AFC Conference Championship

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by TRudethaDude, Dec 1, 2009.

1. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

Jul 8, 2009
    AFC Conference Championship

I'd like to start by saying hats off to IRod for one hell of a game played.

Nashville, Tennessee 10:14pm est.

In what will no doubt go down as one of the greatest games of alltime we had the traveling Miami Dolphins come and give Tennessee everything they could handle. The first quarter started with the Titans winning the toss and going 3 n out. Miami quickly answered as Ronnie Brown took a run around the right side 46 yards for a TD! 3 minutes into the game and the Dolphins already had the lead. Kerry Collins struggled early and often to get the Titans offense moving. In fact the Dolphins actually missed two 40+ yard FG's in the second quarter that the Titans couldn't take advantage of. The lone bright spot for the Titans in the first half was the do it all back Chris Johnson. He broke a 47 yard run down to the 1 yard line with about 5 minutes left in the first half. The only problem was he got hurt until the 3rd quarter in the process. Add three stops by the Dolphin D and the Titans settled for a FG. At halftime we had the Dolphins up 7-3 and commanding the clock. By the time this game ended the Dolphins had the ball for 20:21 compared to the Titans 11:39

2nd half================================

Coach Jeff Fisher had to pull the plug on the Kerry Collins project. After two user sacks and a few hurries from the DT of Miami coupled with a 1-6 for -3 yard performance the Titans brought in Vince Young for a spark. Spark this team he indeed did. Even though again the Titans wouldn't have the ball much they made every possesion count. Playing nothing but tough defense on both sides, you could tell something was about to give. VY drops back and avoids the rush up the middle by rolling out right and hitting a wide open J.Cook jr. who would run over a would be defender and take it to the house! 62 yards and an extra point later the Titans had their first lead and there was only about 1 minute left in the third quarter.

4th qtr.(the good part)

The fourth quarter again was a struggle for both. Stop after stop, conversion after conversion landed us 10-7 still with only about 4 minutes left in the game. The Titans defense had knocked out Chad Pennington and Pat White the rookie from West Virginia was going to have to lead this team. Lead them he too did as the Dolphins wound up punching the ball into the endzone with 2:30 left in the game. Miami now had the lead 14-10. Vince Young had his work cut out for him. As a team Tennessee finished with 29 plays from scrimmage. 14 of those were runs with Chris Johnson. Johnson finished the game with 134 yards and 1 td and for a couple plays on the final drive of the game he was a factor. Chipping away at the defense play after play the Titans refused to be upset and denied their chance at playing in the Superbowl. On a second down from just out of the redzone Vince Young hit his old college teammate Bo Scaife in the endzone with :52 secs left in the game and it was 17-14 Tennessee! Miami refused to give in to the Titans yet again. Pat White tried play after play to make the Titans life a living hell. In fact with :30 secs left in the game the Dolphins had moved the ball down to the Tennessee 2 yardline and took a timeout with 1st and goal. The Dolphins kept throwing to the flats with their running backs and thats all the Titans could thing about when Miami got to the goalline. Tennessee decided to rush only two players and spy the qb and it paid off as the Dolphins tried to hit a quick pass to their slot receiver and MICHAEL GRIFFIN came away with the Superbowl saving interception in the back of the endzone. Final score in this one Tennessee 17 Miami 14

Player of the game is going to Vince Young for coming in and changing the whole complexion of the game. He only had about 3 to 4 drives, but they don't get anymore clutch then the couple he led us on to score.
  2. I-ROD

I-ROD Walk On

Jul 27, 2009
    Good game Tru!

I had a game plan set but losing Pennington after the 2nd qtr hurt my chances and 2 missed FG's didn't help me! I thought about going for it but Carpenter has hit 55 yard FG in the reg season so I was shocked he missed both which I know were the game changers.

I can't believe I threw that pick with 23 ticks left at your 2 yard line but you managed to stay in the game and then make the clutch play on a busted coverage which got the lead for ya.

Broken pointer finger on my right hand and all I was in it but no laxing next season cause I'll be right back in the playoff hunt.

GL in the MEGA Bowl!