Alabama 2012 Season Preview (season 4)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by smace767, Dec 5, 2009.

1. smace767

smace767 Walk On

Alabama 2012 Season Preview (season 4)

The 2012 Alabama Crimson Tide
    Coach- smace767
    [​IMG]

Career record 28-7(2 and a half seasons), Bowl record 2-1, 2 SEC championships(2009, 2011)
    2009-11-3 SEC champs
    2010- 5-2
    2011-12-2 SEC champs

The Tide have a steady coach who is involved on both sides of the ball and runs a balanced offense.
    Coach outlook- "I think we are a year away from having a really good team. With that said i fully expect to win the SEC and play in a BCS Bowl this year."

Roster (bold = returning starter)

QB Jackson 95OVR 88 Spd 90THP(sr)
    HB Mitchell 93OVR 96 Spd 97 ACC(jr)
    FB Marrow 94 OVR 88 BTK 85 RBK(sr)
    WR Kelly 98OVR 99SPCTH 99JKM 99BCV
    (jr)
    WR Burns 85OVR 91SPD 90ACC(soph)
    TE Welsh 82ovr 75SPD 74RTE 78RBK(jr)
    LT Fluker 92OVR 94PBK 96RBK(jr)
    LG Weber 84OVR 85PBK 86RBK(soph)
    C Rogers 89OVR 83PBK 86RBK(fr)
    RG Alston 83OVR 82IBL 88rbk 86PBK(fr)
    RT McGrew 90OVR 90RBK 87PBK(soph)

LE Billingsley 93OVR 87STR(sr)
    RE Upshaw 95OVR 88SPD
    (sr)
    DTMoore 99OVR 94STR 92BSH(sr)
    LOLB Robinson 88OVR 88 SPD 86 BSH(jr)
    MLB Atchinson 91OVR 89SPD 92 BSH(jr)
    MLB Miles 89OVR 89TAK 86BSH 84PRC(soph)
    ROLB Duncan 83OVR 74BSH 85MCV(fresh)
    CB Kirkpatrick 95OVR 95MCV 91PRC(jr)
    CB Singleton 89OVR 92MCV 89ZCV(jr)
    FS Carter 85OVR 93ZCV(jr)
    SS Lester 90OVR 90PRC(sr)

6 SR starters (2 OFF, 4 DEF)
    9 JRs (4 OFF, 5 DEF)
    4 Sophs (3 OFF, 1 DEF)
    3 Freshmen(2 OFF, 1 DEF)

Roster note: I only have 7 Srs on the team.
    12 of the 22 starters are my recruits.

young OLINE Bama with great potential.

20 of 22 positions have a Freshman or soph backups again this year(HB and QB have players in every class).

The high injury positions(QB, HB, LB) have equal talent / quality backups to handle injuries unlike last year an injury will not change the game plan because the depth at those positions can execute the game plan enough to be able to stick with what we do.

Concerns: Recruiting will be hard since most top guys want playing time and i have 5 stars on the bench already. I have 46 freshmen and sophomores out of 68 players.

The balance of the roster by position and class means i only need one dude next year(FB), and with only 7 srs and two open scholarships, i will have a recruiting class of 11 players. They will be on the bench for 2 or 3 years because there are freshmen and sophomores in front of them.

My goal is to find those good 3* guys who come in 79 to 81, who dont mind sitting on the bench for a few years and getting better.

On the field Bama will employ a balanced offense working off of one of three different playbooks and the defense will employ multiple looks working off of two different playbooks this year.

The Offense will be lead by SR Star Jackson who has worked hard and has gotten bigger and stronger again this off season, while maintaining his speed and quickness.
    He improved his accuracy and his off season work with soph WR Kelly and fresh wr Burns should boost the passing game to a more consistent level.

Star Jackson
    [​IMG]

WR Kelly has the best hands on the team and can make spectacular catches look routine.

[​IMG]

TE Welsh is a good blocker and a good receiving TE. His back up is highly recruited Fr Joseph Heath, He is big and physical and is ready to contribute to the offense.

The ground game features JR Jason Mitchell who avg over 6 yards a carry last year and gained 1326 yds on the ground.
    The offensive line is very young and features just 2 returning starters.

The line will be led by Jr LT DJ Fluker.
    [​IMG]

The back up HB is Griffith a big back at 234 with uncanny speed for a 234 pound back. Also highly touted Danny Washington, the 252 pound HB with 90 spd and 92 agil, 92 ACC will see time in the back field. The lead block will be sr B Morrow who is a punishing blocker and good receiver out of the backfield.

The defense will be fast and physical. One of the key factors besides the 7 starters with B+ speed or better will be the ability to shed blocks. Across the board, Tide defenders play off of blocks to make plays again this season. Block shedding is a technique that Bama covets.

The defensive line should be very good this year with all american courtney Upshaw and the talented Undra billingsley as the book end Defensive ends.

All American DE Upshaw
    [​IMG]

DE Billingsley
    [​IMG]

The nose tackle Brandon Moore looks to anchor the Tide defensive front:
    [​IMG]

Jonathan Atchison will lead the team and move to the starting middle LB spot now that All American Dont'a Hightower has graduated. Atchison should be all over the field and he is a better cover LBer with more speed than the departed Hightower. He knows he will have to be a leader on a young LB corp.The other starters are a Soph MLB Miles, A RS Fr OLB Duncan, and a JR who did not play much last year in OLB Jason Robinson.

Jr MLB Atchison prepares to lead the LBers;
    [​IMG]

Also a key component is the versatility and the abilities of the secondary that they did not have before.

Dre Kirkpatrick and Mike Singleton are lockdown corners who can tackle and have the discipline to play zone. Kirkpatrick could be one of the premier CB's in college football with good speed and excellent man and zone coverage skills.

JR Cb Dre Kirkpatrick looks to lead a young secondary;
    [​IMG]

CB Lester who switched to cb last year, will return to his natural SS position for his sr season. He is a big smart physical Nickle Db with speed to cover. Highly rated Cb'sfrom previous recruiting classes, 5 star recruits Jeremy Smith, Tim Mitchell and Bobby Davis will provide more CB depth with redshirt soph Smith being the nickle cb.

SS Lester returns to his natural position;
    [​IMG]

The safeties feature a SR SS Lester who is very smart and great in reading the offense and a JR FS John Carter, who is very good at reading the offense considering his age. The #1 SS from the 2011 class, Maurice Webb will provide depth.

The kicking game is about avg now that four star Fresh Will Smith takes over the kicking duties. The tide should see much deeper kickoffs and FG range out to 45 yds with the young kid kicking this year.
    The return game was explosive last year with Maze and BJ Scott. This year RS freshmen WR Adam Burns will return punts and kicks and true freshmen Danny Washington will be the #2 returner. Less explosive but can still get positive yards and the occasional big play.

2. hoodlum10

hoodlum10 Walk On

First off I just wanna say this is by far the best preview I have ever read. As for your squad, I think it compares to the team LSU had a few years ago in real life. They had a bunch of young guys grow up together and eventually win the title. It was guys like Dorsey, Steltz, Jackson, Doucet, etc. You've got as good of young talent down there in Tuscaloosa as anyone in the country, once they all mature you very well could be the 2nd coming of that LSU team.

3. smace767

smace767 Walk On

Lineup changes

Due to Injury Alabama will have a few new starters for the remainder of the season.

QB= JR AJ McCarron and soph JJ Rice will split time at QB for the rest of the season. Star Jackson should be out four to six weeks and these two will just run the show the rest of the season.

HB= True Freshmen Danny Washington will slide into the starting RB spot and his back up will be soph HB Sam Barrett.

WR= Soph Darrell Wright will be the # 2 wr and Jason Mitchell will move to the #3 wr and FR Randal Thomas will be the #4 wr.

RG= Freshmen Ronald Simon will move to the starting RG spot. Fresh Nick Alston is getting out matched and while he has excellent technique, he only weighs 264 pounds, The 356 pound Simon should add needed size up front.

Not replaced yet, but on alert for demotion are the dline besides Brandon Moore. FS John Carter whos lack of speed has resulted in big plays this season.

Also the true Freshmen Kicker is close to being replaced as well, and for that matter the entire special teams coaching staff, and players are on notice to preform or be replaced.