AIM requirement?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by natedawg212000, Jan 16, 2010.

1. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

AIM requirement?

should we make AIM as a requirement to join the league? this way we can have a messaging program since no one uses the chat room.

2. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

I def think we should

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I don't have an opinion one way or the other. I have all the messaging services to make sure no matter which one people have, I can communicate with them.

Up to the board, but I already have them, so it's all right.

4. Big D

Big D Walk On

I say yes

5. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

the only problem is the people who get AIM set up to join the league but are still never on it. I'm just not sure if this is going to solve anything.

6. natedawg212000

soooo...where do we stand for this?

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I think I'm with Claven on this issue. I think requiring a certain IM would be a bit much, since if we require one of them (any of them) to join, people will get it then forget to turn the darn thing on and USE it.

I think our main problem that involves this issue is communication. I think if we crack down on how people schedule games, and hold them to initial commitments, that will curb these gaming issues as far as people not showing up.

My personal stance on communication is this: if you set up a game and cannot make it (for whatever reason), then you forfeit the ability to play that game and it results in a CPU play for the player not making the time. A reason should then be provided as soon as possible for why the scheduled time was not made. If the reason is not sufficient, the player gets a warning for lack of activity.

This may seem a bit harsh, but these are commitments of time we are making. The least you could do, as a sign of respect, is honor those time commitments. Note that this does NOT include if a time is rescheduled on the boards BEFORE that original agreed time takes place.

Example: I and Nate have a game. I say I'm available at times A, B, and C. He says he can play at time B. We agree to time B. If Nate or I post before time B that we need to reschedule, no warning is necessary. However, if time B passes and one of us fails to arrive, the other one has earned a CPU play and the other player must provide a reason to the board as to why they did not show up. If sufficient, no warning is issued. If silly reason, warning is issued. Board votes on issue within 24 hours of problem arising.

I have LOTS of pet peeves about how people schedule games, but I'll save them for another time.

8. natedawg212000

I have several guys on aim, it seems to be what ppl use the most.

9. natedawg212000

i say we go with it and see how it works. worse case it doesnt work, but its better than nothing.

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

All righty then. Suits me fine as I have them all and use Trillian anyway. Maybe we should push Trillian as a requirement as well so that way we can communicate no matter which IM you use.

11. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Sorry I slept on this thread guys. I talk to guys on AIM from the league all the time. It is a good tool to use for people that like to use it. I am kind of a private person so really the only downside that I see is that when you are on AIM at wor suddenly and suddenly the niners owner is asking me who I want for Flacco and I have no idea who he is. lol. I am fine either way. Good tool to talk to people in the league and very convenient.

12. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

Trillian is the way to go that way if people have yahoo or some weird reason microsoft messenger they can still talk to and see people using AIM. I have a AIM and Yahoo account that I have up using trillain.

13. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Meebo is pretty good too. There is not even any software that you have to download to youe computer. You can just sync all of your messengers together by going to meebo.com. Nothing to do with this, but just my geekiness coming out.

14. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I got trillian on advice from Nate/Claven and love it. Went ahead and set up accounts with ICQ, AIM, and MSM, downloaded software, then deleted it afterwards. Works wonders!