
    333​
    515​
    Rushes-Yards-TD
    38-56-1​
    22-101-1​
    Comp-Att-TD
    18-26-3​
    20-32-3​
    Passing Yards
    277​
    414​
    3rd Down Conv
    13-17(76)​
    4-7(57)​
    Turnovers
    2​
    5​
    Possesion
    18:51​
    13:09​

The Clemson Tigers and Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets have met many times but no game was bigger than this one. The Jackets win and they are in the National Title game against USF. The Tigers are looking for their first conference title in years. The odds were stacked heavily in favor of Georgia Tech who has dominated Clemson every chance they"ve gotten throughout the years.

The Clemson staff knew they have had teams that could win the big game but their players just hadnt made plays when needed. That all changed early in this game as the Clemson defense stepped up intercepting Georgia Tech quarterback Luallen twice and knocking him out of the game for two quarters. Clemsons defense would add a fumble recovery and a pic six to put the team up 28-14 late in the half with all points coming off turnovers. The Tigers D would add another interception late in the half but tight end Allen was hit in the ankle by a Jacket DB and coughed the ball up inside GT's 10 yard line. Tech was able to capitalize quickley and the teams would enter the half with Clemson leading 28-21.

In the past the Clemson team would have let this late 14 point swing demoralize them. However the team held in there this time even as the Yellow Jackets carved them up on Offense in the second half. The defense that made plays all game was unable to get Tech off the field as they would tie the game up at 28. Clemsons senior quarterback Kyle Parker would not allow his team to lose though as he made play after play on third down (13-17) to keep his defense off the field. Tech would continue to answer as they tied the game up with little time left in the game at 38 all.

The ensuing drive would come down to a third down yet again. Clemsons coaches dialed up a play where Parker would roll right with all his receivers running in the same direction. This strategy was made necesarry by the constant pressure that Tech RE was putting on the Tigers quarterback. As Parker started to roll right he immediately recognized that the play side end was in contain. Knowing that he was screwed Parker sprinted hard to get past the big fellow and as he cleared the defender moved his eyes back upfield. As the defense closed in Parker unleashed a pass to a well covered Brandon Clear who was able to bring it in and move up field to around the Tech 20. After another third down conversion on a run by McDowell the Tigers took a knee letting the clock run to 3. Senior kicker Zimmerman had no problems burying the kick and the Yellow Jackets title shots as Clemson won the game 41-38.

Key Stats: Clemson was 13 of 17 on third down conversions.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Nice win Coleman. I had a feeling after playing you that one time that he couldn't possibly have ANOTHER easy game against you. I think you had bad luck the first time he won in his title year, and then after that it hasn't really been close? Well... Luck came to an end for the Jackets. Tough luck but we know they will come back hongry!

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Wow. That is a big win. Fuck clemson

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    That deciding play my guy went for the swat and missed. Sound familiar?

Year 1, when I beat Clemson in the first meeting the ball literally went over (or through) the fingertips of his defender.

Maybe I'll learn to lose early and not late. Smh. Dammit! Good stuff Coleman

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

yeah, yeah...lose to me!

6. jfosh

jfosh Super

GG Coleman....Now Auburn needs to beat Tennessee.....(y)

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    LOL...never!

seriously I had 4 turnovers in the 1st half...and each time I felt like it was "no big deal"....maybe it's because I have confidence in my offense that I can score at will that those mistakes wouldn't bite me in the end.

Well combined with the fact that I lost my starting QB and backup for the 3rd quarter, it got shaky.

Clemson went into curl up mode and kept the ball away for a ton of time in the 4th even though, as you can see, their rushing numbers were pretty bad.

I scored and that pass play, was like retribution from when I beat him in year 1, pass just over or through the defenders tips.

This loss stings I'll admit. My team was young and dumb, especially my offensive line and defensive backfield (two of my biggest problems on the team). I hope Luallen and Smith come back where I'll have my best shot at the title with my secondary being older and more wiser, and my offense having another shot at it all, minus a few WR's.

8. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I am really getting tired of Alabama cheering against us. (n)