All Members: Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Shaun Mason, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Guys,

As we reach the middle of the timeline between releases of NCAA Football, I am starting to gather my thoughs about how we have leagues structured on TSO. My goal for this to clarify my position on some items so when the management group makes decisions, I have a thought out answer to hard questions. As part of this clarification, I would like to do something the Japanese call "Y-Gaya". Basically, it is two-way communication. A discussion where no idea is bad and no discussion point is off limit. So, consider this your opportunity, as TSO members, to tell me what you think about how we structure the membership here.

I'll start you guys off:
    1. What should the criteria be for a Premier Member?
    2. What should the criteria be for a Premier League?
    3. What are we doing right at TSO?
    4. What are we doing wrong at TSO?

I want to emphasis this is the place to offer honest feedback. I trust our membership can keep things mature (it is what we do here) and constructive. I will personally be moderating this thread in case anyone gets crazy, but if you have an opinion, it behooves you to share it here. I consider it constructive feedback and I will not take it personally if you point out aspects of my job where I am lacking.

So, anyone have any feedback?

2. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I already detailed the one idea I had about improving TSO and that was that we need to make things more user friendly with respect to what leagues have openings. I think people come here and they see all the leagues and they just get a bit overwhelmed. The solution I pitched may not have been the greatest but I think the idea is solid nonetheless. We need to make it more user friendly to allow new members to be able to find openings more easily.

I know Drifter is going to say we need to go in the new member lounge and recruit - some commissioners do that some dont - I do - but I still think the goal is a good one.

I have no issue with the current premier system. People who want to pay to support TSO should have additional benefits. Its a privilege that can be revoked at anytime for douchebaggery without refund. Now should we maybe have an additional way to differential "veterans" or solid, active, sim owners? Probably. How you accomplish that, I don't know exactly. Possibly a peer review board and then signify those owners with something in their signature. The application process for it would be pretty rigorous as well.

I forget what you guys were saying about Premier Leagues - something about how the league defines itself as premier as much as the premier label makes it so - or something along those lines. That said, I think the current system is fine but I'm sure others will have some ideas.

I'll post more ideas as they come to me.

3. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

First off Shaun, I'm sure everyone would agree that you do a great job around here and this site wouldn't be what it is without your contributions.

My thoughts on your points:
    1. What should the criteria be for a Premier Member?
    I think the criteria for being a Premier Member is fine, however I think that there is still some confusion by newer members who sometimes immediately go Premier regarding what that gains them. I'm specifically referring to the occassions where complaints are lobbied that there aren't enough Premier Dynasty openings available to allow all Premier Members to be in one. My understanding (and feel free to tell me if it's wrong) is that a Premier Membership made one eligible to be in a Premier Dynasty, but did not guarantee one a spot in a Premier Dynasty. I don't know how that could be better communicated, but it stills seems to pop up as a confusion issue occassionally.
    2. What should the criteria be for a Premier League?
    Continuity, activity and content. The combination of those 3 things should differentiate the Premier Dynasty's from the others. I'll be honest, I think there are a few of the non-premier dynasty's that are doing a better job in that regard than those that are premier. I also think that newer members should keep in mind that the key to a great dynasty experience is the group you play with, and a non-premier dynasty can be as fun, if not more so, than a premier one if you have the right mix of guys.
    Obviously, you guys in the management group are doing a great job of setting up a community of gamers that can connect on various interests, not just football games. I think as 2011 progresses, this site will continue to grow. It's still my main internet stop each day.

As a side recommendation, I was talking with another TSO member the other night about the fact that it would be a great idea if, as we enter the time period where NCAA 2011 interest wanes a bit and NCAA 2012 is on the horizon, some of the more established members were willing to maybe sacrifice a bit of their NCAA time in their current dynasties to volunteer to head up new dynasty's for all the new members that are sure to flood the site in July/August of 2011. I know that BDSDigital did that with the East Coast Brawl, and that OD has turned into one of the best on the site. I for one would be willing to do this next year, and I think that the experience that some of us who have been on the site for a while can bring to some newer members can help to further strengthen the groundwork of TSO being the best place on the net to go to for a sim football experience.

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I've talked to and commended Brian for doing this. It's a huge help and in the best interest of the community for sure. Juggs is another guy who did the same thing. I can't thank those guys enough.

I wish way more of our community leaders would step up and do it.

5. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I would step up and head up an NCAA league but I'm too attached to the Rise and too busy running the TMFL to have time to dedicate to another NCAA league. I don't know if people would be looking to me to step up and run one anyways but if they are, that is why I am not - unfortunately.

6. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

How about a mandatory shut down of content in the dynasty forums in June for each dynasty to regroup fill in and set up for the next drop of ncaa. Clean up all of last years posts and start new.
    How about a Hall of Fame for best post great content good write ups ect ect.
    I like the mentoring idea I think that we have some strong members that play in a lot of leagues but unfortunately they are the same leagues so is there some way to split up the talent?
    Just a couple of thoughts

7. xGRIDIRONxGURUx

xGRIDIRONxGURUx GO DUCKS. WIN THE DAY.

ive not been here very long so i really dont feel like a valid voice of what should be done better or what is great, as... well... ive just not been here... so i cant answer anything about the first 2 as ive only been a premier member for a very short time... and ive not made it to a PD yet... ill give some first impressions on the last two...

the atmosphere is great, the site is good for the eyes, the structure of the forum as a whole is great... the in-depth recruiting and conversation and the ability to bring out that inner coach... all top notch... best site i have ever been affiliated with... hands down

4. What are we doing wrong at TSO?
    * i know its LOW LOW priority but a ranking system for members based on post would be cool as "1* recruit" is redundant... i have read your statements Shaun here somewhere that you would rather focus on Premier member features first, which does make sense obviously...

* i may have read over it and skipped and not seen it, but a section for requirements for people to start new dynasties for the site would be good...

thats really the only two things that could be improved... to build on a previous post (Keller) of determining those that are solid players/contributors... the ranking system could be used in that manner along with a sig marker...

but my #1 "RIGHT" for this site... are threads like this... kudos fellas...

"E"

8. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

this is already done by means of reputation. Having a fancy pants award in your signature means nothing. The respect you get from other members is what matters and that's really what you gain with your every day contributions. I think those of us that are in the community know who is "veteran" who is "solid and active" and who just forked over $12.

I agree. Thank you for what you do Shaun, and the rest of the management team.

As far as #2 goes, you are correct, but these are behaviors that are learned from good commissioners and good leagues to start their experience here. That is something that frankly was somewhat lacking this year. There were probably more mis managed leagues than well managed leagues in the non premiere sector this year and that can't continue to happen and have the community grow the way we would like.

Which is why I took the course I did with the East Coast Brawl. I would encourage anyone that is a foundation member, that has a little time to give, to give that time back to the community for new leagues this summer. I'll be doing it again of my own accord, and it is the best thing for all of us. I didn't do it for accolades, although I appreciate them. I do it because I can, and because I can help. I hope some of you will help this summer. To be totally blunt, it needs to be done.

But really I think things are pretty good. The only things I have suggestions with a passions are.

a. More foundations members need to step up and help get leagues established for ncaa 2012.

b. I think we need to set some ground work to limit the joining and quiting of leagues. It messes with the stability of the community as a whole and needs to be dealt with.

castortroy4206 out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

9. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I need some criteria for titles (100 posts = X, 1000 posts = Y, etc) and I could set those up.

10. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    So, do we start charging a nominal ($1) to join a league or what?

Besides manually tracking (which I have another idea for conduct I am fleshing out in my mind), do you have any ideas?

11. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Not sure on the numbers but you could use name like all American and heisman. Could be the upper tier posters.

Or stick with the recruit things....

12. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I personally don't care, I am open for suggestions. The "upper tier posters" are all premier members who can change their title.

13. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

to build on what castortroy's saying, maybe only let new members join leagues but not start them? At least until veteran commissioners run out of spots.

just an idea

14. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    That's how it is now.

15. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Was that how it was when the game dropped and we had the influx of members? I thought I remembered new guys starting leagues.

16. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    We had a ton of leagues, so I'm not going to say it never happened.

17. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I think 1-2 on the ps3 side did

18. DC

DC Shake n Bake

That's true. Not much point then

19. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It would only take me a few minutes, but I am not that creative.:)

20. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I think that new members to the site should be limited to one OD until they get through 1 full season and prove that they are not flashes in the pan, so to speak.

But I also think that is something that should be agreed to between all the site commishes and be monitored by the commishes, not ask management to do it for them.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    That is a good idea.

22. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I like that idea....that was a major problem on the ps3 side. I know the same people leaving killed 2-3 ODs almost simultaneously

23. xGRIDIRONxGURUx

xGRIDIRONxGURUx GO DUCKS. WIN THE DAY.

hey i agree... i caused some issues with a commish because of my over anxious compelling desire to join several dynasties when i got here... i handled it awkwardly so, first hand i feel that is a great idea to keep even those that dont understand the depth of each of the dynasties from making the mistake i did... i was a noob idiot and tried to join 3... and well with the summaries and recaps and recruiting, its better if new guys are held to one at first... i think it will also help with differen dynasties competing to stay the most active since new members will be more thorough on what OD they join since that will be the only one they can join at first... just some thoughts from a new guy that made a mistake...

"E"

24. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

To add on to limiting new members one OD for at least one season, I would just prohibit new people from becoming premier members until they establish themselves, and for them to fully understand what is expected from them. Make it like a one month or two month probation period.

25. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

the problem was more a lack of veteran volunteers (tisk tisk) but yes there were a number of newbs that started leagues and almost none of them worked out. Costing the community who knows how many good members that had a bad first impression of us.

I also like Dru's idea. However some veteran members are guilty of this too. For them I think they need to be more conscious of what leagues they join and the new guys should be limited for a period of time as Dru suggests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.