Akron Zips 2011 season thread.

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Highyella, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Highyella

Highyella Walk On

Akron Zips 2011 season thread.

Allow me to introduce myself, Im the new head coach of the the Akron Zips.Today Bowl game was my first time coaching this team and it feels good to use them because then i can see where i will be strong at next year and where i will need to improve.We played a great Texas Tech team that played there hearts out,hats off to Em.

It was a hard fought game, score went back and fort for much of the first half of the game.At half time the score was 20-17 Akron. We came out in the second half with the idea that we were just gonna pound the rock with our 218 pound RB Devoe Torrence who racked up a 124 yards on 21 carries.Right about the 4th qtr we decided to run the clock being up only 3 points when Matt Rodgers threw a pass that was tiped at the line and it went back for 6.So now we had to basically abandon the run and get down feild and try to score with only 2mins left in the game, and that we did with the 5 year senior hitting WR after WR until he finally found his half back in the flats for the goahead scamper into the endzone.

Now the for the outlook into the offseason.This is difinetly gonna be a rough offseason We are losing our starting QB Matt Rodgers,Two of our top rated WRs not to mention a 2 players on our OLine and the guys behind dont look like they are remotely ready to start.On the defensive side of the ball we will take a big hit losing players on the dline(5 alone are DEs /palmface) and believe a couple CBs.

Now for the upside We still have i believe 13 spots to fill so , in the offseason recruiting will be cruicial.

After the game winning TD look who decided to taunt the sideline....15yards maybe?who cares hes a senior!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Who can spot the hole in this picture?

[​IMG][​IMG]

J.Root Our TE does a good job of looking the ball in!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

That will be it for now until after the offseason...maybe we get some transfers which would be great lol.

2. Highyella

Highyella Walk On

Finaly got the upload right...wait WTF do fish get thirsty?!!?

/palm face

3. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

lol wth is that. Do they?!

4. Highyella

Highyella Walk On

Offseason update

W.Simpson Dt **
    Gwilliams DE **
    K Johnson FB*
    A Hart QB**
    R Harvey c **
    R Wilson DE **
    J Monroe **
    C cade(juco) Dt **
    H Murphy CB ***
    G Donaldson CB **
    R Johnson SS **

The boys listed up above are the newly recruited zips.11 new players will suit up for us next year,very good considering only 1 player signed before the offseason started. We felt we needed to improve our dline.We wont know yet until until next season begins.2 Fr most likely will be starting on the Defensive line.Another notable change is that House our (Jr) Fs now plays CB...last year he played great as our Nickle and he and Fr H Murphy Will battle for the number two slot.

On the Offensive side of the ball, we wanted to upgrade at WR but we didnt have enough weeks and/or recruiting hours to upgrade There and take care of the glaring needs on defense.I feel that we can compete at a high level with our senior QB and RB that will bascally hold the team on there shoulders.If those two guys have a good season i think we may do better than people expect.

All in all i look forward to the schedule release to see where we go and when.

5. Highyella

Highyella Walk On

Akon vs Uthat

Very good game by both teams.We did some good things and we did some bad things in this game. First we will talk about the good. I feel our WRs droped too many open passes.I also felt they took forever to get open.Our defense played great other than missing Sacks on the QB we did a great job.

Now for the good, i felt that Wackerly had a great day throwing the ball he was 12/18 for 167 and 3tds,his Wrs droped some good passes but other than that he did what he needed to ,to keep drives going.I also felt that we ran the ball well with the assistance of both D.Torrence and backup T.Humphrey they both racked up a 155 yards on the ground.

Defensively we missed a few tackles but overal i was pleased especially with our make shift secondary, we got a Safty playing Corner and a True fr out there running around making plays.

Caught em in a blitz
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Root probably the best hands on our team.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Highyella

Highyella Walk On

Today we played Air Force and those boys came out to play, at the end of the first half it was 14-6 and i thought what seem to be an easy game was about to be a dog fight.In the first half we turned the ball over Twice, one interception and the other was a muffed punt,But our defense didnt give up one first down in the first half .Second half came around and Wackerly came out on fire throwing completion after completion.Wackerly says " I felt that we were depending on the run game too much in the first half and we needed a spark." We put up 35 points in the second half which helped us run away with the game.

On the down side, our Wrs dropped way 2 many key passes.They need to either improve or we are gonna have to get some recruits with hands to come take over next season.On the Plus side our defense gave up 2 First downs and 96 total offensive yards.

The story of the first half.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The story of the second

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Highyella

Highyella Walk On

Blowout victory today vs Eastern michigan.We came away with a 59-3 victory and it is also Coach yella's first conference win.After the game coach yella commented on the game saying " we got a great group a kids here that played there hearts out that would would want nothing more than to win the Mac this year".

The Zips had a great day on the ground rushing for over 220 yards Split between two RBs.It seems like with the WRs inability to catch Passes under pressure the zips will be leaning on senior RB D.Torrence and Jr RB T.Humphrey.

Senior QB J.Wackerly was knocked out of the first half of the 2nd Qtr, but returned Just before halftime to make a play to his TE J.Roots.

Next week The Zips will be at home to host Western Michigan.Shouts out to Louis Delmas

8. Highyella

Highyella Walk On

Another blowout victory for Akron 49-0.Shouts out to louis delmas a childhood friend of mine.Game was dominated with the Running game Both backs i believe eclipsed 100 yards on the ground, i know both had 2 tds.D.Torrence had back spasm so i sat him out the entire second half.

We had two recruits come to the game today,Bryce Carter(t) and Charles Mcfadden(p)

Both recruits If signed will not see action their freshman Year.

Up Next week will be buffalo

9. Highyella

Highyella Walk On

Akron post another shutout game in back to back weeks.Theres a few bad things that happen in this game and of course alot of good.First with the bad, Wrs are still dropping passes on key downs, one pass was droped and it became a tip drill for the defense giving wackerly is only Int of the game.We also had 2 fumbles one was overturned by the booth but if you held onto the ball we would never need to challenge the play. The good is that the Defense played great today,buffalo came with alot of 4wide and 5 wide sets to spread out the D,it didnt work.The Defense gets the game ball.

Wackerly had another good game throwing for 314 yrds and 4tds and 1 tip drill..D.Torrence came through for us on the ground again today racking up 181 yds and T.Humphrey racked up 76 yrds on 10 carries.

Richmond celebrating after his pick 6!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Humphrey breaks free into Buffalo's secondary!

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Highyella

Highyella Walk On

Akron Wins big, After a horrible game offensively against BGSU.They bounce back scoring at will and playing good defense.The offensive line is still playing as they did all season(poorly) but nothing can be done till the offseason.AKron dreams of winning the Mac was basically all but destroyed after losing to BGSU last week but they still have games coming up that should be very interesting.

11. Highyella

Highyella Walk On

OK Just came out of the Tulsa game.Few things Going into this game, i knew it would a test for us,we face the Number 2 Rushing offense In the nation.Also going into the game Beaver was listed as Questionable and was basically a gametime decision, so we didnt know what kind of offense we were gonna see/get Because if beaver doesnt start would we see the option and if so how many times will they run it?

First snap we noticed that Beaver was in the game and we knew we had to come out on all cylinders,and that we did!Everytime Beaver left the pocket there was a spy on him and everytime the option was called we made sure we got to him.I dunno if Beaver was at 100% for that game but he didnt look it.He was 13/29 141yards and 4 Ints, he also had a team high 17 yards rushing on 11 attempts,He just looked flustered. The defense gets the game ball today,they rose to the occasion.

Offensively we did what we did the whole year and that was keep it as balance as possible and try to keep Wackerly Upright, i think this was the first game he did not get sacked! but he did get hit ,Tulsa had some chances at duck balls for 6 but all fell to the ground.All in all it was a great game on both sides of the ball .the score i believe was 45-3.We prepare for ohio next!

Beaver on the option keep for a lost of yards.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Peoples on a FB fake HB Toss...Swarming D!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome back

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Highyella

Highyella Walk On

Today we played Kent State for our anunual Game.We Did some scouting before the game and noticed they had the Number 1 TE in the nation. I believe he leads all TE's In Tds and receptions.Our main goal was to take away the big play TE,which i believe we did a great job of doing that, I think he had 3 or 4 catchs for about 40 yards maybe less.Off course you go into a game wanting to take away the run game...we did that.

Defensively we did exactly what we wanted to do_Offensively it was very hard to run the ball at them so we basically started to run outta shot gun some and some miss direction which paid off.

On a Bad Note,we lost Hiesman candidate D.Torrence for 2weeks. so we will need humphrey to be our guy vs FSU.

All in all it was a great game, hopefully this helps us steal some recruits during the offseason(yaah rought)

Pat Mcnair is fast...But Mr.Harrington is faster!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Wackerly and Torrence...We're gonna miss those two next year :-(

[​IMG][​IMG]

Wanna know how you know This is a game filled with hate amongst the players?Look Top right at The Wr and Cb!!
    I wouldve Uploaded it but i dunno how to embed a video on here SORRY!
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/14719136

13. Highyella

Highyella Walk On

With the end of the season approaching ,Akron will be saying a good bye to a few standout players who will not be with us next year.on the offensive side of the ball we will be losing starting QBJared Wackerly and Starting RB Devoe Torrence Both players stepped up to help akron to a 11-1 regular season record.Next year the offense will miss these two And most likely will take a step back.Both Wackerly and Torrence should be first day picks just on their stats alone.Another starting senior we will be losing on the offensive side of the ball is Mike Ward the starting Guard.Ward is the best Onlineman we had and he surely will be missed next season.

On the defensive side of the ball we played lights out all year with the exception of the Mascare at BGSU.Starters we will be losing OLB Nate Schuler, CB J Richmond and Our play caller MLB Rodney Wesley.These guys were the corner stone of our Number 1 ranked Defense in the nation this year and they will most definetely be missed.J Richmond help bring along true freshman CB H Murphy, because he was thrown into the game earlier than i figured he would as i personally recruited him.Both LBs Will be missed On 3rd and short and 4th and inches.We will be looking for Lbs to replace them and start early for akron.These three starting seniors on defense Provided a soundtrack for the team to listen to before Each and every game(More because of the Chorus).

[Youtube] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gG6f7eyX2BY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gG6f7eyX2BY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/Youtube]

14. Highyella

Highyella Walk On

Akron Zips 2013

After a very successful 2012,the Zips look to replicate what they did last season.There will be some new faces all over the feild.Starting off on offense with the departure of Wackerly our all conference QB(he shouldve been all american but the voters hate!) Will be replaced by True Fresh J Johnson.The offense is his, so dont epect a change here the season will come along depending on his play.Replacing our only all american D Torrence will be his backup T Humphrey who ended the season last year with a complete MCL tear,Will he stay healthy? we hope so, as we will probably be leaning on the running game alot more this year.4 outta 5 of our Olinemen will be back this year..hopefully they improved enough.Our starting 3 Wrs will be returing this year.

On the defensive side of the ball we have a new comer@ CB 2 new starters,Last seasons Nickleback J houser will be taking over the number 1 slot and Jr CB C.Brewer fresh out of Junnior college will be the number 2.second year CB H.Murphy just missed the number 2 slot by a inch,he will however be our main nickle and depending on the first two corners play, switch in and out. We have an Old Face at a new posiition B.Mclntosh will be our new ILB after not being able to find suitable talent recruiting, he was moved from DT to MLB.Our new OLB True Fresh J Smith will be starting this year after losing our Starting OLB to the draft/Graduation.

This season looks kinda bleak because the offense lost almost 60tds in total last year to the draft but we will see where we stand amongst the elite in College football by season end.All in all the Zips are ready for opening day.

15. Highyella

Highyella Walk On

Today we open Against Rutgers.Now coming into this game i knew they had a great front 7 but damn.We rushed the ball about 30 times but it felt like 50.Every yard we got we Had claw for.We also found out that last season MCL tear really slowed down Humphrey he couldnt get to the holes fast enough,And backup Alexander is no breath of fresh air either,So i guess we'll try to upgrade through recruits.

Defensively We gave up alot of big plays to screen passes and with tthat RB being the beast that he is,we looked horrible.Theres alot of Question marks for this team right now and thats not a good thing because we have to take a trip to play a tough Boilermakers team next week.If we cant get the run game going we will lose and lose big.Oh and yeah we lost our starting TE for a week most likely wont start