Advance Issues - Need Ideas

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Dude, Jan 15, 2012.

1. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

Guys,

Seems like issues with advances have caused quite a bit of drama over the past several months. I'm trying to figure out a way to solve them. I have an idea, but I want to float it by the group and get your thoughts. My goal is to get a solid schedule in place that never wavers or moves - but also never leaves anyone behind. So I thought this might work:
    • 72 hour advance no matter what.
    • 11pm advances each time.
    • Off-season advances one stage per day until the first weekend day (Sat or Sun) and then moves completely on that day (likely in the evening).
    • All of this is set in stone - no slower, and no faster.
    If we have that, everyone is on the same page all the time. I think that's important. But there's a step 2. Here it is:
    • Everyone will be encouraged to have a substitute for times when they are away.
    • Subs may recruit and play CPU games.
    • Subs may not play user games (user will go on auto if away, but sub may recruit).
    • Those who do not have a sub will be responsible for being on time each and every week. No exceptions.
    • There will be no penalty for not having a sub, only the resulting sim should a user without a sub be away. I will not require guys to give out login info, but I won't hold the league up either.
    • Commish may call a hold for the entire league during holiday times and when large numbers of people are expected to be away.
    So basically, the idea is stability. Everyone knows exactly when everything is going to happen, and it never changes. This is going forward, of course. It's not in effect now or anything. I am simply asking if we might want it to be. I think the frustration comes from any and all "WTF" moments related to advance schedules and sims. If it's clear and consistent, I don't think we'll have any issues.
    3 day advance, 11pm each time, get a sub or get a sim. That's the idea.
    Any thoughts on this?

2. Goose

Goose Walk On

I really like it.

3. The Dude

Today would be a perfect example. Even though we're done, we go at 11, for no other reason than to keep it consistent. If we advance in the afternoon, guys wonder is the NEXT advance will happen in the afternoon, and so on. At 11, no matter what, means no questions, and no misunderstandings. At least that's the idea.

4. Loaf31

Loaf31 Walk On

I like it as well.....

I've always had this question though. What happens if 2 users cannot get their USER v. USER game in? I never knew this answer since I joined the league

5. bdub

bdub Walk On

To wait to advance when we are all ready to advance doesn't make much sense to me. I mean if were done were done right?

6. Loaf31

Loaf31 Walk On

bdub

good point..... What if we set a 72 hr time limit and post it always for 11PM, but if we finish earlier, advance it, but keep the 11pm time frame.....

Ex:

Week 1 opens on Mon with a deadline of Weds at 11PM but we finish our games by Tuesday morning.....
    Week 2 opens Tues with a deadline of Thurs at 11PM and so on.

Thoughts? The Dude

7. bdub

bdub Walk On

Sounds like a good plan to me.

8. The Dude

We either let the more available guy play the CPU, or it's a straight sim if that can't be determined.

That's why we really should use the Game Scheduling forum more - makes it clear who holds things up and such, and it gives me a place to weigh in and helps solves issues and such.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tbishop82

tbishop82 Walk On

I agree with bdub and Loaf31 If everyone is done advance it, but the future advance time will be 11pm.

10. The Dude

I could possibly see moving ahead on advance day only - but moving any more than a day in advance and we risk someone who's been away a couple of days not knowing when an advance is happening, because we went and moved it up. Also, one of the users in this thread bdub never uses all his recruiting time, so I never know if everyone is actually done. I'm pretty sure, but not positive. At least the hard schedule leaves no room for mistakes, if you know what I mean. I've seen guys lose recruiting time by recruiting after the game. A deadline that never moves is the only surefire way to eliminate mistakes.

That said, if everyone is green, I could see an advance that does not ever affect the next expected advance date, like and afternoon advance instead of an evening one - as long as everyone knows that 3 days and then 11 pm are carved in stone as deadlines.

11. bdub

bdub Walk On

Sorry I can't use all my time, used just about all my scholarships. For the rest of the year I won't be using all my time.

In regard to people being away and not knowing when we advanced. If you can't check these forums on a daily basis you shouldn't be here.

12. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

bdub

Just take a minute and set ready to advance.

13. bdub

bdub Walk On

Yeah I usually do, just forget sometimes.

14. The Dude

I don't disagree, but history has shown us that those who end up "victims" of of an unexpected advance often don't feel the same way. Ugliness ensues, people quit, etc. Happens here and there, and often enough that maybe we might want to try to prevent it.

And mmullen8 - why you trollin' all the time? I see you every time I punch out a post. Just join if you wanna join already :)

15. bdub

bdub Walk On

True but you have to draw the line somewhere.

16. The Dude

I know. Hard to make the right call sometimes.

17. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

just enjoying the new direction thats all...youve got the right idea

18. The Dude

So which team do you want?

(How's that for subtle)

19. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Ohio State is the only one for me :)

20. Goose

Goose Walk On

They're yours if you want in.

21. The Dude

And tell Mormon that I'll rename any roster he wants so it's at least a third Samoan :)

• Like Like x 1