Advanced to week 14

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

*Note: Fosh is out of town until late tomorrow and asked to be simmed

Welcome to Week 14!

=============== #24 Cal Golden Bears (7-4) ===============
    Last week, Cal won 26-17 against Oregon State (2-8).
    This week, the Golden Bears will host #18 Stanford (8-3).
    In recruiting news, the following Cal targets have announced their decisions:
    - (***) P Chris Ford has committed to Alabama

=============== Cincinnati Bearcats (6-5) ===============
    Last week, Cincinnati won 42-10 against West Virginia (4-5).
    This week, the Bearcats will host Ohio (8-3).
    In recruiting news, the following Cincinnati targets have announced their decisions:
    - (***) WR Kurt Davis has committed to Cincinnati
    - (**) TE Brandon Ervin has committed to Cincinnati
    - (***) C Robbie Dahl has committed to Cincinnati
    - (***) DT Luke Crenshaw has committed to Cincinnati

=============== Illinois Fighting Illini (4-7) ===============
    Last week, Illinois won 40-10 against Northwestern (4-7).
    This week, the Fighting Illini travel to Tampa to face the #13 USF Bulls (9-2).

=============== Michigan State Spartans (4-6) ===============
    Last week, Michigan State lost 41-28 against Penn State (8-3).
    This week, the Spartans travel to Buffalo to face the Buffalo Bulls (7-4).
    In recruiting news, the following Michigan State targets have announced their decisions:
    - (***) CB Doug Love has committed to Ohio State
    - (***) CB Andy Brock has committed to Western Michigan
    - (***) LT Antonio Wade has committed to Michigan State

=============== #8 Pittsburgh Panthers (9-2) ===============
    Last week, Pittsburgh won 52-7 against Connecticut (2-8).
    This week, the Panthers travel to South Bend to face the Notre Dame Fighting Irish (5-5).
    In recruiting news, the following Pittsburgh targets have announced their decisions:
    - (***) LT Craig Frederick has committed to Pittsburgh
    - (***) CB Patrick White has committed to Pittsburgh
    - (****) CB Ryan Barr has committed to Pittsburgh

=============== #9 Purdue Boilermakers (10-2) ===============
    Last week, Purdue won 42-20 against Indiana (2-9).
    This week, the Boilermakers are idle.

=============== #2 Rutgers Scarlet Knights (11-0) ===============
    Last week, Rutgers won 52-13 against Louisville (4-7).
    This week, the Scarlet Knights travel to Blacksburg to face the #3 Virginia Tech Hokies (10-0).
    In recruiting news, the following Rutgers targets have announced their decisions:
    - (***) LT Craig Frederick has committed to Pittsburgh
    - (***) CB Patrick White has committed to Pittsburgh
    - (***) LE Travis Penn has committed to Rutgers
    - (****) HB Martin Thomas has committed to Rutgers

=============== #18 Stanford Cardinal (8-3) ===============
    Last week, Stanford won 30-6 against Notre Dame (5-5).
    This week, the Cardinal travel to Berkeley to face the #24 Cal Golden Bears (7-4).
    In recruiting news, the following Stanford targets have announced their decisions:
    - (****) WR Michael Talley has committed to Stanford
    - (***) TE Justin Townsend has committed to Miami

=============== #7 UCLA Bruins (10-1) ===============
    Last week, UCLA lost 31-7 against Washington (10-1).
    This week, the Bruins will host #20 USC (9-2).

=============== #13 USF Bulls (9-2) ===============
    Last week, USF won 51-3 against Syracuse (1-10).
    This week, the Bulls will host Illinois (4-7).
    In recruiting news, the following USF targets have announced their decisions:
    - (***) WR Kurt Davis has committed to Cincinnati

=============== #4 Washington Huskies (10-1) ===============
    Last week, Washington won 31-7 against UCLA (10-1).
    This week, the Huskies travel to Pullman to face the Washington State Cougars (2-9).
    In recruiting news, the following Washington targets have announced their decisions:
    - (***) SS Antoine Graham has committed to Washington
    - (***) CB Kevin Horton has committed to Washington

=============== #1 Wisconsin Badgers (11-0) ===============
    Last week, Wisconsin won 42-10 against Minnesota (6-5).
    This week, the Badgers will host #11 Central Michigan (11-0).
    In recruiting news, the following Wisconsin targets have announced their decisions:
    - (***) HB Mike Smiley has committed to Wisconsin
    - (***) CB Dan Rodriguez has committed to Troy

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

seems feasible to wait for fosh...he is playing Stanford... I am wrong?

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

last weeks' game was simmed... lol

4. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i count 6 players i've taken directly from Rutgers... [​IMG]

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

yeah sorry it was late and I got a nasty cold....not thinking straight.

6. Zetroc

Zetroc Uncle Rico Inspired

i can barely count 6 players... [​IMG]

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

recruiting is a bitch in this years edition. Few players have been successful year after year. I had 2-3 good classes in the beginning and now I am struggling. Purdue has struggled but now has the #1 class in the nation. It seems like a cyclical thing. UCLA is probably the only team that has had good classes almost every year. IMO if you sign 2 impact players per class you
    are doing well.

this year my class is meh but when I look at the MLB and CB I signed I am happy. They can anchor down the defense for a while. I am kinda happy I signed the #1 kicker and #2 punter...that should help. I hate having to go for it on 4th down from the 30 yard line.

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

[​IMG]
    CB Wes Baker - 6'1" 205, Perryton, TX - :4stars:
    Washington Huskies
    Senior Ratings: 86 OVR, 90 SPD, 90 ACC, 84 AGI, 84 AWR, 96 MCV, 95 ZCV, 90 PRS, 73 CTH, 75 PRC, 84 PUR, 90 JMP, 80 HPW

Career Stats
    [​IMG]

Baker was a guy we recruited in 2011-2012 and weren't overly enamored with his abilities. I don't remember exactly what his ratings were but i think he was in the 73 OVR range. He has never been overly impressive with regards to ratings, only the stats he has put up and the big-time moments in which he has made his biggest plays. I only wonder what would have happened if he had been starting as a freshman. He played only in the slot and made 1 INT on the season. After that he averaged over 8 INT per year!

You could complete passes against him. He was no Revis. But when it came to him he would usually pick it off. And his coverage ability increased exponentially the more important the game/moment. He's not done... We still have the Rose Bowl (probably against Fresno State) in which he'll hopefully pad his stats.

Career Highlights:

*A game-ending interception of jfosh and Cal in the end zone was probably the greatest moment of his career. Fosh was driving on me, was within a touchdown, had a lot of momentum, and then in the closing seconds, goes to throw it to his best WR and Baker was just ALL OVER HIM and intercepted the pass cleanly to end the ball game.

*Two interceptions in a comeback win against STanford and bringbackjimmy. In a game in which we were down 24-7, an interception by Baker was a key turning point that led us to a comeback victory. He then intercepts another pass later in the game for the nail in the coffin.

*Another game-turning interception against Jfosh this season when we were down big and then eventually shut him out in the second half (including a Baker INT) to come back for the win.

*Interception against UCLA (Bruce80) in a 31-7 rout where nothing went right for UCLA. The INT by Baker really sealed the ball game.

*After already having 11 INT on the season in his senior year, he gets two more against lowly Washington State, both returned for touchdowns, to really nail down his legacy and (assuming) the Thorpe award.

*Partly due to his incredible play, we went 11-1 in 2015 (senior year) with our only loss coming to eventual BCS championship game participant Rutgers... A three-point loss in which Baker did make an interception. In all four of our (vs user) games in his senior season, he came away with at least one pick.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Baker is a freak....I am jealous. I have never had a CB or anyone in the secondary that can intercept balls. My new CB Mason has like 20 knockdowns but only 1 lonely int.

Helli you are like Mogriff in some regard. You can win with almost any talent.

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Baker is pretty damn good. He has a knack of jumping routes too.

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Mo, it was a good job ignoring his rating and putting him on your all-Tradition team awhile back... :thumbsup:

12. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

What the hell is that supposed to mean, are you saying I suck at recruiting like Mo does? LMAO...

In all seriousness i do like the challenge of piecing together a winning game plan without the best talent in the league. I WANT and try to get the best talent in the league but that isn't going to happen as long as Rusty and Fosh are in the league I don't think.

I think we're doing better recruiting wise. For instance I believe this will be the last year we're a B OVR team. We'll be B+ or better from here on out, IMO. We'll see what happens there. But yeah regardless of how good your team is on paper, you have to look at who plays best on the field, that is one lesson to take away from a Baker type guy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zetroc

Zetroc Uncle Rico Inspired

I agree, though I've barely scratched the surface of the game, the programmers have made it into a true coaching/recruiting challenge where just can't spend a bunch of hours on a kid. You really have to pay attention to his likes and dislikes. You really have to gameplan also. My true challenge is to quit turning the damn ball over!!!