AFC Wild Card: Jets vs Ravens

Discussion in 'Game Summaries & Team News' started by Josh Barnes, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Josh Barnes

Josh Barnes Walk On

Ravens Squeak Past Jets, Advance to AFC Divisional Playoff Game

[​IMG]

Baltimore, MD -- The New York Jets (10-6) traveled to Baltimore to take on the Ravens (10-6) in the AFC Wild Card round of the playoffs. The Jets, who lost to the Ravens 28-7 back in week 12, were out for revenge.

Baltimore would receive the opening kickoff, but the Ravens offense would not be on the field long. After nearly throwing an interception on first and second down, the Ravens were forced to punt.

In their previous meeting, the Jets offense was unable to hit on any big plays. There were constantly forced to drive the length of the field. Big plays were a primary focus for the team in preparing for this game.

“We knew in order to increase our chances to win, we had to hit on big plays,” stated Jets head coach Rex Ryan. “That’s a tough defense, statistically one of the best defenses in the league, so we knew driving the field consistently would be tough.”

The Jets focus on big plays, paid great dividends starting from their first play from scrimmage. Less than a minute into the game, Jets running back Mike Goodson took the handoff from QB Geno Smith 74 yards to the house to take an early 7-0 lead.

On the Ravens ensuing possession they faced a tough third and one from their own 35. As they have done all season long, the Ravens fed All-Pro running back Ray Rice the ball, which turned out to be a wise decision.

TE Ed Dickson and WR Jacoby Jones were able to push the defense down, setting the edge for a 30 yard run by Rice. The rowdy crowd and M&T Bank quickly grew quite as they realized Rice had fumbled at the end of the play; however, erupted once they realized right guard Marshall Yanda had recovered the ball.

The Ravens would manage to gain another first down getting to the Jets 10 yard line, but the drive soon stalled, forcing them to settle for a FG.

Both teams would go on to exchange punts their next two possessions due to stout defense.

With 3:06 left in the second quarter, Jets QB Geno Smtih looked to hit WR Stephen Smith deep down field on 2nd and 6, but was picked off by second year corner Jimmy Smith.

The Ravens wasted no time looking to capitalize on the Jet turnover. On 1st and 10 from their own 33, QB Joe Flacco ran play action to the left and then turned to hit WR Torrey Smith deep for a gain of 47.

Once again, the Ravens were unable to capitalize in the red zone settling for a Justin Tucker FG making the score 7-6 in favor of the Jets.

With the ball and one time out remaining the Jets would look to run their two minute offense to put points on the board before the half, which proved to be a costly mistake.

On 2nd and 6 from their own 22 yard line, Smith dropped back looking to take a chance down field to WR Santonio Holmes, but Raven CB Lardarius Webb had other plans. Not only did Webb intercept the pass, but he returned the pick for six giving Baltimore the lead for the first time on the day.

The Jets would receive the second half kickoff down 13-7 looking to take back control of the game. They had early success driving the ball into Raven territory in only three plays; however, another turnover would abruptly end their drive.

On the Ravens 35 with a 1st and 10, the Jets looked to get the ball into their explosive running backs hands. Running a HB screen to the left, with a convoy of blockers in front of Goodson, QB Geno Smith saw a big play in front of his eyes.

Unfortunately, for Smith the end result was not the big play he had in mind.

MLB Daryl Smith, who has perhaps been Baltimore’s defensive MVP this season with 10 interceptions, sniffed out the screen and jumped in to intercept the screen.

Once again coming off the turnover, Baltimore looked to strike quick. Coming out in a single back set with three WR’s and one TE Flacco wanted to stretch the defense and push the ball down field.

“Anytime your defense can create a turnover, you want to be able to take advantage of that,” said Flacco. “A lot of times an offense will look to strike while the iron is hot and try to catch the defense unprepared. I wouldn’t say we caught them off guard by any means, but we were able to take advantage of the pick and make a big play.”

Feeling pressure from the left side, Flacco rolled out to his right looking to hit either Jones coming across the field or Pitta streaking down the seams.

“That’s a play that we run from time to time. We feel like especially in zone coverage, it makes the safety make a choice. Are you going to take away the WR and leave the TE free or take away the TE deep and leave the WR open underneath,” mentioned Flacco. “Basically, in that situation it is on me to make the right read.”

And make the right read he did.

Flacco saw the safety Martin come up a step on the underneath route, and immediately threw the ball deep to Pitta.

“To be honest, I was a little worried once I threw it. He (Martin) came up to take Jones away, but was able to recover quickly. He got back there and almost made a heck of a play on the ball. Fortunately for us that small step was enough to barely get it in there,” explained Flacco.

Pitta came down with the ball at the seven, and Ray Rice was able to take the ball in for six the very next play extending Baltimore’s lead to 20-7.

Faced with a crucial 3rd and 6 the following series, Smith was able to find TE Jeff Cumberland to extend the Jets drive. After several more positive plays, Smith ran the read option on first and 10 and took it to the house for a 37 yard TD cutting the Ravens led to 6.

Looking to respond to the TD, the Ravens moved the ball with a nice mix of run and pass until a critical mistake by Flacco would suddenly change the game.

One 1st and 10 at their own 44 yard line with under a minute left in the third, the Ravens ran play action to the right, but the Jets defense did not bite.

With great coverage all around and the line collapsing, Flacco was forced to rollout to his left. The defense quickly closed on the QB. Realizing he needed to make a decision quick fast and in a hurry, Flacco tried forcing a pass and was intercepted by Cromartie.

“I can’t make that mistake there,” said Flacco after the game. “I have to be smarter with the football in that situation.”

When asked why he tried throwing the ball to the FB with Cromartie standing in front of him Flacco responded by saying, “The pass wasn’t intended for Vonta. I felt like I had enough space that I could fit into Dennis, but the ball slipped out of my hands and the rest is history.”

Following the pick, HB Mike Goodson took a counter 32 yards down to the Ravens 28 yard line. The Jets would score on the very next play when Smith hit WR Hakeem Nicks across the middle with 12 seconds left in the third.

With the defense in a cover 0 blitz, Smith squeezed the ball into tight coverage to Nicks, who was spun around on the missed tackle and was able to out run the Baltimore defense on his way to six. Nicks TD gave the Jets a one point lead, 21-20.

Feeling the momentum shift, Baltimore needed someone to step up and make a big play, which is exactly what Deonte Thompson did on the ensuing kickoff.

Thompson fielded the ball at the goalline and was able to take the ball down the sideline thanks to terrific blocking by the Ravens return team. Although he was unable to score on the return, Thompson got the ball down to the 8 yard line, where QB Joe Flacco would hit Ray Rice coming out of the backfield for a TD to start the fourth quarter.

Needing a two point conversion to push their lead to 7, the Ravens lined up for two. Flacco was able to complete a pass to TE Dennis Pitta for the successful conversion making the score 28-21 in favor of the Ravens.

Baltimore’s defense would arise to the occasion forcing the Jets to punt on their next possession. With the ball and the lead with around five minutes left in the game. The Ravens offense knew they needed another score to feel the slightest bit comfortable.

Moving the ball efficiently through the air and on the ground and converting on several key third downs, the Ravens were able to punch the ball in for six with just over two minutes left in the game.

Down 14 approaching the two minute warning, the Jets would not go away quietly. With the final play before the warning, Smith hit WR Braylon Edwards down the field for a gain of 62 yards. Smith was sacked on first down coming out of the two minute warning.

Going to the hurry up offense with 1:40 left in game, Goodson motioned to the backfield from the slot position where the Jets faked the draw. Although the Ravens did not fall for the play action, there were several holes in the secondary. These holes allowed Smith to hit Hill coming across the middle, who broke two tackles en route to a 18 yard TD.

With two timeouts and just over 1:30 left in the game, the Jets lined up for an onside kick; however, they were unsuccessful in recovering it. Baltimore took over at the 48 needing only a first to seal the game, which they were able to get when Rice broke free for a long run to seal the victory.

The Ravens will now travel to Indy to take on the number two seed Colts who are 14-2 on the season. They will undoubtedly have their hands full with former running back Bernard Pierce, who was traded to the Colts from Baltimore during the offseason. Pierce, who was recently named the MVP of the league, along with second year QB Andrew Luck will provide quite the test for this Ravens defense.

Key Game Stats:

RAVENS
    QB Joe Flacco – 8 of 15 for 156 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT
    HB Ray Rice – 149 yards on 22 attempts with 2 rushing TD’s. Rice also added a receiving TD
    Baltimore defense picked the rookie QB off 3 times

JETS
    QB Geno Smith – 12 of 17 for 206 yards with 2 TD’s and 3 INT’s. Smith also had 6 rushing attempts for 54 yards and a TD
    HB Mike Goodson- 129 yards on 9 attempts and 1 TD
    New York completed 60% of third down conversions

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    once a again, gg klaximilian I am certainly looking forward to many more in the future

• Like Like x 2
  2. Josh Barnes

Josh Barnes Walk On

LtJustice
    CHUNKNESS

Once again, my apologies for the delay in the recap. As I have mentioned things have been hectic and I did not have access to the net this past weekend. I am finishing up my move this weekend and should be back to a normal schedule within a week or so. Thanks for bearing with me during this adjustment period for myself.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

All good Josh. Make sure to post times of inconvenience like this in the vacation / out of town forum so that we are aware in the future. Completely understood given your circumstances. Thx for another detailed recap!