Aggies to SEC?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by vatechhokie01, Aug 9, 2011.

1. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

2. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

I was reading the same thing earlier today. I just dont see it, but who knows. I think Aggienation's hatred of UT is clouding their judgement. I dont think moving to the SEC in anyway will improve that program.

3. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Be awesome if the Big 10 could get Mizz and maybe Iowa st...Iowa and Iowa St should be in the same conf

4. vatechhokie01

did you just say that going to the SEC would not benefit a program? Friend, there isnt a program in the country, outside of Texas and ND (i want to kill myself saying this) that wouldnt both benefit and jump at the chance to go the SEC...

dollars friend, dollars. The SEC is on about 2 levels above everyone else in college football and potential dollars. no contest.

5. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

Ok, back that up. What is the revenue share from the SEC TV contract vs what was recently worked out in the new Big12 contract? I realize the SEC has won 5 strait championships, but a conference does not make a program. How has the move worked out for Arkanas?

6. vatechhokie01

that is one short and silly view friend. the reality:

-TV contracts are short-term and one part. everyone one-ups everyone
    -NO ONE has bigger potential for long-term TV revenue than the SEC
    -TV revenue is one piece... merchandising, donors, etc skyrocket with SEC move
    -everyone on planet earth knows that 16-team power confs are the future of football
    -that same "everyone" knows that the SEC holds all the chips in this future
    -in the long-term SEC owns the world in college fball... plain and simple

7. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

I agree that the SEC holds the power and is the king of conferences, but TAMU to the SEC doesnt make sense to me. They are a mediorce program that will enter an even more competitive conference. If you think donors will shell out the bucks for season after season of 6-6 football, you are mistaken. If TAMU didnt like the fact that UT controlled the Big12, they are in for a rude awakening if they move to the SEC. They will have no more infulence/power than Arkansas or Ole Miss have, which is minimal.

8. vatechhokie01

The SEC is silly. And it is silly to analyze in long-term future potential by ANYTHING other than being grouped with, a part of, and alongside the revenue machines of the SEC. there is simply no argument...

Most Valuable College Footbal Teams
    http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/22/college-football-ncaa-business_cz_jg_1222collegefootball.html
    -7 of 13 in SEC

Total Athletic Dept Revenue
    http://www.hawkeyenation.com/football/ncaa-top-revenue-producers
    -6 of top 11 SEC

Most Profitable Football Programs
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/...802810.html#s217317&title=University_of_Texas
    -top 7 of 12

top 12 most valuable teams
    http://www.businesspundit.com/the-12-most-valuable-teams-in-ncaa-football/
    -5 of 12 in SEC

9. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

So if this happens, that leaves the BIG 12 with what 9? Is it me or does a few go east, a few west and a few north to the PAC/Big 10/and sec respectily? What is the plan long term for the big 12?

10. vatechhokie01

11. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

If TAMU goes, they will be no better in 5 years than they are now. This move is ONLY being done out of the hatred they have for UT. They will be no better than Arkansas in the SEC.

12. vatechhokie01

1st of all, you hate A&M. 2nd of all as a Texan, you should know damn well the revenue machine that is A&M. the tradition is arguably on of the absolute greatest in the country. no way they are going anywhere. Yes, Texas (and again, sadly ND) are on islands with their revenue machines, but A&M is ANYTHING but a small-time program or in danger of losing money, fanbase, etc

1st of all, SEC owns the world and can have anyone they damn well please... yet they chose A&M. they know what they are doing.
    2nd, are you literally proposing A&M sits in the freakin Big-12 and watches as the huge confs (SEC 1st, then Big 10, then Pac-12) rape the smaller conferences and establish huge power-conferences... all for a couple of yrs of money? This makes no sense whatsoever. The Big-12 is beyond dead in the water in the long-term.

13. vatechhokie01

this move is being made because they aren't idiots and they have money. and i think you are absolutely insane to believe that A&M doesnt have the potential to be a powerhouse. you are also delusional to think that A&M being the ONLY team in massive and football-mecca Texas with the glamour of the SEC won't be a huge benefit to them...

most would dream of being the only SEC school in freakin Texas... what an angle.

14. vatechhokie01

not to mention, i love your arkansas hatred. i would 1st argue that arkansas is not A&M. they arent in texas and although decent tradition, fall way short of the fan-base or tradition of A&M. 2nd of all, hilarious that you think Arkansas isnt loving the SEC. they have had some squads and the security of long-term money and opportunity is insane. some fans mine bemoan (but yes, i would agree that ark fans are of the most delusional sort), but i guaran-damn-tee the arkansas officials arent doing anything but counting cash

15. vatechhokie01

mullen: of couse i have no idea, but i think the wildcard is OU. no idea where they end up.

but Big-12 is done. UT is only school on planet that can pull off successful independent status and still own the world of money and championship potential (in about every sport). without a doubt, unless the NCAA disbands (which is VERY really possibility imo), 16-power confs are the future. even if the NCAA disbands, its still prob the future.

16. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

I dont hate A&M and I agree they have great tradition, but if you are a dilusional A&M fan if you think they will turn that program into a powerhouse.

17. vatechhokie01

besides bad coaching and bad luck, name one thing they lack?! money, fans, recruiting, texas, tradition, academics...

there is nothing. i would absolutely argue no school in the country does so little with so much. the fix to that? coaching and adminstration. those can change... and will until they utilize the unbelievable wealth they possess.

i dont get your argument. NO ONE (of the non-contenders that is) has what they have. no one.

18. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

I'll believe it when I see it. A move to the SEC will destoy much of the tradition and rivalrys that they have. How will that be a good thing?

19. vatechhokie01

they said the same thing when the SWC blew-up... didnt happen. A&M, lost in decades of mediocre coaching and administration, still finds itself high on ALL revenue rankings, profit rankings, recruiting rankings, and fan-base rankings...

stop hating. byu sucks. and they destroyed both of Ty Detmer's shoulders in the same game cuz he was a pussy.

20. vatechhokie01

sec means more exposure, more revenue, new energy, unbeatable exciting schedule, renewed rivalry with Arkansas... and probably continuing OOC w/ Texas most yrs

21. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

When the SWC blew up, the lost SMU, Arkansas, and TCU. Those wont be like what they will lose if the leave the Big12. Also, I've never thought adding A&M to the SEC was a bad idea from the SEC perspective, I just dont see what A&M gets out of it other than detroyed rivalrys and tougher competition, neither of which I see as good things for that program.

22. vatechhokie01

so your angle is being in easier competition > than money and exposure?

sounds like you have no balls. if the SEC invited VT, we would get our asses handed to us. and we'd be absolutely STUPID not to accept the invite. anyone would.

any you know darn well, and i agree, that UT-A&M is huge... historically and i would even argue now bigger than UT-OU. i agree that losing that rivalry would be HUGE... and negative. But a) they might keep playing (especially with UT as independent...which will happen), and b) Arkansas is also a huge historic rivalry...easily 2nd and traditionally bigger than TTU

23. vatechhokie01

maybe i should have said this: Texas WILL be independent. mark it down.

24. TJM

TJM Walk On

In regards to power conferences and being indepedent, Notre Dame will be in the Big 10 within 10 years. Being indepedent is really not going to be a sustainable adventure with these 16 power team conferences forming.

Big 10 is moving to 9 game schedule in 2017. What this does is eliminate marquee out of conference matchups to get to 7.5 avg games year (to sustain athletic budgets), 1 less OOC game/year. So the 1 and 1s with schools like Notre Dame, Alabama, Virginia, etc..Will prob. not happen. The future for these kind of Big10 games are the games are neutral places like the Michigan vs Alabama game at Cowboys Stadium.

Notre Dame uses the Big 10 as their de facto conference while retaining the benefits of being indepedent. With one less out-of-conference game to play with, all of Notre Dame's regular rivals (Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, and sometimes Penn State) will have less room to schedule inter-sectional home-and-home agreements that will rob them of guaranteed revenue. The Big 10 just forced NDs card, because Notre Dame does not want to give up these games just as much as Michigan, MSU, Purdue, and PSU once in awhile.

Long term, with these 16 team conferences forming, being indepedent will not be sustainable. When the Big 10 goes to 14 or 16 teams, ND can either join or get left out, without any benefits that come from a relationship with those Big 10 teams.

25. TJM

TJM Walk On

and what all these discussions come down to is...Money. A&M will do whatever is best for their revenue, if that means going to the SEC to get pounded every season then so be it. How much their fan base and alumni will not support a 6-6 team is to be seen.