Adding an 8 team playoff to NCAA offline dynasties.

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by jello1717, Feb 11, 2014.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I'm not sure how many of you have read on OS about the modding possibilities available in NCAA offline dynasties (it won't work for ODs) but if you're interested, you should check it out. You can do all kinds of roster mods, but you can also do stuff like change bowl names, edit pretty much any of the historical info for teams, and you can add a playoff as well.

At first I added a 4 team playoff, but then decided that I LOVE the idea of an 8 team playoff with the 5 BCS conference champs getting a bid, the highest ranked mid major getting a bid, and then the 2 highest non-conference winners getting at large bids. This adds so much to the game that I can't even really put it into words.

Here's the thread on OS:
    http://www.operationsports.com/foru...our-team-playoff-guide-plus-more-modding.html

The OP tells you how to grab a save file and mod it.

Here's the post on how to create a 4 team playoff, but this is an early attempt which doesn't keep the stats/record from the 1st round. This has been fixed later in the thread.
    http://www.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2045734182&postcount=2

Here's the post telling you how to do a 4 team playoff and keep the stats/record from the 1st round:
    http://www.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2045903176&postcount=303

You can use the same technique to expand this to an 8 team playoff (you could also do a 16 team playoff if you wanted, but that seems like overkill to me). Technically you could do as large of a playoff as you wanted as long as the # of games in the playoff was no bigger than the # of bowl games.

Here's my post where I described how I successfully created an 8 team playoff:
    http://www.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2045943765&postcount=332

• Like Like x 2
  2. Masler

Masler Moderator

You have my attention lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. jello1717

Yeah, it added so much to my dynasty when I started adding a playoffs. My setup is with the 5 "BCS" conference champs getting an automatic bid, the highest ranked mid major gets an at large, and the next 2 highest ranked teams get a bid.

With the CCGs it's like having a 4 round playoff. There are only 2 or 3 downsides that I can see.
    1. Some teams could play 16 games which'll make it a lot easier to break team and NCAA records. It'd suck to have Barry Sanders' yardage record (which he did in 11 games) broken by some dude that got to play in 16 games.
    2. The quarters and semis are both "bowl games" so teams could get credit for multiple bowl games per year (which is updated on the team history page). I don't care about this.
    3. 8 teams will lose bowl bids. These'll be the worst bowl eligible teams. I don't care about this either.

4. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Jello, thank you for this find. Very, very f'n cool.

I'm thinking aloud here a bit, but I noticed throughout the entire thread people were having an issue being unable to 'delete' bowl games. My first thought when someone had proposed it was "Sweet, I can have ONLY a tournament." I thought, 34 bowls(I think,) and 32 teams. So 16 bowls used for the first round, 8 bowls for the next round, 4 bowls for the next round, 2 bowls and then the Championship. That'd put me at 33, including NCG, bowls used.

Although it'd be a lot of work, in the little work you've done so far on this jello1717, is it possible you think?

5. jello1717

It's definitely possible, and would be a lot of work. Essentially you'd do it like this:
    Save1: Rearrange all the bowls to set up your round of 32 and put "placeholder teams" in the other 15 bowls (including BCS NCG).
    Supersim (or play) all 16 1st round games and save again.

Save2: Swap out winners of round 1 with placeholder teams in round 2. This means moving the winners to the round 2 bowls AND moving the placeholders back to replace the winning teams from round 1. When you're still playing/supersimming games, you can't have teams setup in more than 1 bowl.
    Supersim the sweet 16 and save.

Save3: Swap out winners of round 2 with placeholder teams in round 3.
    Supersim elite 8 and save.

Save4: Swap out final four with placeholders in round 4.
    Supersim the elite 4 and save.

Save5: Swap out the 2 finalists with placeholders in BCS NCG.
    Supersim the NCG.
    Advance to "end of bowl season" and save.

Save 6: Now that you're done, if you want all of the records and stats to save from all of the playoff games there's 1 more step. Go back in and replace all of the placeholders that you moved back to an earlier round (ones that replaced the winning teams from that round) with the winning team. (IE. let's say that Alabama won the whole thing, then you'd go back to the final 4 and put Bama back in the game they won, then back to the elite 8 and put Bama in the game they won, etc). For the final save you can (and must if you want the stats to be counted) have the same team showing up in multiple bowls.

EDIT:
    As for being able to delete bowls, I don't know if that's possible (I haven't tried) but I don't think anyone has gotten it to work). In your example it sounds like you're gonna use 33 of 34 bowls so there's 1 leftover. If you can't remove it you just have 2 shitty teams play in the 1 bowl that doesn't matter.

6. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

That looks like a ton of work.....but so worth it.

7. jello1717

4 teams wasn't a problem.
    8 teams is definitely doable and that's what I'm gonna do from now on (I'm in 2030 now so obviously I plan on playing this for a while).
    32 sounds like a TON of work.

The worst part about it is that for every bowl that you change you need to basically make 6 edits. That's 3 edits per team (1 in "schedule" and 2 in "team schedules") * 2 teams per bowl.

8. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Well shit, that's a bunch of work. Once I actually try and get the program, I can take a look around. From the video, the program part looks simple enough to change things with.

9. fantasyboi

fantasyboi If Tebow isn't Jesus, I'm the Pope

how do you even get bruteforce? my cpu got spammed like no ones business!

10. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
  11. jello1717

Is that for PS3 or something? I don't use anything called bruteforce.

12. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

??

13. fantasyboi

Ya it's ps3. R u xbox? I got it installed now. Once u get to the bowls and save the copy do the bowl matchups show on the file once u put the drive in the CPU?

14. fantasyboi

jello1717 i have everything ready and hit load and it freezes everytime...did u have this issue?

15. jello1717

I think I might've had it freeze once before, but instead what I think happened is that the file was called a corrupted file instead.

This is all based on my experience with a 360.

The issue I had was that I copied the wrong file to my xbox. There are 2 files created:

upload_2014-2-26_15-12-19.png

You can see them by looking at all file types. The "Data Base File" is created by the editor and is used by the editor. The "file" file is what you copy from your xbox and it's what's created when you click "save" in the editor. 1 time I accidentally copied the DB file back to my xbox and it was listed as corrupted when I tried to load it. Maybe the PS3 handles this differently and freezes. In short, make sure you're copying the correct file back to your PS3.

Also I'm sure that if you screwed up your editing that all kinds of problems could happen and I'm sure a freeze could occur. If you did something like put teams in too many bowls or had 2 teams in a bowl in the "schedules tab" but 2 different teams in the same bowl in the "team schedules" tab I'm sure it'd screw something up.

16. fantasyboi

I originally tried to convert the SFO file to a notepad. could that b the reason?

17. jello1717

Dunno since I don't use SFO files on the xbox. If it's a text file it shouldn't matter.

18. fantasyboi

oh ok...well im gonna try now....sux cuz dont even have that all files choice on my cpu for some reason

19. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Have you read the entire thread at OS? There was a lot of troubleshooting going on through there.

20. fantasyboi

yes sir. its been a long 2 day process but seems to be a lost cause which is a def bummer. thanx for the help guys. it seems as tho xbox is way easier to do this

21. fantasyboi

jello1717 Ok so I actually got it to go into the franchise BUT the bowl names dont change like urs....did u have to copy and paste any certain files? sorry for all the questions

22. jello1717

• I saved the dynasty file on my thumb drive.
    • I extracted it to my PC and opened it in the editor.
    • I did everything in this video:
    • I saved the edited file on my thumb drive.
    • I stuck the thumb drive back in my 360 and opened the save file.

23. fantasyboi

ohhh ok i didnt know u did that video...i think PS3 is just 100x harder then xbox from what ive seen. I couldnt figure out how to convert the excel sheet to get it on the game with the changes. quite a headache

24. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

jello1717

Hey bud, I've finally gotten a thumb drive to be able to mess around with this stuff.

First thing I did was just take an abandoned Dynasty and looked around, there is a lot of stuff here! Wow! So many random numbers and categories that I won't touch because I have no idea what I'm messing with.

Changed a bowl name, and dicked around with the recruit edits, it worked perfectly. No error at all. *fingers crossed*

I do have a question for you since you've done it at least once or twice.

So I've mapped out all of the conference bowl-bids I want to edit. I'm doing a relegation and promotion type setup, so four conferences have significantly more bowl bids than the remaining six. I want the stats to stick.

So, I'm settling on an eight team playoff, with different 'rules,' but basically what you're doing.

In PocketScout's directions for a 4-team playoff, he mentioned making two saves. Are their three saves necessary for an 8-team playoff? QUARTERFINALS/SEMIS/ORIGINAL

Let's say I decide to place the playoffs in 4 small-time bowls(renamed of course.) Those eight teams, amongst the other bowls, I need to replace with the eight teams I've removed from the 4 small-time bowls, correct? ex : Replacing NIU-EMU-CMU-WMU-Toledo-North Texas-Idaho-Rutgers with UT-OU-FSU-Bama-USC-Washington-Syracuse-OSU. The way I understand it, OU can't be listed in 'Eastern Quarterfinal' AND 'Orange Bowl' when I load up to sim these games, right?! Do I need to adjust the bowl/schedule/team schedule for all 16 teams involved?

Once I've simulated that, and bring up the same file post-sim(or a new one? Not sure,) I leave the losers in those Quarterfinal bowls, replacing 4 spots with 4 of the prior teams I moved OUT of their original spot in that bowl?

It's so easy but it's so easy to mess up, I'm just crossing my T's here. When I simulate the End of Bowl Season, and let's say in the 'Eastern Quarterfinal' it'll show FSU-Toledo (despite that game being played already,) it won't cost Toledo a bowl-loss, will it? Because before going to End of Season I'll replace Toledo with hypothetically Alabama(so the stats remain) who won that game and won it all or lost in the next round, doesn't matter?

Thanks for taking the time, and introducing us to this in the first place. Awesome shit.

25. jello1717

If you wanted to you could do this with only 1 save but it'd be extremely prudent to have a backup(s) in case you screw something up. Being the cautious guy that I am I use these saves:
    "coach" on my HDD. This is my main save and I overwrite this every time I have a new edited file.
    "backup" in the cloud. I rewrite this when I enter bowl season before making any edits. That way if I screw something up anywhere I can always go back to before I edited anything for this season. As a sidenote, the cloud is an awesome place to keep old save files. Ever since I've played NCAA I've always kept a save at the end of every bowl season so that I can go back any time I want. Because of this in '14 I have about 35 end of season saves and this would really bog down my HDD. Having them in the cloud keeps them out of the way.
    "quarters" where I make edits for quarter finals.
    "semis" and "finals" as well.
    "post NCG" where I advance to the end of bowl season and then edit all of the winners back to the playoff games they won.

I keep all of those so I can go back to any stage if I screw up the current one. IE. If I corrupt my "finals" file I won't have to go back to the beginning and can restart from the "semis" if that one was fine. That being said, I've never had a corrupted file or screwed anything up and haven't had to use any backups, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

If you don't want many saves you should be able to just have 2 files, 1 from you last clean save/edit and 1 that you're currently editing.

Yes.

I renamed 4 lesser bowls to "<Directional> Regional Playoff." I then changed the bowl tie-ins for those bowls. What I did was to look at all bowl tie-ins by conference using the editor and made a list of all of the bowl bids:
    ACC: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,(9)
    BIG TEN: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    BIG 12: 1,2,3,4,5,6,(7)
    AMER: 1,2,3,4
    CUSA: 1,2,3,4,(5),(6)
    MAC: 1,2,3,4
    MWC: 1,2,3,4,(5)
    PAC12: 1,,2,3,4,5,6
    SEC: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,(9),(10),(11)
    SUN BELT: 1,2
    Where that list is simply the # of teams from each conference that gets a bid (IE. the top 9 ACC teams get bids while the top 2 Sun Belt teams do). For my setup, 8 teams would lose bowl bids (for the 8 regional playoff teams) so the teams above with "()" around them lost a bid (IE. the 9th ACC team lost a bid so only 8 ACC teams get bids now).
    I then assigned the 8 lost bids to the regional playoff games since those 8 teams won't get to play in a bowl. IE: The East Regional has ACC #9 v. SEC #11
    upload_2014-2-28_10-43-14.png

As it turns out, with my setup, only 6 teams lose bids. Of the 8 playoff teams, all of them have always gotten the "old" BCS bowl bids anyway (#1 vs. #2 in the BCSNCG and 5 conference winners are guaranteed bowl bids since I have the old BCS tie-ins, minus the American bid). The way it works out is that there are 2 teams with BCS bids that don't make the playoff who get to play in 1 of the 2 remaining BCS games (I rotate between 2 BCS bowls for the semifinals) and then I reward the best 2 teams from 8 teams that lost their bids and those 2 teams play in the other leftover BCS game.

Anywho, yes you need to change the schedules for all 16 teams. For me I change 18 teams, but 4 of those (the 4 in the 2 leftover BCS games) I only have to change once. Also, keep in mind that for ANY teams that you move around, you'll have to play or supersim those games. You won't be able to simply sim those games.

Here's my latest bracket (my 3rd time with an 8 team playoff):
    upload_2014-2-28_10-34-27.png

And here's what I edited for this bracket:
    upload_2014-2-28_10-49-8.png

BEFORE is how the bowls were setup with my default bowl tie-ins. The 4 regional playoffs have the 8 "worst" teams to get bids. Of those 8, the 6 worst lost their bowl bids (highlighted in yellow). The bold teams are the playoff teams. You can see that (for me) all 8 of them were in the 5 "BCS bowls" already.

QUARTERFINALS shows my 1st edits. I moved the 8 playoff teams to the regional playoffs (which means that I had to edit the "team schedules" and "schedules" for all 8 of those teams. You can also see that I had to move the 6 teams that lose their bids (which were originally in the regional playoffs) to the NCG and the 2 BCS bowls used for the semifinals. Those are all just placeholders. I also populated the 2 BCS bowls that I won't use with Bama/Baylor, who originally received BCS bids, and the 2 best "worst" teams in Rice/UCF. (I may eventually find a way to have those teams end up in a lesser bowl and to have the next 2 best teams get the last BCS bowl bid, but it hasn't bothered me enough to bother with it yet) Yes, I had to change the schedules for all of these teams as well.

In SEMIFINALS I moved the winners of the regionals to the Sugar/Orange Bowls (which I used this season for the Semis) and I then moved the 4 placeholders (AF/USM/KSU/LA Tech) back to replace the winning teams. I only do this because that's what the people who came before me say to do. I've never tested it to see what happens if I were to leave the winners in the regionals AND put them in the BCS semifinals at the same time. It'd be less work if I could do that, but so far I'm just going on faith that it won't work.
    The 4 "DONE"s simply mean that I already supersimmed those games. I remind myself of that because if I forget to supersim them, then those games will never get played.

In the last column I put the semifinal winners into the BCSNCG and move the placeholders (UNC/UH) back to replace the winners in the semifinals. Yes, I have to change the 2 separate schedules for ND/Clemson AND UNC/UH.

Then, once it's finished, I advance to "end of bowl season." DON'T go to "end of season." Then I edit the file 1 last time to put the winners back in every game they won. IE. ND would replace UNC in game #38, AND ND would replace KSU in game #16.

Correct. I got ahead of myself and went over that in the last section.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 1