ACC Media Day

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

[​IMG]

Just like the SEC, the ACC will have a media day; only nobody is paying attention since both participants in the National Championship game were from the SEC. Still, responses are mandatory!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

[​IMG]

NYJuggalo45

Question 1: Please profile (minimum, more if wanted) three players on offense, and three players on defense that will drive the fortunes of the football team this season.

Question 2: Assuming the speedy Clarence Strickland is the starter this year, what would have to happen to give the 95 THP, 98 THA Donald Jackson a shot? You said you don't like his lack of speed, but there are such things as dump-off routes and extra blockers. Is he going to go down as the best arm in the history of college football who never got a real shot during his final seasons?

Question 3: Are you planning to have your offense grind away in a similar style as last year without Heisman winner Cole Grant?

Question 4: Assuming Parker is the starter at halfback, who gets the job if he gets hurt?

Question 5: What type of defense will you be running this year? Is it any change from last season?

Question 6: What's the biggest strength of NC State on defense, and vice versa?

Question 7: Where will your focus be in recruiting this season? Any insta-commits?

Question 8: Finally, answer these questions about opposing coaches in the ACC. Give the name of the opposing coach, and a one-sentence reason why.

What's the most dreaded game in conference?

What opposing coach has the best defense?

What opposing coach has the best offense?

What opposing coach (league wide) gives you the most trouble in recruiting?

- Good luck out there this year, coach!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  3. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Gt doesnt speak to the media. They are twits :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

[​IMG]

Mogriffjr

Question 1: Please profile (minimum, more if wanted) three players on offense, and three players on defense that will drive the fortunes of the football team this season.

Question 2: If I recall correctly, Jeremy Grant was recruited as a true 2-star ATH. Have you seen any more uber diamond in the rough types since Grant? I honestly cannot say that I've seen any 2-star guys with the ability to come in and dominate games since him. Pretty cool they included that aspect in this year's game.

Question 3: Are you planning any change in the offensive attack with some great running back talent coming into the system? Will Darius "my ratings aren't actually THAT GREAT" Lucas be approaching 5,000 yards again?

Question 4: Sort out this halfback situation for us. Who's the starter, which guys do you like the best and which are you still not sure about?

Question 5: What type of defense will you be running this year? Is it any change from last season?

Question 6: What's the biggest strength of BC on defense, and vice versa?

Question 7: Where will your focus be in recruiting this season? Any insta-commits?

Question 8: Finally, answer these questions about opposing coaches in the ACC. Give the name of the opposing coach, and a one-sentence reason why.

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

[​IMG]

Twister18

Question 2: Three of your top 7 players in terms of OVR rating are found on the offensive line. What type of line is yours, more of a pass blocking or run blocking line, and what role will they play in your success this season?

Question 3: One of the hallmarks of your team, and your attack over the past couple of seasons at Maryland is the tall receivers. The starters in a typical pro type setup this year would be 6'5 and 6'7. What makes these guys so dangerous and preferable to you, and do you think it can become a negative at times relying on their size a little too much?

Question 4: Who will you be controlling on the D-line this year, and why?

Question 6: What's the biggest strength of MD on defense, and vice versa?

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

yes, you are

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

[​IMG]

smlVICTORIES53

Question 2: The media focus every year is on the system the Georgia Tech squad is running. Any changes to that system this year, even if minor ones?

Question 3: You nabbed one of the best players in the country last year in Kelvin Heffner. Critics might say he'll rot in an offense like this, while you can obviously point to Calvin Johnson and laugh. Is there any way to get Heffner the touches that he needs over his career within the framework of the triple option? Is he redshirting this year or right into the mix?

Question 4: You have a lot of good youngsters on the O-line but overall is this a step down from last year? Did that play a role in the struggles of the offense in the first game, and is it something you're concerned about going forward this year?

Question 6: What's the biggest strength of GT on defense, and vice versa?

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

[​IMG]

charter04

Question 2: What's been the biggest challenge in terms of taking on a Miami squad that had a lot of talented upper classmen but has lost some of that talent and probably profiles as the last talented squad among user teams? Are you making inroads to shape this roster to your liking or is the head start by other teams a bit much to overcome?

Question 3: Since some people may not be familiar with your game yet, do you consider yourself a balanced offensive attack, a passing team or a running team? I believe you run some type of single back offense since you only have one fullback?

Question 4: What type of defense will you be running this year? Is it any change from last season?

Question 5: What's the biggest strength of the U on defense, and vice versa?

Question 6: Where will your focus be in recruiting this season? Any insta-commits?

Question 7: Finally, answer these questions about opposing coaches in the ACC. Give the name of the opposing coach, and a one-sentence reason why.

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

---Well considering that we put so much on our QB, I'll start there with Darius Lucas. Lucas has been the driving force behind this team since he's come on campus and he's come a long way in 4 years. He's now one of the top QB's in the nation and surely to be playing on sundays. More importantly though, Lucas improved on his accuracy and seemingly had a "pep in his step" when FR-QB Cornelius Washington came onto campus as the "next best thing".
    Kenneth Moore is also someone we feel can take the next step. Last year I felt he played real good in user games and really IMO, distinguished himself as our best overall RB. Moore's ability to get to the outside and to use his extra burst is one of the things we really like in our offense and he's been able to provide that, although we have a lot of RB's in the stable suddenly.
    Last but not least, I'll look to Joey Joseph. Joseph will be starting alongside Grant and Joseph has tons of potential. I feel last year, unfortunately, Jason Hill really struggled with his hands and wasn't a real reliable #2. Joseph doesn't have the size but he's surely fast and athletic and allows us to play more conventional sets in which we can stretch the field from. Sometimes it's good to have 2WR's out and have one who can break free on play-action and we really couldn't do that for the past couple of years.

Question 2: If I recall correctly, Jeremy Grant was recruited as a true 2-star ATH. Have you seen any more uber diamond in the rough types since Grant? I honestly cannot say that I've seen any 2-star guys with the ability to come in and dominate games since him. Pretty cool they included that aspect in this year's game.

---Well Grant certainly was the standard for finding true gems. Dan Holt, our starting FS for 4 years now was another gem, much like Grant who was a low 3 star ATH, went from 62 to 69 then a position change and he was an 80 if I recall correctly. He's now a 95ovr FS and he came in a class before Grant did. I'd say I really haven't come across someone like those, although last year we recruited a kid by the name of Dustin Kemp. Kemp, much like the previous two were low ATH's. Again went from 62 to 69 then in position changes, we moved him to WR. He jumped to 78 and is now redshirting. Kemp has a very mature body at 6'1", 232lbs and reminds me so much of Dan Holt in body type and how much we uncovered his true talents. It has been very refreshing to see a better variety of athletes and players in general that can go two ways on the field, like you said, very good job.

Question 3: Are you planning any change in the offensive attack with some great running back talent coming into the system? Will Darius "my ratings aren't actually THAT GREAT" Lucas be approaching 5,000 yards again?

---Ha well if we can't help it, we'd love to not have Lucas chucking the ball all over the field. It was mostly out of necessity his 1st 3 years here. But like you mentioned, we been bringing in some serious RB talent. We have Kenneth Moore, a kid we really like who we didn't expect to be as good as he's been for us so far. Then two years ago, we brought in two big time backs in Kevin Holiday and Stephen Maxwell. With so much talent in the backfield now, we have moved from our QB friendly sets and into a more balanced attack we feel. More pro sets were installed this spring, especially with the addition of a TRUE blocking FB now in front of them. We definitely feel a bit more comfortable running the ball and hopefully we'll see the results on the field.

Question 4: Sort out this halfback situation for us. Who's the starter, which guys do you like the best and which are you still not sure about?

---Well we really went into the spring with an open mind. We have 5 excellent RB's we feel on this roster. Last year's starter, Kenneth Moore brings the dynamic with his speed, acceleration and agility, just an overall good package. He also can line up at WR and be a good option out of the backfield. Truthfully he's our back the the best ability to break the big runs.
    Kevin Holiday had shared frustrations with his playing time and almost transferred but we really like what he can offer here. At 6'2", 241lbs, he's a big strong back but with quick feet, reminds me a bit of Jamal Lewis, former Ravens back. Holiday just needs to be patient, with his strength, power and ability to be an asset out of the backfield as well.
    Stephen Maxwell maybe has the potential to be the star out of the group. He's not as fast as Moore, but he brings power, excellent combination of speed, acceleration and really has the ability to be a 20-25 carry back here, not to mention he can also grab some passes much like Moore and Holiday. We really had to fend off the big dogs in recruiting to get him here and after a redshirt, he's more than ready to take on the starting role.
    Manny Fields has been here 4 years, starting on and off and struggled a bit with holding onto the football. He's a gamebreaker and while we wanna get him in the open field to utilize his speed, he's not exactly the quickest you know, but certainly can provide a spark out there.
    Then the big kid in Trevor Ellison, who really has become lost in the shuffle here as he's not the fastest but he's maybe our best power back and one who can break tackles and a true short yardage kid.
    Right now to give you an answer, we really have 3 kids who can start in Moore, Holiday and Maxwell. We may play the hot hand for now because I surely feel we have 3 starting backs...and I know it's a cop out to say this but it is what it is.

---We will stick to our 3-4 base defense here. We don't have much depth at DT and our ends, Perry and Inman have a nice combination of power and speed. But our strength is more towards our LB's where we have lots of guys we like right now. We are running the same defense as last year.

Question 6: What's the biggest strength of BC on defense, and vice versa?
    ---Biggest strength I feel is in our secondary. We really worked hard the past 3 years to get some secondary help in here and we are starting to see the fruits of our labor. Dan Holt, our captain of our secondary really was the one to get the ball rolling. He anchors our defense right now but has paved the way for an aggressive approach for our guys back there, play hard fast and most of all, have the ability to be out on an island. I come from the Rex Ryan type of defense where we can have our corners play one on one and more than hold their own. As of now we're starting a freshman at one corner in Damian Williams, he really has potential to be a star here. Alongside him is Ira Scales, a 6'2" JR who has blazing speed and that height where he can play bigger WR's. He really showed he can be that guy last year with 5 picks starting last year. Then one kid we are giddy about is Victor Washington, a 6'4" CB who has just great cover skills already. He was a JUCO SO kid who we redshirted and is now at the nickle spot. He's so agile and quick and we really want to see what he can do out there. Then our nickel back from last year, John Brown will play dime and occassional nickel packages. He really is crafty and is an asset to have at the dime spot where he can make some big plays. And in the just-in-case files, we have kids like Shedrick Scott, a RS-FR who can come in and play if need be and RS-SO Ryan Williams, a hybrid CB/FS/SS kid who will see time in different roles. Finally at SS Jay Lewis gets the nod there, a 6'3" kid who really is the jack of all trades back there and will split time with Ryan Williams.

---We insta-committed a guard, very good one who was a gem, went up to a 78...we are really gonna hit the offensive line hard because we can improve in that aspect. Also, we'd like to get some more big time athletes at the LB position, much like our MLB Patrick, who is a monster already as a sophomore.

---Eh well most likely Georgia Tech because he brings such a different offense to the table with his triple option. It's difficult to know where he's going to go with the ball at times so it can be frustrating, not to mention he's always near the top at the end of the year for a title reign in the ACC. Also Virginia is just going to be a flat our close contest...both teams really are starting to make their marks with getting the players they want to make their teams take that next step and since IMO it seems step for step right now, it's just always a fascinating game when we link up.

---Georgia Tech. Sometimes I just can't figure out what defense he's running. They are the only team I feel that has contained our passing game throughout the years. Not to mention there's always one play where we get the short end of the stick on.

---Had to change this for my ACC brethren. Virginia gets my vote. Very decisive with the ball, tough to gauge where they are going with the ball, and a solid run game.

---As an up and coming team we've tried not to go head to head in recruiting a lot because we don't have the resources to compete with the big boys. I'd say out of all the teams, GT has gotten us on a few recruits we wanted. Other than that we try to stick to our gameplan and get kids that want to come here and stay our of battles we can't win.

---thank you sir, appreciate it...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

I am feeling way to much man luv from mo to smalls!! ;p

• Like Like x 1
  11. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

[​IMG]

QB Clarence Strickland - 96ovr - Sr(rs) - With Cole Grant moving on to the NFL, Strickland is the star of the show. He had an excellent season last year as a starter for the entire season, and this year, the playbook has been changed some to take advantage of his skills. 92 speed with 87 thp/95tha he is the ultimate dual threat QB, and this year you will see much more of him putting up stats, both on the ground and thru the air

HB Phillip Parker - 92ovr - Sr(rs) - Let's be real here, no one is going to replace nearly 6000 rush yards and 60 tds over the last 3 seasons which Cole Grant provided. Parker is a very talented back, but he is not going to fill in Grant's shoes. He is no where as fast, but is a bigger/more powerful back. We plan to pass more and use Strickland more as a runner, but Parker is going to be needed to keep team's honest and give us some production on the ground

WR Brian Calhoun - 83ovr - Fr(rs) - Signed last year as the #1 ATH in the land, Calhoun was moved to WR and given the season to learn the position. This year, he immediately moved into the starting lineup and will provide us with our first true game breaker WR since my tenure at NC State. 95spd/94 acc with 85 cth as on a freshman, Calhoun figures to be our #1 WR for his duration in a Woldpack uniform

DE Cornelius Martin - 94ovr - Sr - Martin declared for the NFL draft and projected as a 3rd rd pick. We were able to convince him if he came back he would be a 1st rounder, and if his week 1 performance of 5 sacks in the 1st half before being pulled is any indication, we were right. He is a beast and one of the best pass rushers in the nation, period

MLB Jonathan Smith - 88ovr - Sr - Smith is an every down/never leave the field LB and is a guy who seems to be in on every play. Great size, speed, tackle, coverage, he can do it all, and does for us. We are going to rely on him heavily to lead our defensive unit and be a major force every game

SS Mark Brown - 79ovr - Fr - Much like Parker, Brown has some huge shoes to fill. Tony King gradutated and moved on to the NFL and was out best defensive player each of the last 2 seasons. Brown has great raw skills, and is a solid coverage and run stopping safety. But he is an inexperenced freshman playing is a very important position, so how fast he learns the position is going to go a long way in how good our defensive unit will be

Question 2: Assuming the speedy Clarence Strickland is the starter this year, what would have to happen to give the 95 THP, 98 THA Donald Jackson a shot? You said you don't like his lack of speed, but there are such things as dump-off routes and extra blockers. Is he going to go down as the best arm in the history of college football who never got a real shot during his final seasons?

Sadly, yes. Jackson was the starter over Strickland, and even with the gaudy numbers, I was never able to use him effectively. He is amazingly slow, and cant get away from pressure. This results in many many turnovers, and I think his career numbers will bear truth to that. I love his arm, and he will probably be a 1st rd NFL pick and great pro starter. But in our offense, Clarence is the better player, and we have changed our playbook to take advantage of his skills, so the only way you will see Donald is if Strickland suffers and injury.

Question 3: Are you planning to have your offense grind away in a similar style as last year without Heisman winner Cole Grant?

As mentioned a few times previously, we have changed our offense. At heart, I am a ground and pound coach. Anyone who has been around me knows that. But the talent on our roster this year just does not support that type of style. We have a very good running QB. We have some solid, but unspecatucalar RBs. And we have 4 WRs and 2 TEs who we really like and want to get the ball to. So expect some more option game, so more spreading out the field and passing the ball, so more shots down the field if we can take advantage of a 1 on 1 matchup, but we will still run the rock enough that teams will need to respect the run and not play Nickle or Dime all day

Question 4: Assuming Parker is the starter at halfback, who gets the job if he gets hurt?

Well, first, bite your tounge. We are young and thin behind him, so lets hope he makes it thru the season. If he does (knock on wood) suffer an injury, we would probably go with a committee system with Marques Anthony the speedy back and Josh Smith the between the tackles back in bigger sets

We are vanilla. Still running the 4-3. Still a believer in getting pressure on the QB via the blitz. Might play a little more zone than in the past due to Brown starting at SS and he being much more effective in zone coverage. But if you've played us before, you know what you will see

Our biggest strength is definitely our Dline, where we start Martin (94) - Henderson (88) - Bell (92) and Walker (88). All 4 of them are solid against the run and great pass rushers. Our biggest weakness is OLB. Returning starter Ed Brown is a very solid player who provides speed and great run stuffing at OLB, but leaves a little to be desired in coverage. Across from him, we have 3 80 ovr Freshman who we rotated in week 1 and haven't decided who will start on a weekly basis

Oline without question. We have a senior laden Oline and werent able to land any clear cut starters last year so we plan to go heavy after olineman across the board. Andf...no :(

We've played all of them close, and have been on the losing end more than not so any one of them could fit here. But if forced to pick 1, it would be Coach Smalls at Georgia Tech, simply cause of their triple option scheme and never knowing where the hell the ball is going on any play

Probably Coach Helli at Virginia. Tons of talent, and last time we played, moving the ball was very difficult

Easy one - Coach Mo at BC. Definitely not the best talent, but man, getting a stop on a drive against them feels like a win

Another easy one, Coach HotRod at So Carolina. Probably the team we are closest too geographically and we have alot of the same recruits interested in our schools. But simply put, we cannot compete with them. So our hope is guys we go after, he does not. And if he does, we drop them immediately as it is a pointless uphill battler

Thanks...great questions...Go Pack!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  12. jfosh

jfosh Super

I love this question made me chuckle

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Hellisan

Question 2: You led the nation in passing yards with Patrick Williams and really IMO took it up another notch in the passing game with him. Is that a product of him being a stud QB? Also are you slowly becoming more of a air it out type offense or do you still rather have balance with your offense?

Question 3: Kenny Bailey has been the apple of your eye since he stepped onto campus. Take me behind the decision to redshirt him his senior season and what his reaction was to the decision. Conversely, talk about the new starter, Dwayne Porter and what he can bring to your offense.

Question 4: What are the changes you need to make with your team, or even strategy/coaching to bring a BCS title to Virginia?

• Like Like x 3
  14. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

was going to do one for helli this morning but mo beat me to it

• Like Like x 1
  15. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

I wish there was trading in college football. 94ovr with 95/98 arm, definitely would land me a 1st rd pick or a star player at another position. Sadly, he is going to waste away on our bench

16. Twister18

• Like Like x 1
  17. Twister18

[​IMG]

Twister18

1. QB Matt Covington: The RS JR QB took over for impact player Dane Field half way through the season last season and responded with his greater throw power (92) and accuracy (93) to give the Terps a much needed vertical game. "Matt has just scratched the tip of his potential to be a starting QB in the ACC. After throwing for 6 tds in the opener against Houston, Covington looks to be headed for a breakout year!

2. HB Jon Anderson: On paper, Anderson looks much like a perfect HB except he had a monster back in Brooks ahead of him. Having 94 speed, 92 acceleration, 91 agility, and 71 strength, leaves an offense with alot of options and opposing defenses with alot of headaches. "We have to find ways to give Jon as many touches in a game as possible, including working him into the passing game." replied Coach Twist.

3. WR Akeem West: The RS JR boasts one skill that can't be taught: Height. Being 6'7" and 240 pounds makes him bigger than most TEs but add in the 89 speed, 97 acceleration, and 96 jumping should make West almost unstoppable in the red zone. Also having 6-5 WR Greg Setzer opposite you can help as well.

Defense:
    1. OLB Henry Hogan: A preseason AA, the nephew of the Hulkster bodyslams and legdrops all opposing players that get into his area. A three down LB, he is very active in pass coverage with his 99 acceleration and 94 pursuit rating and his 91 block shed makes him pretty formidable on the blitz as well.

2. DT Marvin Kennedy/ DT Pat Holmes make quite the duo inside for the Terps. Both are rated 90 overall but Holmes plays the nT spot, using his 91 strength to bottle up the run, whereas Kennedy uses his quickness to force the plays to the outside or collapse the pocket when a pass is called.

3. CB John McConnell: The RS SR led the Terps last season with 7 INTs and really asserted himself as a shut-down cb last year. Having 89 OVR Mike Gorman next to him also takes some of the pressure off as he is a very good defender as well.

Question 2: Three of your top 7 players in terms of OVR rating are found on the offensive line. What type of line is yours, more of a pass blocking or run blocking line, and what role will they play in your success this season?

All across this young line, the ratings are very high in the pass blocking stats. I will still try to run the ball to set up the play-action but may rely heavily on the arm of Covington and his WRs.

Question 3: One of the hallmarks of your team, and your attack over the past couple of seasons at Maryland is the tall receivers. The starters in a typical pro type setup this year would be 6'5 and 6'7. What makes these guys so dangerous and preferable to you, and do you think it can become a negative at times relying on their size a little too much?

The Terps was very well recruited in the past few seasons which gave us 5 WRs over the size of 6-4, led by Greg Setzer and Akeem West. Both of these players are very capable of wrestling a ball away from a DB and are extremely hard to jam off the line. If they get free in a secondary, it could be game over. I am not used to having such big WRs and have had to wait a bit longer to make their cuts, whereas the smaller WRs turn much quicker.

Question 4: Who will you be controlling on the D-line this year, and why?
    I usually use the RE or RDT because my reaction and ball skills are not as good as some of the younger coaches but I have been practising alot with using the MLB and will switch it up a bit depending on the tendencies of the opposing team.

4-3 all the way. May switch to the 3-4 as I have many good LBs on the roster.

Question 6: What's the biggest strength of MD on defense, and vice versa?

The biggest strength is their front 7. Very solid DL but with Hogan and new MLB Lance Grant and Keith Hall manning the other outside spot, they are very formidible.

Question 7: Where will your focus be in recruiting this season?

Any insta-commits? I want to focus on the OL spots and a couple of WRs. I have signed #1 CB in Matt Rogers, who is an 80 so far, the $11 WR Spencer Silva and a DE that will be a project for a couple of seasons.

Virginia: Coach Helli (HHH) and I have pretty good games, just havnt been able to finish a full one yet.
    Georgia Tech: Coach Smalls (Mr Excitement)has probably helped me read defenses that anyone.
    Boston College: Coach Mo is a laugh a minute but is a very tough game and owes some payback this season.
    NC State: Coach Juggz and I had a good game marred by a disco and hope to have another this season.
    Miami: Coach Charter brings a very solid game to the table and have to limit mistakes or the Hurricanes will wipe ya out.

I really don't have any I dread as i played Max and HotRod and Brave every year so all the dread has left the building and all I have is luv!!

Virginia has the best defense on paper and on the field but look out for BC. His defense plays better than ratings show.

Boston College just knows where my defenders are not. He has ever since we played but this season will be different.

I don't even go against Hot Rod anymore but I will still try to steal a recruit from that Lotto luving Texas Aggie!!! :p

• Like Like x 2
  18. charter04

charter04 Walk On

[​IMG]

charter04

Offense
    SR QB Nate Stevenson will be counted on to drive the Miami offensive attack. With the switch to the Air Raid offense he will have plenty of chances to pass.
    SO WR Chris Brown looks to build on his great FR year. With the Canes going to a more pass heavy attack he will have his chances.
    SR TE Nick Brewster will also get his share of catches this year.

Defense
    SR DT Steve Walden will look to man the middle for the Miami defense. They had a very good unit last year and look to keep it going.
    JR LB Nick Heinz had a good year last year. He is a sideline to side line player and is also good in coverage.
    SR DE Kurt Hamby had a great year rushing the QB and will look to keep up the pressure this season.

Question 2: What's been the biggest challenge in terms of taking on a Miami squad that had a lot of talented upper classmen but has lost some of that talent and probably profiles as the last talented squad among user teams? Are you making inroads to shape this roster to your liking or is the head start by other teams a bit much to overcome?

It has been a challenge for sure but, I have experience really doing a good job scouting and finding players who fit a system that aren't always the most highly recruited. I feel in a year or two I will know if it was too far behind everyone else.

Question 3: Since some people may not be familiar with your game yet, do you consider yourself a balanced offensive attack, a passing team or a running team? I believe you run some type of single back offense since you only have one fullback?

I normally run a pro style system. I switched to the Alabama one back last year to see if I liked it. This year I switched to the Air Raid attack. I'm normally pretty conservative but, I want to pass more this year.

Question 4: What type of defense will you be running this year? Is it any change from last season?

Last season I tried the 3-3-5 for the first time ever. This year I went back to my good ole reliable 4-3.

Question 5: What's the biggest strength of the U on defense, and vice versa?

I am a pretty good defensive play caller. I like to mix it up and fool the offense. I'm working on being better at the sticks but, sometimes I do more harm than good when I try and switch men and make all the tackles. On offense I also feel I'm a good patent play caller that tries to keep the d guessing.

Question 6: Where will your focus be in recruiting this season? Any insta-commits?

Really focusing on players from pipeline states and have me #1 to begin with. I have one insta commit so far.

Question 7: Finally, answer these questions about opposing coaches in the ACC. Give the name of the opposing coach, and a one-sentence reason why.

What's the most dreaded game in conference? Hellison- He has killed me both times we played.

What opposing coach has the best defense? Hellison- Shut me down pretty good.

What opposing coach has the best offense? Hellison-couldn't stop him.

What opposing coach (league wide) gives you the most trouble in recruiting? Hot Rod - Stay out of Florida!! LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

[​IMG]

First of all Mogriffjr you got me fired up with these great questions and I'd like to see you take this over as your baby next year if you have the time. I feel the questions are top notch and interesting which was not easy to do. If not, no worries, but I went off the deep end because I am hyped about this version of our team. Whether we win em all or have a down year this is going to be the best team I have in this year's version of the game, so why not go all out with the preview AHEM MEDIA DAY.

OFFENSE

HB Dwayne Porter - Gets his first chance to be a star. Since he's not huge, or extremely fast, it took awhile for us to start realizing how good he could be. Once he had nine separate (and important) ratings over 90, we said o.k. let's give this guy a shot.

C Thomas Jordan, LT Anthony Brooks - The anchors of our line. Both of these guys are more athletic than you'd commonly see, and can pretty much do it all. Brooks is a real handful if he gets to the second level.

QB Patrick Williams - Last year's Maxwell winner and O'Brien winner threw for 5,078 yards and 58 TD against 17 INT last year. A few more INT than we'd like, but we don't have the world's best receivers as the ones we want get insta-committed every year. Williams has a great arm, incredible accuracy, and a maddening tendency to slip sack attempts in the pocket. Furthermore, he often times will complete passes that are horrible reads by me. He will pass Case Keenum's record for career TD passes (155, currently has 129) but Mogriffjr 's Darius Lucas will be the career leader (137 as of now). One of my favorite plays by Williams:

John Huggins - I could talk for a good long time about Huggins. A converted athlete, we found Huggins in a season where our top WR prospect insta-committed to Ohio State (that guy played right away and graduated last season). Huggins had 99 RTE as a true junior, and has the kind of speed that often results in a small crack going the distance. He's not big, but it's amazing what he gets to. His hands have improved dramatically, with 14 drops in year 1, 9 drops in year 2, and just 2 drops last season. To sum him up, he's a first down machine that occasionally makes a huge play. As a sophomore he was our punt returner, and managed to return a missed field goal for a touchdown.

[​IMG]

DEFENSE

FS Gary McKeon (#45, in honor of Kenny Easley) - one of those guys who is even better than his OVR rating would suggest. It's safe to say if I hadn't managed to get lucky with respect to the states that Gary McKeon and Mike Baker were in, we would not be the team we are today. Somehow we snagged him despite an attempt by HotRod to nab him. All he's done since then is stand out as easily the best player on the field in just about every game he's been in. He had 5 INT as a freshman and another 5 as a junior, taking back 4 to the house his junior season. This is not to say his career hasn't had its ups and downs. In his sophomore season, he intercepted a pass on the opponent's first drive of Game 1 and was promptly hurt for the season. He ended his Junior year on the disabled list as well so we held him out of the lineup for a season last year with a very capable FS on the team, in order to hopefully get his INJ rating up as high as possible for one last run at a monster season. McKeon is the highest rated safety in the nation by 4 OVR points, and the highest rated guy behind him is 94 OVR Dan Holt (Boston College, who is 6'1) with the guy behind Holt rated 90, so these guys don't grow on trees. Two videos of McKeon doing his thing:

MLB Mike Baker - Another lucky signing as we survived an invasion in the state of Virginia by South Carolina in that season to land the two studs of our defense. Unlike McKeon, Baker has been consistently healthy, garnering over 100 combined tackles in each of his first three seasons and increasingly becoming a headache for opposing passing games. If he gets a crease in the middle he can chase down most outside runs thanks to his great speed and acceleration. When he gets there, he can knock the shit out of you. he has 217 career solo tackles (next highest nation-wide is BC linebacker Dan Holt with 167), 90 career TFL (Clarence Frye, Iowa, 58) and 9 career INT.

OLB Zach Thompson - Afterthought recruit in the state of VA where we liked his bench/40/squat and were doing the 10 minute per week deal on him with nobody else interested. Then at the end of the season we scouted him, and liked what we saw. A lot. Great speed and acceleration combination and really hits like a ton of bricks for a 208-lb linebacker.

DE Brian Riggs - Because he plays at the right DE spot I'm not sure if he'll ever have superstar numbers, but as an 88 OVR RS Soph it's safe to say that he's one of the better DE in the country. 91 PMV and FMV combined with a very good speed/acceleration combo and solid pursuit, he's just a guy who gets it done. He was hurt for most of last year, we're looking for 10+ sacks from him this season.

CB Casey McDonald - Let's be clear, he isn't a shut-down corner but he's the closest we've got. Ok there's no shutdown corners in this game we know that. What he is, is a big-play CB who is at 14 INT in his career and counting heading into his junior season. He can run, and he can catch, and likes to combine those two with 5 career defensive TD.

Question 2: You led the nation in passing yards with Patrick Williams and really IMO took it up another notch in the passing game with him. Is that a product of him being a stud QB? Also are you slowly becoming more of a air it out type offense or do you still rather have balance with your offense?

Last year was a byproduct of a couple of things. An offensive line that seemingly couldn't block the run but was good at pass blocking. Kenny Bailey getting hurt for the majority of the season and not really having a lot of confidence in Porter (not as much as I should have) and not wanting to take the redshirt off Terry Jackson (this year's backup). At the same time Williams was putting almost every throw on the money and we were doing well with the passing game so we just took it up a notch.

Question 3: Kenny Bailey has been the apple of your eye since he stepped onto campus. Take me behind the decision to redshirt him his senior season and what his reaction was to the decision. Conversely, talk about the new starter, Dwayne Porter and what he can bring to your offense.

There were a couple of reasons for this. The primary reason is that Bailey's career has been continuously shortened, season by season, due to injuries. Freshman season he missed only a game or so but since then he's missed anywhere from 6-8 games a season in the following two. We have Dwayne Porter (98 OVR) and Bailey is the type that needs a good 20-25 carries to wear down the D and start breaking tackles. If you give him 10 carries, sometimes you get about 10 yards. We don't have a grind-away offense right now. If the running game isn't working we will pass. Next year we won't have a great QB or great WR and that will be a chance to give him the kind of workload he needs to flourish. And we hope he can have a healthy season. Another thing is, behind Porter is 83 OVR freshman Terry Jackson, who has good speed and acceleration, as well as a good carry rating, as the backup. We like the combination of Porter and Jackson better than a combination starting with Bailey, for this year and this offense.

Question 4: What are the changes you need to make with your team, or even strategy/coaching to bring a BCS title to Virginia?

Honestly I don't think I'm going to change much. more practice time couldn't hurt, and maybe a more defined game plan going in. Maybe set up some audibles. I feel I'm playing well and not "choking" or anything like that. I have to give credit to the opponent when they take it from me, no excuses.

4-3, again. We might see a change soon. The lame thing about this is the majority of the teams we play line up in 3 and 4-wide packages all game so we rarely even have these guys on the field. And there just don't seem to be that many Nickle and Dime plays compared to the 4-3 plays which is half the playbook. More and more we're running them (4-3 base guys) out there against 3-wides and you will see that even more this year, as we have extremely fast OLB who play solid in zone coverage. We can't be dictated to as much this season as we have been in the past. We will match up as appropriate in passing situations and when we think it's the best fit but we aren't going to do so blindly. Our starting 11 is too solid.

Question 6: What's the biggest strength of Virginia on defense, and vice versa?

Most people misunderstood what I meant by this question as I guess my wording was off, I meant it like what's the biggest strength and weakness on D? Well our greatest strength is probably the front 7 where we have a good mix of youth, experience, and physical ability. We're excited about LOLB Tony Hines, a redshirt freshman with great speed and acceleration, lined up against the Aforementioned Mike Baker and Zach Thompson. Our LB corps isn't the biggest but they run, are aggressive getting off blocks and every one of them can hammer you. MLB Lee Jackson (6'4, 240, 85 OVR Soph) will be the primary backup at all three spots and may even see some starting action if Hines (1 tackle first game) isn't living up to his billing.

We have now signed two players. T Seth King (in state) is a 6'7, 313 lb. tackle rated 78 OVR by our scouts. He will be a nice redshirt and hold project who could end up starting 2 years. The #20 ATH, Zach Veney, committed this week. Veney is a triple threat offensive player who could line up anywhere on the field. Right now we're leaning toward making him a QB (87 THP, 82 THA) but he could end up at WR as well (87 SPD, 89 ACC, 81 CTH, 80 SPC, 78 RTE, 76 CIT). He's an excellent ball carrier as well so we're excited about him. You could see some Ryan Tannehill shit with this one, we need WR that bad. And that brings me to my primary focus. WR is what we need. There aren't a lot, this is a crappy class in my estimation and users are already humping the legs of every good ATH WR in the class besides Veney so we're pretty fucked, we'll get what we can though.

Like Twister18 said there's probably no real dread but I do always find a bigtime challenge against Twister. In the past he typically slows the game down, calls some crazy shit on D, and I find it a challenge to maintain concentration. Now he's mixing in about 5 hail mary's a game to these big-ass WR. Sad thing is a lot of them get answered.

It used to be smls but his secondary has been awful against us for a couple years running. Now I'd have to say Twister. He just calls plays that keep me off guard, not sure how.

Mogriff and the BC Eagles, for sure. The stuff I do just doesn't confuse him. I think I have a game plan for him this year, but we'll see.

I'm the type that will either fight for a recruit prepared to lose the battle and have no problem with that... or for the most part will go after players I am certain I will get. What I hate is fucking TWISTER and his insta-signing 4-5 guys each season, usually two of them that are in my Top 5. I hate not being able to fight at least.

Good questions Mo.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  20. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

[​IMG]

B-Back Marques Jenkins- Has turned out to be the best B-Back to come through our system. He is a 250 lb work horse that has the shiftiness of a hb. He is the main cog in this offense. Jenkins has the ability to be an excellent pass catcher and we are looking at using him more in the passing game this year.

A-Back Mikal Roberts- Mikal has been a starter since day one 4 years ago. He is literally lightning in a bottle. He has the ability to go the distance at any time. He also has been valuable in the passing game as he presents a huge mis-match for opposing linebackers. If we catch the defense in man coverage with a LB on him we are going to look more at passing his way this year.

A-Back John Little- John doesn't get as many touches as Roberts but has made the most of the ones he has gotten. He like Roberts would be starters on any team in the nation and rush for 1500 yards. He is just a step slower than Roberts but also can take the ball to the house at any time. He is a great short yardage option as well. He also presents a huge mis-match for linebackers in the passing game and is a good pass catcher.

Question 2: The media focus every year is on the system the Georgia Tech squad is running. Any changes to that system this year, even if minor ones?

Not really. We will continue run our offense. We do have the ability to make teams pay for their constant blitzing and shifting of players this year. We have two studs on the outside that will allow us to go over the top of defenses this year.

Question 3: You nabbed one of the best players in the country last year in Kelvin Heffner. Critics might say he'll rot in an offense like this, while you can obviously point to Calvin Johnson and laugh. Is there any way to get Heffner the touches that he needs over his career within the framework of the triple option? Is he redshirting this year or right into the mix?

He is playing right away. He gets whatever he gets. He knows that. Critics are typically clueless about our offense. You don't have to catch a ton of balls to be effective. Our returning leading WR had over 800 yards last year and averaged 24 yards a catch.

Question 4: You have a lot of good youngsters on the O-line but overall is this a step down from last year? Did that play a role in the struggles of the offense in the first game, and is it something you're concerned about going forward this year?

This line is going to be fine. They do a better job of pass blocking than any other line we've had. There were a few different factors that lead to the low ouput week one but those have been corrected.

We have a bunch of guys returning so we are sticking with the 4-3. We have a couple of stout DTs that we want on the field at the same time.

Question 6: What's the biggest strength of GT on defense, and vice versa?

Our D-line is the strength of the defense. The are very talented and do a great job of winning the line of scrimmage. Our secondary is great on paper but has been like that the last two years and have let us down. Hopefully this group plays up to their potential.

We have no real needs so we are just looking to add some depth and sure up some spots for the future.

We think we can win any game we play. We dread no one.

Virginia

Virginia has been the most consistent. I've been able to smother his run game but that damn Williams kid has pissed me off the past two seasons. We are looking to take him out this season :)

I guess South Carolina. We usually aren't in battles with each other and the few we have been in, we've probably split. I typically win most of my user battles.

Thank God this is over.

• Like Like x 2