AFC North Blog

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Kasper, Aug 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

All AFC North related content will go here.

2. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG] Cleveland Browns 2014 Roster Preview

We are going to take a look at the 2014 Browns roster and make some predictions on who might win certain jobs. Sure there is all the talk of Manziel vs Hoyer-- but there are a lot of other storylines going on within this Browns roster.

Offense

QB
    1) Brian Hoyer vs Manziel
    3) Connor Shaw vs Tyler Thigpen

I numbered it the way I did to signify what positions are up for grabs- obviously who ever doesn't win the starting QB job will be the backup. Starting with the starting spot (haha), this will be a tough one. The fans are clamoring for Manziel (most of them), but Hoyer was playing well last year before getting hurt. Don't be surprised if Hoyer starts week 1, but Manziel will be right on his heels if he doesn't win the job. Shaw vs Thigpen is an interesting matchup for the final QB spot. I think whoever wins the starting spot could impact who gets the third spot. Shaw is mobile like Manziel, so it would make sense if JFF wins the job that Shaw would get the third spot. If Hoyer gets the nod, look for Thigpen to keep his job in Cleveland as #3.

HB
    1) Ben Tate
    2) Dion Lewis
    3) Terrance West vs Isaiah Crowell vs Edwin Baker

Ben Tate will be the guy for the most part and should provide a good power running counter if Manziel won the job initially. I don't think Dion Lewis' job as #2 is particularly safe as well- and this might be a spot Cleveland looks to get a guy from FA. New Owner Kasper is rumored to want to bring Roy Helu or Rex Burkhead to town. It is likely that only one out of West, Crowell, and Baker stick around.

FB
    1) Chris Ogbannaya

Can be a tough matchup out of the backfield. Not sure how much he will be used but should find a place as a niche weapon.

TE
    1) Jordan Cameron
    2) Gary Barnidge
    3) Jim Dray vs Marquise Gray

Cameron is the man of course, and Barnidge is solid. Gray might stick around as he can be kind of an H-back and be versatile.

WR
    1) Josh Gordon
    2) Miles Austin
    3) Nate Burleson vs Andrew Hawkins vs Travis Benjamin
    6) ?

Cleveland will likely run with 6 WR's on roster at least, and all of the above mentioned will likely be around come Week 1. Benjamin is young and talented, but Burleson is proven and likely to get the #3 spot at least for this year. Gordon is the bomb diggitty so that's that.

OL
    Thomas and Alex Mack are bastards, LG is solid. Right side could use some work.

Defense

NT
    1) Phil Taylor
    2) ?

Phil will be the man in the middle, who shall the backup be nobody knows. We have one on roster but I'm not convinced he is our guy.

LE
    1) Ahtyba Rubin
    2) Billy Winn

Both are solid choices, Rubin will likely get the nod. However, Winn provides quality depth.

RE
    1) Desmond Bryant
    2) John Hughes

Another position where there isn't a big gap, but Bryant will be the guy initially most likely. Again, good depth here.

LOLB
    1) Paul Kruger
    2) Eric Martin
    3) Magee

Kruger is a favorite of new owner Kasper, and is definitely "the guy" at this position. Eric Martin is a former Husker so his spot is pretty well guaranteed. Magee might be replaced by someone with more quality before the regular season gets rolling.

ROLB
    1) Jabaal Sheard
    2) Barkevious Mingo

Probably the deepest position on this team, Mingo will be used in a number of ways to bring pressure from different places on third downs especially. Sheard is solid and will be the everydown player.

MLB
    1) Karlos Dansby
    2) Craig Robertson
    3) Zach Diles
    4) Tank Carder
    5) C Kirksey

Dansby is good but aging, Robertson shows some promised, and Carder is interesting. This position will be a tad up in the air especially once/if Dansby retires soon. Look for this to be a big priority position for Cleveland.

CB
    1) Joe Haden
    2) Justin Gilbert vs Brandon Skrine
    4) Aaron Berry
    5) Leon McFadden
    6) Trufant
    7 & 8) some other guys

Joe Haden is the leader of this defense, and most are looking for the rookie Gilbert to take the #2 spot. Skrine will likely nab the nickel spot and after that it is a toss up- McFadden most likely nabbing #4 but look for some free agents to make their way to Cleveland to sure up some depth here... potentially.

FS
    1) Tashaun Gipson
    2) J Bademosi

Gipson is a solid young player- Bademosi could be challenged by a new face before we get the season kicked off. Gipson is expected to be a fun project, and GM Kasp was a fan of his college days at Wyoming.

SS
    1) Donte Whitner
    2) Jordan Pyer
    3) Aubrey

New man in town Donte "Hitner" will step into the SS spot and provide both leadership and attitude to this defense. Poyer is another player GM Kasp was a fan of during his Oregon State days.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Dustin

Dustin Walk On

[​IMG]
    This will be a preview to the Baltimore Ravens 2014 season. A year after going 8-8 they look to return to the consecutive years of playoff appearances and post season success. Most of the core team returns with a few new additions and departures. We will look at this by each position.

Qb: Joe flacco is the incumbent starter and will have no competition for his spot. Tyrod Taylor also will be the backup QB and have no competition. The GM Dustin hasn't decided if he will keep a third QB on the roster or not.

RB: The starter is Ray Rice and he could be splitting carries with Bernard pierce based on success on the field. Lorenzo Taliaferro could also see some action for a change of pace role. With 6 backs on the roster this would be an area the GM would be willing to negotiate.

TE: The number 1 TE option is Dennis Pitta who is poised to have a big year after being injured most of last year. Owen Daniels will also be used in the passing game quite a bit.

WR: This is the position the GM is most concerned about. After losing Anquan Boldin two years ago, Torrey Smith had to step up and be the leader of the receiving Corp in only his second year in the league. However in the off-season they added a veteran weapon in Steve Smith who not only brings skill and leadership he brings an attitude the offense hasn't had. Jacoby Jones is the likely 3rd receiver and while he isn't your prototypical receiver he has the chance to make plays with his speed. There will be a battle for the 4th and final starting spot in the lineup. I figure the front runner to be Marlon Brown.

OL: the offensive line lost Michael Oher but will be held down with returner and offensive line leader Marshal Yanda.

Kicker: Justin Tucker is one of the best kickers in the league having only missed 6 field goals in his career so far.

Kick returner/ punt returner: Jacoby Jones is the clear cut return man after last season and his efforts in special teams situations.
    DEFENSE
    DE: Brent Urban and Chris Canty are the starters here and will look to be successfully in the trenches.

DT: This position is of concern with only one returner and 3 rookies so I'll be looking to groom players or acquire some via trade or free agency.

NT: without a doubt Haloti Ngata is the man here. If he goes down Terrence Cody although he might be sliding over to defensive tackle.

OLB: My man Suggs will hold down the left outside and Elvis dumervill will hold down the right side. Dangerous pass rush, hopefully they will produce this year!

MLB: I have 2 players that will battle it out, Cj Mosely a highly touted draft pick and Daryll Smith a veteran trying to continue his career.

CB: Hopefully Lardarius Webb can stay healthy as he is the leader of the secondary. After him Jimmy Smith and Asa Jackson round out the cornerbacks.

SS: This is a possible area of concern after losing hard hitter Pillars to the Titans. Darian Stewart.

FS: not much here Matt Elam will start. Coud look for other options.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Dustin nice post- I would encourage you to space some of that out though! Gets a little hard on the eyes all mashed together!

5. Dustin

Dustin Walk On

Ok thanks! I will do that in the future!

6. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Cleveland grinded out a tough 16-3 win @ Pittsburgh in week 1. Ben Tate had a great day with 88 hard earned yards against a stingy Steelers defense, and Manziel went a solid 16-25 in his regular season debut to the tune of 219 yards, one TD, and 0 INTs.

There were actually 0 turnovers by either team in this one.

However, story of the day was Cleveland holding Pitt under 200 yards of offense. The Browns also notched 2 sacks with a few hurries as well.

sschevyridah this is our divisions blog, feel free to post whatever you want that belongs here about your team or about teams in the division.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Hey hey, not just your blog Kasper :p

I'll get some stuff up about the Steelers later on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    RAVENS BLANK STEELERS

[​IMG]
    Flacco was almost flawless against Steelers

Against the rival Steelers, there's nothing better than taking them out and shutting them out in the process. That is exactly what happened at M&T Bank Stadium as the Ravens shut out the hated Steelers, 27-0.

Both units for the Ravens clicked on all cylinders as Flacco great aside from a redzone interception. He threw for 183 yards and 2 scores otherwise on the game. The gameplan was executed to a T, with some nice runs mixed in there, including a big time run from Bernard Pierce, who had a 51 yard scamper off left tackle for a score.

[​IMG]
    Pierce hits paydirt after a 51 yard run

The defense meanwhile was spectacular all game, shutting down Big Ben, limiting him to 48 yards passing and 2 interceptions on the game. In total, the Steelers didn't get to the 100 yard mark on offense. "It was as dominating performance your gonna have against the Steelers...but we know we can't rest on our laurels, we know they will be out for revenge when we visit them in Pittsburgh," said Coach Harbaugh.

[​IMG]
    Elam picks off Big Ben

RAVENS- 27, STEELERS- 0

BALTIMORE RAVENS
    QB Joe Flacco- 16/19, 183 yds, 2 TD's, INT
    RB Bernard Pierce- 7 car, 64 yds, TD
    WR Steve Smith- 6 rec, 65 yds, TD
    WR Torrey Smith- 3 rec, 42 yds, TD
    TE Dennis Pitta- 5 rec, 52 yds
    LB Terrell Suggs- 7 tackles, 6 FL, sack
    SS Matt Elam- 2 tackles, INT

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

QB Ben Roethlisberger- 5/12, 48 yds, 2 INT's
    RB LeVeon Bell- 15 car, 41 yds
    WR Antonio Brown- 2 rec, 22 yds
    SS Troy Polamalu- 8 tackles, 3 FL, INT
    LB Jarvis Jones- 6 tackles, 3 FL, sack​

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Browns Start Off 2-0 With 27-0 Win Over New Orleans.

Manziel went 15-20 for 200 yards and a TD, while Drew Brees had 3 picks on the day. Ben Tate had 84 on the ground with a score, while Isaiah Crowell tacked on 21. Josh Gordan had 77 yards and a TD on 6 catches to lead Cleveland.

So far this season, the Browns have relied on their defense and have kept things simple for Johnny Football on offense- and it has been a recipe for W's.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

[​IMG]

Pittsburgh Steelers have made some changes, as the Rooney's are back in charge of Steelers. In a shocking move head coach Charlie Strong from the University of Texas or now formerly of the University of Texas has taken the head coaching job with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Pittsburgh is excited about Strong's energy and his hard headed attitude.

Pittsburgh also brought in Connor Shaw to be the backup to Big Ben along with Landry Jones. Shaw showed some great things in the preseason so the Steelers are going to try to give the kid a chance to learn.

(On a personal note, I tried to play my game without any pain meds and it did got work at all as I was in severe pain, unfortunately I do not have any pain medication left until Thursday when I see my doctor again. I appreciate the professionalism of Mogriffjr for working thru that with me. broth262 I just wanted to let you know ahead of time I will do the best I can but if it starts getting bad I will get on the little headset and let you know.)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Browns Dominate Division Rival Ravens, Win 34-10

Cleveland was in control of this one after about the first quarter. Cleveland had a great first drive, and Baltimore would go on and fumble the ensuing kickoff which the Browns would capitilize on. Cleveland led this one 28-0 at halftime and that was all she wrote. Billy Cundiff bombed two FG's int he second half from 57 and 60 thanks to a 10mph wind at his back.

Cleveland had 257 yards compared to Baltimore's 329, but the Browns had a much more balanced attack. Cleveland had 98 on the ground and 160 in the air- Baltimore countered with 307 in the air and 22 on the ground (largely due to the early deficit mounting up). Cleveland won the turnover battle with 0 turnovers to Baltimore's 6 (three picks and three fumbles). Johnny Football was impressive again, throwing for 172 yards and 2 TDs while completing 87.5% of his passes. Tashaun Gipson had two picks, while Haden added one.

Good game Mogriffjr , Next game hopefully the cpu doesn't shit on you.

12. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Pittsburgh goes down to Carolina and loses a hard nosed battle 7-6. Carolina scored on their first drive and the Steelers shut them down the rest of the way. We rode our horse Le'Veon Bell in a big way,but inside the five where we were reposed to get at least the go ahead field goal Big Big missed on the slant and missed a wide open Markus Wheaton by 4 yards in front of him and threw it into the chest of the safety. After that Pittsburgh wasn't able to get back close enough for a field goal attempt. Steelers looked a lot better this week and hopefully will pick up there first win this week.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I do like seeing a 7-6 score line :D

14. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

I dunno how people are putting up like huge score lines. However, then again I grind it out and run the football and pretty much get a 50/50 mix. I've seen some of the yards/attempts by QBs and damn.

15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    RAVENS REBOUND OVER PANTHERS

[​IMG]
    Tucker nails a 62 yard FG

After receiving a beatdown from the Browns in their last game, the Ravens had to get back to some sort of balance. Yes Flacco and the OC have a tendency to want to pass the football and use these dynamic targets like Torrey Smith, Steve Smith and Dennis Pitta in the passing game. But it's always good to throw your opponent off guard, especially when that opponent has one of the top defenses in the game in the Panthers.

Today it was all about balance. 24 runs to 21 passes, a check in the "good" column. The running backs have all been told it's a big group effort and with the addition of Chris Ivory, the backfield is now a 4 headed monster. While none of the 4 backs really separated themselves from the rest, it's the fact that the Ravens COULD do this which makes it an effective strategy for now. Chris Ivory gained 31 yards on 8 carries, Pierce 24 yards on 8 carries and Forsett had 18 yards on 4 carries. While none of the RB's did major damage, it was the threat of the run that made way for some big plays in the passing game.

Torrey Smith had his biggest game yet with 119 yards on 5 receptions and 2 touchdowns. His gamebreaking speed was a huge difference on the outside with a defense who loves to take away the "big play." Smith had a 52 yard reception for a TD and a 24 yarder. "Against this defense that was huge in softening up the defense," said Torrey Smith.

[​IMG]
    Smith had a good day against his counterpart, Antoine Cason

The defense was very good all game, stifling the Panthers ground attack and forcing the Panthers to go horizontally instead of vertically in the run game. As a result, Cam and the RB's led by Kenjon Barner really couldn't do damage on the ground. Newton threw for 185 yards but threw a pick as well and didn't throw any passing TD's.

RAVENS- 30, PANTHERS- 14

BALTIMORE RAVENS
    Joe Flacco- 14/21, 239 yds, 3 TD's, INT
    Bernard Pierce- 8 car, 24 yds, 2 rec, 27 yds
    Chris Ivory- 8 car, 31 yds
    Torrey Smith- 5 rec, 119 yds, 2 TD's
    Timmy Jernigan- 6 tackles, 3 FL, 2 sacks
    Matt Elam- 7 tackles, FL
    Terrence Brooks- 6 tackles, INT

CAROLINA PANTHERS
    Cam Newton- 15/24, 185 yds, INT
    Kenjon Barner- 10 car, 32 yds
    DeAngelo Williams- 1 car, 4 yds, TD
    Jerricho Cotchery- 2 rec, 60 yds
    Thomas DeCoud- 6 tackles, FL

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kevin Gomez

Kevin Gomez Walk On

I call bs on the 62 yarder

• Like Like x 1
  17. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

[​IMG]
    Final Score
    Pittsburgh Steelers 20

Jacksonville Jaguars 19

Pittsburgh goes into Jacksonville and comes out with a last second win off the foot of second year kicker Dustin Hopkins.

During the first quarter the Jaguars offense controlled much of the quarter with some timely screen passes and check downs under pressure. Steelers offense would be slow to start but the defense lead by the defensive line was bend but don't break allowing 2 field goals inside the red zone finishing the first quarter down 6-0.

[​IMG]

During the second quarter after another Steelers punt the big time punt returner Denard Robinson labeled "the Weapon" showed exactly why as he went 102 yards back on the punt return for a touchdown to put the Steelers down 13-0. Pittsburgh finally behind Le'Veon Bell would get the ball going and the passing game to get inside the red zone. Unfortunately having to settle for a field goal as Dri Archer was unable to punch it in from 3rd and goal from the 2. Pittsburgh defensive line began asserting itself at this punt putting pressure on Blake Bortles and forced a pick to Troy Polamalu which gave the Steelers the chance to try to put a last minute drive. Pittsburgh found Lance Moore open deep down the middle on the post on a cover 2 and hit for 47 yards. With six seconds left and one time out left the Steelers felt we had time for one more play before the field goal, an inside run to Bell and the big bruiser pounded it in for us to go into halftime with the lead cut 13-10.​

[​IMG]

In the third quarter both teams made adjustments and again the Steelers defense was able to stop the Jaguars inside in the red zone for another field goal making it 16-10 going into the 4th. Pittsburgh would put a great drive together behind the running of Le'Veon Bell and throwing of Ben Roethlisberger. Bell would finish the drive off on a great run into the end zone to take the lead 17-16. Jacksonville would drive themselves back down to the field but another timely sack by Cameron Heyward would force the Jaguars to settle for a field goal to go up 19-16. Big Big would lead the troops down the field and thanks to some great catches by Heath Miller, Antonio Brown, Owen Marecic and Le'Veon Bell it set the Steelers up to kick a 25 yard field goal with one second left to take a 20-19 tackle on the return and Steelers have won two in a row.

[​IMG]

Jacksonville Stars:
    QB Blake Bortles 16/22 273 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
    RB Toby Gerhart 13 carries 21 yards, 4 catches 83 yards
    MLB LaRoy Reynolds 6 tackles, 6 solo, 1 TFL, 1 sack
    K Josh Scobee 4/4 Long 32 yards

Pittsburgh Stars:
    QB Ben Roethlisberger 12/21 192 yards 0 TD, 1 INT
    RB Le'Veon Bell 17 carries 79 yards 2 TDs, 1 catch 14 yards
    WR Lance Moore 3 catches 71 yards
    DT Steve McLendon 4 tackles, 3 TFL, 3 sacks
    DE Cameron Heyward 5 tackles, 3 TFL, 3 sacks

GG Danthraxxx
    What a back and forth battle, I think my defensive line really helped save me a lot in tough spots with the 7 sacks total. You certainly have the Jaguars on a good upward swing.​

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I will get to it later, but great game kdpnutter

19. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Yeah, too bad got in a whole early with taking over, oh well I'll keep it interesting the rest of the way. I should have had it but 2 big drops killed me.

20. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Cleveland Slips Past Pittsburgh 13-10

A really close defensive battle was won by the Browns today, as they edged the Steelers by a final of 13-10. Both teams missed a field goal, both had some turnovers (Big Ben threw three picks), and Pittsburgh came within inches of completing a couple big passes at the end, but the Cleveland defense held strong.

Great game again kdp!

21. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Cleveland 27
    Jacksonville 7

Cleveland played arguably their best game of the season and got a big road win at Jacksonville Sunday. Johnny Football was outstanding going 17-20 for 238 yards and 2 TDs, along with a 19 yard scramble. Gordon finally went over 100 yards in a game, with 110 on 7 catches and a TD today.

The Cleveland defense was lights out once again, surrendering only 185 yards to the Jags, while also forcing one INT.

Good game Danthraxxx - hopefully we get to play again sometime.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.