ACC Contenders & Pretenders

Discussion in 'Legendary Veterans' started by IrishBearcat, Aug 5, 2012.

1. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

In the future I'd like to see a member from each conference step up and create at thread for each individual conference. It could be used for conference buzz and to track who is rising and falling in terms of contending for each division and ultimately the conference title. I'll be doing a shorter version breaking down the final games that remain for this season.

BakerWildcat7 BennettForce Bl0ndeRedHead bawvu97 -Cougars- Hokie Effect
    IrishBearcat iBleedOrange247 LSUTRUTH The Parrothead UNo x Broncos Will Atkinson

First, we'll start with the ACC Conference and take a look at where each team stands;

[​IMG]

ACC NORTH - THE CONTENDERS

[​IMG][​IMG]
    When taking a look at the ACC North it is easy to see this is a two team battle between Florida State and NC State. Currently, the Wolf Pack hold the advantage with a 5-1 conference record and the head to head tiebreaker from their shutout against the Seminoles. Coach Parrothead is not out of the woods yet with three conference games remaining on the schedule. The team will host Wake Forest, travel to Clemson, and host Boston College for the season finale.

Florida State has some work to do and has to hope that NC State will suffer one more upset. None of this probably matters if Coach Will Aktinson and his team can't pull off a big win against Virginia Tech. Traveling to Maryland could very well be a trap game with the Gators looming for the Senior's last game. Florida State's best shot will be to go undefeated and hope for an NC State loss.
    Florida State will drop one of their final three games, eliminating them from contention for the division title. Coach Parrothead will sail through the remaining schedule and lead an 11-1 NC State into the ACC Conference Championship Game.

[​IMG]

ACC NORTH - THE PRETENDERS

[​IMG]
    Sitting at 3-6 Maryland is elminated from contention for for the division title. This is no surprise as Coach bawvu97 was given one of the toughest jobs in the country taking over a 2-10 Maryland squad that completely fell apart during Coach Randy Edsall's one year tenure in 2011. At first glance this looks like a team that is continuing to struggle, but the record doesn't tell the entire story.

Losses to a #1 West Virginia squad (1 point loss), a top 10 Kansas State squad (6 points), and losing to Boston College (5 points) were all games that could have easily gone in favor of the Terapins. The record could easily be reversed to 6-3, but the breaks have not gone the way of Maryland this season. They've already surpassed the win total from last season, and chances to double their record and reach a bowl game are on the table for the taking. Trips to Clemson and North Carolina will be tough, and even though they are the home team FSU will be a tough game to nab.
    Maryland will definitely double their win total from 2011 and seize their fourth victory. Despite a bowl bid being alive I do not like their chances at reaching a bowl. Maryland finishes 2012 with a 4-8 record and with the incoming class will have a great shot to reach a bowl game in 2013, and perhaps begin nipping at the heals of the top players in the ACC.

ACC SOUTH - THE CONTENDERS

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The state of Virginia has completely taken over the entire conference. The addition of Coach Cougs to become the head man at Virginia was felt to be a homerun hire. He has been everything and more with his team the lone undefeated team in the ACC with a 9-0 record. It is going to be exciting to watch this team play down the stretch with three big games on the schedule. Hosting the Hurricanes and North Carolina will no layup, and the finale against Virginia Tech will be perhaps the biggest game in the entire 2012 college football season. Circle the matchup against the Tarheels as UNC has already upset a top five team from the state of Virginia this season.

First year Head Coach Hokie Effect created quite a stir with several public claims that his team had already one the National Championship and predicting nobody would be able to touch the Hokies. Many fans loved the passion and ethusiam but many in the media and outside the program didn't take it as well. Despite having a huge target on their back the Hokies came out of the gate looking like a potential National Champnionship caliber team with their 4-0 start. The team suffered a devastating upset in a 1 point loss to North Carolina. Despite getting Oklahoma at home Virginia Tech was snubbed 21-27 in another heartbreaker. The hype may not have been accurate but this team has had a very solid season with a 7-2 record and a 4-1 conference campaign. Home games against FSU and Virginia will be intense battles, and BC should be no problem on the road.
    Both teams will enter the rivlary game having won all of their remaining games. This will be a matchup of two top 10 teams with 12-0 (7-0) and 9-2 (6-1) records respectively. It doesn't get any better than battling your biggest rival in the same state for all the marbles. This game will be an instant classic. Hokies will lead in the fourth, but the Cavaliers will have the last possession.. and knock off big brother!

[​IMG]
    ACC SOUTH - THE PRETENDERS

[​IMG]
    Coach Bl0nde arrived in Chapel Hill assuring that it would take some time, but that the Tar Heels have the potential to become a powerhouse in the ACC Conference. This season has been a roller coaster for the UNC with a mix of big wins and dissapointing losses. After starting out 2-0 North Carolina looked to be poised to skyrocket up the rankings with a big lead over a top 25 Oklahoma State Cowboys. The game fell through the hands of the Tar Heels as they found a way to collapse in a 28-35 loss. The Cowboys sit currently as the #2 team in the country and one has to wonder how they season would have played out diffrently with the momentum of a win like that.

The next week it was easy to tell the team was suffering a hangover from the heartbreaking loss as they fell short of upsetting a top 10 MSU team in a 14-20 loss. The roller coaster went back up as UNC shocked the nation with their 1 point win over Virginia Tech. Back down the coaster went as North Carolina was beaten by the Hurricanes in a 32-49 loss. The pattern continued with a close win over Duke on the road, but then a beatdown by in state rival NC State. The team picked themselves back up again with a win over Pittsburgh, and sits at 5-4 (3-2). Home games against Georgia Tech and Maryland should be easy wins, but a road date with #1 Virginia could be another shot at upset glory or another severe blowout.
    Coach Bl0nde will get this team to a 7-5 record and will most likely be the favorite in the bowl game. Victories over the Yellow Jackets and Terapins will come with ease, and they'll just miss on ruining a perfect season for the Cavaliers. The recruiting looks solid, and with improvement in terms of on the field consistency this could be a very dangerous team in 2013.

• Like Like x 4
  2. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Cavaliers run the ACC!

3. IrishBearcat

You should take note from your instate rival and not count your eggs before they hatch. :)

4. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Well, I'm 9-0 and #1 so...:)

5. IrishBearcat

You're just asking for a Va Tech upset!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Only liked it because of the GIF but Irish if I get upset then you will be the LV 2013 national champs lol

7. IrishBearcat

I plan to do this for the Big XII, most likely sometime later tonight or tomorrow. Between two game summaries, getting the forums updated, and this doozy I'm content'ed out.

8. IrishBearcat

Woah there Cowboy, I may not even win the division, let alone get to the CCG, or even the NCG.

If you wanna count your eggs, cool. Leave mine the fuck alone tho!

9. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

I'm pretty good at calling things though

10. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Like your upcoming loss to UNC?

11. IrishBearcat

Roller Coaster says you'll lose this week but win against Virginia next week.

• Like Like x 1
  12. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

That ain't happenin'

13. Bl0ndeRedHead

I've been getting exponentially better against the CPU the past few days in all my leagues, 2013 is the year of the Tar Heel!

14. Bl0ndeRedHead

What are we gonna bet on this game? I'm never wrong in my user game predictions (y)

15. Bl0ndeRedHead

And do I get extra credit for ending two division rivals undefeated runs?

16. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

I don't know what do you have in mind?

17. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    ill be happy to have a kicker better than 73 next year....might be able to make a 45 yder

18. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    On that note, anyone know how much guys progress from season to season?

19. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

It varies to be honest. I don't know how though. Some go from +2 to +5

20. Bl0ndeRedHead

I believe the average is around 3-4 points an offseason, some lower some higher