All serious old-school "dynasty guys" and dynasty bloggers please read

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Hellisan, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

All serious old-school "dynasty guys" and dynasty bloggers please read

This article is posted on the front page, but I'll post it here for the forum rats like myself. Some of you might know that in the "old days" before online dynasty, a lot of guys posted journals of their dynasties on various forums. The best way I've found to track one's dynasty is using Avid Manager. This article is about Avid Manager and includes both an interview with the creator of the site, as well as a tour of some of its features. Enjoy!

-----------------------

Avid Manager - Interview with the creator and short guided tour

Game News - by Hellisan - July 19, 2009 - 09:03 America/Phoenix - Be first to Comment!

With all of the new members that have recently joined at Tradition Football - as well as the number of existing members that might want to know more about it - I tracked down the creator of Avid Manager - www.avidmanager.com - for a quick interview.

For those who aren’t familiar with it, Avid Manager is a full-fledged dynasty tracker for hardcore dynasty guys who want a record of everything that happens with their team over the years. Avid Manager was originally created in 2005, and has gone through a couple of iterations since its initial release. The creator of Avid Manager, who goes by Mandibal on the website and the NCAA Strategies/Utopia Forums, takes the time to answer a few questions with us.

Hellisan: Mandibal, thank you for joining us. I have described the web site in my own words. How would you describe it? How did it come about?

Mandibal: First of all thanks for helping make more people aware of the site. The reason I created this site was to help other like-minded dynasty players keep track of all of their stats and the more people who know it exists the more that can use it. I think you described it very accurately. It attempts to be as complete a dynasty tracker as possible, beyond just game stats. It is the dynasty tracker for dynasty fanatics. As to how it came about, back when I started to really get into creating dynasty reports at what was then Utopia Football forums, I wanted an easier way to display my stats after the games. There were a few sites that let you enter stats for games and maybe even player season stats and attributes but you had to view that stuff on their site. My motivation then was to create a way to enter the stats and then spit them back out in a format I could post on a forum site. Being a web programmer myself I decided that the best way to make this happen was to create a site myself and then I would have full control to make it work how I wanted it to. Avid was born out of those early efforts and now it is a site that you can enter quite a few different stats into and get them back in a BBCode format for posting in forum posts.

Hellisan: What is the best way for someone who is new to Avid Manager to get familiar with the workings of the site and learn how to input data for their team?

Mandibal: I’d like to think that the site is so user friendly and designed in such a way that it will be completely obvious to everyone how to go about using Avid that it doesn’t need an explanation but I know that ain’t true. :) There is a help page that has a few Wiki entries that try to get people started. http://www.avidmanager.com/help I think the trickiest thing for most new people is the transition between seasons. There is an entry on the help page (Season Walkthrough) that tries to explain this better.

Hellisan: Well, the good thing is that the setup is pretty gentle. If you miss something, you can typically go back. You don’t have to do most things (during the season) in a particular order, for instance. It’s not like that one moment passed you by and now you’re screwed. I really enjoy that aspect of it. Of course, if there is anything a new user doesn’t understand, they can always go to the utopia forums at www.ncaastrategies.com, to the dedicated Avid forums in the dynasty section, and ask questions of a very knowledgeable group of guys. Right then. Next question. Are there any changes/improvements planned - or recently implemented - for the latest version(s) of the game?

Mandibal: Unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be doing too much to add new 2010 stuff to Avid. I have two young children and a third on the way this fall. I also began a freelance web development business this winter. Avid is going to be taking a back seat for a little while while I work out some RL time hurdles. The biggest update will come in the form of the default rosters for the 2010 game. I’m waiting for the named rosters to be completed and then I’ll make that update so everyone can start their dynasty more easily with a fully named roster. Beyond that I will probably only be working on bug fixes. I’m hoping to get more time at the start of the new year to really get back into heavy Avid development.

Hellisan: That’s one great reason to come to Avid right there. The default rosters are a huge time saver. And even though you (understandably) don’t have as much time for the site as you once did, I think it’s important for people to know that the site is rarely down and is still being maintained. In other words, people want to know that their data is safe….

Mandibal: I get that question all the time. Even if I completely stopped developing or updating it I will not be taking it down. People put a lot of time and effort into entering the stats and I understand that. Users will always be able to get their data. I still plan on adding a function to download your dynasty into an excel file. A way for users to get a data dump of their dynasty.

Hellisan: One thing I love about the site is that it works for just about anybody who runs a dynasty. Whether they just want to keep a record of their roster and scores, to capturing every single detail of the dynasty, the functionality exists for them to do that. Is there a specific dynasty that you would recommend people to check out to see what a dynasty record can be, using Avid? We’d love to post a link to it so people can get an idea.

Mandibal: Good question. Well my original Montana dynasty is an example of keeping complete stats for a long run dynasty but I did that one before I added recruiting. I think that Mr. Tennessee’s Tennessee Vols dynasty is a great example. http://ncaa.avidmanager.com/dynasties/Tennessee-42. It’s a 31 year dynasty and he uses a lot of the features available. This guy is one of the original users of Avid from way back before I even officially called it Avid Dynasty Manager. He also created the first set of default rosters for the site by hand. Now I usually get a roster file in excel from another person who created a Windows program to read the game save files. A lot easier but Mr. Tennessee helped out a lot in the early days with contributions like that.

Hellisan: Mandibal, best of luck to you with your new business venture and your family. Thank you for taking the time.

A Quick Guided Tour

For anybody who is reading who wants to get an idea of some of Avid’s features, I offer a short guided tour of Mr. Tennessee’s dynasty. Click the link above. You will be taken to a Season Overview page on Mr. Tennessee’s dynasty. You can see that Mr. Tennessee did a “Death Penalty†dynasty, wherein the team is starved of talent until it loses every game and becomes a 1-star team, at which point the dynsty is begun. In his eight season, Mr. Tennessee guided his team to their first national title.

If you click on any of the season links on the left-hand side, you will be taken to a page that provides links to all of the happenings in that season. On the right-hand side you’ll notice that season’s national champion, and underneath it, the default view is of the team’s schedule. Other tabs available here are the team’s stat leaders, the polls, the conference standings, and “season info†which displays the team’s captains for that year.

From the schedule tab, click on any game. You’ll be taken to a page that displays the box score, players of the game, a game stats summary, and the story (if any). For the most part Mr. Tennessee hasn’t filled out the stories, so you will see the standard headline. The gray bar above has a few more links for this game, including Statistics (detailed game stats), Scoring summary, Player Stats, etc. Now drag your mouse over the “back to season†tab at the top. A dropdown box appears. Click “reports.†On the right, under “dynasty reports,†click “best performances.â€ÂÂ

Best performances is one of my favorite features of Avid, and I really feel that is showcases the fun aspect of keeping track of all of your information. Here you will see a sortable list of the best performances in Mr. Tennessee’s dynasty - you can view by game, season, or career. You can see that the best single-game passing performance was by Patrick Herman in 2026; he threw for 561 yards and six touchdowns against Florida that year.

From the Roster page of any season, you can click on any player and it will give you his current season’s stats, but is also sortable by career, and gives a game-by-game breakdown of every game the player has played in, as well as his height, weight, hometown, and ratings for every season he played for you. For me, it’s just really nice to have a place to relive/review that great game, season, or player from seasons of yore.

Hopefully that gives you some idea of the features available and gives you a little more understanding about why I like it so much. I highly recommend it for anybody who wants to give a little extra in-depth touch to their dynasty report or team blog.

2. jfosh

jfosh Super

Thanks for posting this Helli I would have never known about this unless you told me about it a while back. Its a great place for all your data and records for stat hounds.

3. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

Avid is bliss.

I believe I may have played a small part in introducing Helli to it as well, if I remember correctly...but I may not.

I >LOVE< it and used it even last year when I did not actually post my dynasty, it makes things so much easier with its mass variances in code output options to post on boards.

I will be using it again on my Duke dynasty in The Trifecta this year. Many did a helluva job with this and it really is a good asset for the dynasty freaks that so many of us are.

GREAT interview/writeup/idea Helli!

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

However it went, I know that I was stubborn and it took awhile to convert me. I'm pretty sure you were one of the ones that convinced me to give it a look. And once I did, I was hooked! Thanks for the reply dude.

5. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Awesome job man. I really wish I had time to do a dynasty. I miss them from back in the day. Even with avid's help still couldn't keep up with it these days. But thanks for the article and look into mandible, the creator

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hey Jman...

Via email I talked to Paul and pitched an idea that I'd been thinking about (and I'm sure others have) for quite awhile. And that is, to simply have customizable labels over the 18 rating categories (other than OVR) for each position when you start a dynasty. If he was able to let people keep track of whatever 18 ratings they wanted to at each position, he'd literally never have to make a change to the ratings again. Even though he's completely busy, he said he'd take a look at the idea over the next month. That would be incredible, but then I'd be wanting to start my UGA dynsaty over again after it starts... hehehe...

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hey Jman...

Via email I talked to Paul and pitched an idea that I'd been thinking about (and I'm sure others have) for quite awhile. And that is, to simply have customizable labels over the 18 rating categories (other than OVR) for each position when you start a dynasty. If he was able to let people keep track of whatever 18 ratings they wanted to at each position, he'd literally never have to make a change to the ratings again. Even though he's completely busy, he said he'd take a look at the idea over the next month. That would be incredible, but then I'd be wanting to start my UGA dynsaty over again after it starts... hehehe...

8. Proof21

Proof21 Walk On

Awesome Helli..dynasty guys love Avid I know I do..makes everything oh so much easier. Though I do still write down every stat in my notebook (have a friggen closet worth of them).

9. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

That would be badass. Really badass. Seriously bad-ass!

Proofy!!!! Good to see you!!!