Allow Me To Introduce Myself

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by MartyWebb, Jul 18, 2012.

1. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Hey everyone, this thread will serve as a little get to know you process for everyone. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, interests, whether you like to take long walks on the beach, etc. etc. Pictures are encouraged, though not necessary.

Most importantly, tell us what you'd like to gain from being in Against the Grain

wahoogamer
    CTgotDaGameLokD
    Jolts57
    MS8403
    Fmode11
    TheGreatCV
    asurob
    GDip

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

I'll start it off.

[​IMG]

Hey fellas. As you may have guessed, my name is Marty.

I was raised in McKinney, TX, currently residing slightly south in Allen, TX. I work in the Restaurant industry, and have been for the better part of 6 years. I spent my first of two stints in Virginia back when I actually got into sports heavily. I got to watch Petr Bondra nearly every Capitals game, and also got to watch my Dallas Cowboys beat the Redskins EVERY GAME for the four and a half years I lived there. Needless to say, I wasn't too popular when I wore my Dallas Cowboys Starter jacket to school the next day. Once I moved back to Texas before high school, I continued playing Football and adopting back my favorite teams : Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Mavericks, Texas Rangers, Dallas Stars and the SMU Mustangs. Along the way, on my second stint in Virginia after High School I adopted Syracuse as my #2 school, because my best friend(who I've never seen anyone come close to his sports knowledge or passion) was from the area and a huge Orangemen(they will never be the Orange to me) fan.

I moved back to Texas in 2007, to eventually start getting my life together. Up until that point, I never thought about the future, what I wanted to do with my life, what kind of a job I'd like, or any of it. Years later, in the fall of 2011, I started my collegiate career, which promises to be frustrating, long but eventually the best payoff of my life as I'll be the first to graduate in two generations for my family. My major is Recreational Sports Management and a minor in Business.

As for Video Games, for a long time I was all about the fighting games. Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Tekken, so on and so forth. Then Gameday '98 happened, and my friend Chris and I would play it for hours on the Playstation. With the 4-way add-on, we'd have 4 sometimes 5 players all on the same team, just crushing the CPU. It was fun, and the way I learned how to play until NFL 2k3, when I finally turned into a sim-player. Soccer, Football, Baseball, NBA, Lacrosse, NHL, and just about any sports game that comes out I'll play, or at least try.

Hobbies include constantly starting new Dynasties/Franchises/Coach Modes. Watching about any sport with any team. I golf on occasion, enough to keep all my bad habits, not enough to be good at it. The occasional drink, but moderation is my name of the game in that situation. Movies and TV Shows are high on my list, and when I get a chance to play music, I'll go at it for hours.

As for Against the Grain, heading the operation I hope to get to know you guys and build relationships. Also, with it being a new member league, I hope to help groom you guys for what is an amazing community here at TSO. Whether it be game style, what to do and not to do, all of the above. I hope to keep this league going for a long time, and I hope most of you stick around and build relationships with one another so that you won't have to constantly jump from league to league, which is what some newer members of the site tend to do.

3. asurob

asurob Walk On

Hell, I'm Rob. Live in Tempe Arizona and work in the sports industry. Up until december I was the long time video coordinator at Arizona State *(19 years)* but after Dennis Erickson got fired the new guy brought his own video coordinator in so out the door I went. I still work at the university in athletics and handle everything from volleyball to track and field. Not a bad gig, not football, but then again the idea of not work 18 hours a day 7 days a week aint bad either.

Long long time gamer (commodore 64 computers back in the day and I still have the original intelivision that I use to play football on with my dorm mates in the early 80s) so long that I have probably played every PC game out there. Never played much NCAA online mostly due to time constraints with my gig but played my share of the game at camp and on road games so I don't think Im terrible.

Married with 3 kids (two of them are out of the house now) two dogs and a cat. The wife tolerates my gamer habit...in her mind its cheaper then spending all my time at the bar ...win win.

I included a picture

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

Well.... I'm Chris originally from Detroit Rock City. I was born in the suburbs and raised in the fine state of Michigan. Enjoying the outdoor life playing sports, etc. I went to school at Michigan State and am very proud to be a Spartan. Some say I bleed the green and white, but what other ugly colors would you rather bleed?! C'mon man. I played soccer at MSU for a couple years and after I graduated the GF and I moved to Houston, Texas (H town). We've since gotten married last Summer and own a home in the Heights and enjoy citing living.

Currently, my latest endevour is I am registered to race in Ironman Texas in May of 2013. For those not familiar with Ironman races (triathlon) it is a combination of completing consecutive distances of swimming, biking and running. I usually race shorter distances once a month ranging from short sprint events which take about an hour to the International distance races (Olympic distance you see in London) that take about 2 and a half hours.

Obviously this endevour requires ungodly amounts of training. I usually train anywhere from 8-18 hours a week. This puts a huge strain on my schedule but am committed to the OD leagues I am in.

I sit at a computer all day (I do contract in Oil & Gas industry) so the only part I need to handle of the leagues this year is the actual game at home. I can keep up with everything else throughout the day online. Thank you Dynasty Wire.

Lastly I am a super sarcastic, love to have a great time, Detroit sports fan. Lions, Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons. The amount of banners cumulative between those four teams I would put against any other city. Sweet you have one good team, well we've had 4 - and often more than 1 at one time! Call me a homer but it is what it is.

EDIT: Pet Peeves: Cowgirl fans, scUM fans and "celebrity" magazines.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GDip

GDip Walk On

I'll be a bit shorter than those so far. My name is Gary and I'm from Denver, Colorado. Love the city and the mountains but have become more attached to the ocean these days. I've spent 2 of the past 3 years living in a Coastal City in S. Korea and love it. Going to the beach and scuba diving have become big parts of my everyday life now. I will be heading back sometime late this summer or early fall but that wont have much of an impact on my dynasty leagues. When I'm on gaming at night it'l be morning here, and when I wake up, I can bang out some games with you all while your playing at night. My time overseas has allowed me to travel through most of Asia and am looking to get around central and south america next. Although the beaches in S.E. Asia are hard to stay away from!

Football is by far my favorite sport, but I'm interested in them all. If it's a competition I'm in. I've done online dynasty's in the past but have only had 1 that felt like it lasted. Somehow they all seem to flatten out at the end of season 1. So hopefully we can keep this thing going for awhile.

I look forward to putting together a good dynasty and hope we all enjoy beating each other up!

• Like Like x 1
  6. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

CT from Washington DC, Married with Kids (Daughter and son). Living in Fort Wash Maryland. Been gaming since Atari in the late 80's. I'm in leagues to get sim comp, cant deal with the BS lobby shyt that goes on. Prefer sports games, but I run COD with a couple of the homies.

All about my HOMETEAMS, regardless of the record. Skins, Wiz, Nats, Caps, Hoyas, Terps, whatever. Usually online during the evenings, but often I'm using my box to stream music or movies, gotta get my moneys worth before the ring of death, ya know. Down for scrims just hit me on Live.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheGreatCV

TheGreatCV Walk On

I'm Carlos, in Orlando FL. I work full time as a child protective investigator for the state (got lucky today and did not have to remove some kids). I've been doing this since April 2011. Its an interesting job, needless to say. This is my first "real job". Before this I worked as a Loss Prevention Investigator and in a shoe department in a department store. I graduated from UCF with my Master's Degree in Criminal Justice in 2010, but did not want to become a cop. I want to end up working with the Feds as an investigator.

I'm not really from anywhere as I was an "Air Force brat" growing up. I've lived in the Philippines, Guam, Japan, California, and Missouri. I am a huge sports fan. My teams, through the good and bad are the UCF Knights, 49ers, Cubs, and Magic (who need to just trade D12). I also root for FSU. I am also a huge soccer fan.

I was all over the Madden online dynasties for 10 and 11, but I never got into 12. I've also had the NCAA games, but never tried the online dynasties. I've always gotten enough satisfaction just playing the dynasty on my own or with a roommate. I decided to look for an online dynasties this year because I noticed I was using my xbox more as a netflix player than anything else. Other games that I got really into were Mortal Kombat, FIFA, Halo, and GTA.

I'm looking forward to this dynasty and can't wait to have some exciting games.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MS8403

MS8403 Walk On

619_763084208130_2082139494_n.jpg
    Hello everyone, my name is Matt (pictured on the right of course). On the left is my Fiance. I just recently got engaged, so I guess that's a good thing? I currently live in Columbus, OH. I've lived here ever since I came up to go to school in 2007. I graduated from The Ohio State University in 2009 with a Operations Management degree and got a job not long after as a Production Planner. I plan production lines for interior automobile parts. So, if you have a Honda Civic, Acura, or Accord there's a good chance the company I work for supplied either the Headrest, Armrest, or Center Comp in your car.

I'm an avid gamer. I'm currently playing MW3, Skyrim, and NCAA Football 13. I have to admit that MW3 takes up the majority of my time at the moment. I guess you can say I'm addicted to it, lol. I enjoy watching movies (Gladiator being my favorite of all time) and a lot of TV shows (The Sopranos, Deadwood, Game of Thrones, insert any other HBO Show here). At the moment, I'm on a really big Maynard James Keenan kick. In my eyes, the man doesn't make bad music. He's a genius. Everything from Tool, A Perfect Circle, and Puscifer is constantly playing through my iPhone. I also listen to a lot of Eminem and Drake.
    I have a Yellow Lab (named Brutus, of course!) who is basically my child. So, no kids for me for a long time. I just turned 28 and I still enjoy my freedom too much. If that's selfish, oh well!
    I look forward to competing with everyone is this dyansty, although it feels weird not playing with Ohio State for once, lol. I look forward to the challenge though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

Great write up.

One thing - best football is played in the SEC? C'mon man. 47-35 games are not football. Although I do relish a good Alabama or LSU defense the rest of the league relies on offense purely.

I'm a purest. Big Ten or bust. Ground and pound. But now they let old scum bag Urban Meyer in the league who knows. I hope Ohio State loses every GD game.

10. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

And we got a Buckeye in the house??! Couldn't be related to Will Clinton and the tattoo shop :rolleyes:? Hmmmmm

Oh good god.....
    What's worse than a Wolverine?
    A buckeye.
    A what?
    A buckeye.
    But what's a buckeye?
    Nobody cares

Go Green

[​IMG]

11. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

I don't think the SEC necessarily has the most exciting games year after year but the SEC certainly has the best talent right now. It's hard to argue vs 6 straight national championships...Bama's dominance of late, LSU, etc. Last year if not for playing each other the SEC would have had 1, 2, and 3.

Anyway, back to myself. I'm 25 and a former Seaman. After high school I let some recruiting prick talk me into signing the next four years of my life away. I spent the next two on a carrier and that was actually pretty fun. The travel was great, met a let of interesting people and some great camaraderie, but I'm a family man at heart so I got out after my first tour. I have 2 sisters with a nephew and 2 nieces and they're pretty much the reason I wanted to come back home.

For the past few months I've been working as a foreman for an interior remodeling group but I guess like every other job, overworked/underpaid, so I just started a new manufacturing job yesterday working for a food processing facility. The hardest damn night of my life. Nothing the military put me through was even close to a night in that plant hah, but it was a damn good workout and I think it'll get better. I also just started going to school. Thanks to my Navy training and other classes I took in their programs I came out with about 50 credits, so should have my AA in a few months.

When I'm not working or hanging out with friends/family I'm usually playing rugby, basketball, or gaming. I recently joined the Daytona Beach Rugby Club and it's been a blast. I also play basketball at the Y every couple of days. I used to be a hardcore gamer, like into WoW and ridiculously addictive games like that, but nowadays I just play NCAA, Madden, and Starcraft 2 fairly casually.

*I left out the best football game ever...that I still pick up from time to time, NFL 2k5

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  12. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

I'm also a YMCA baller. I play at the downtown Y in Houston with some former AAU guys. I usually swimming 3x/week there training and that can be lonely underwater in the pool so I like to get out there and listen to some of the funniest smack talk in the universe.

I just sit on the perimeter or run interference, haha. Being 5'7" doesn't help :eek:

13. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

Nice man. Most of the guys I play with are either in high school or over 40 so there isn't exactly a ton of competition, 6'4 here :)

14. MS8403

MS8403 Walk On

How in the world can a Michigan State fan hate Ohio State more than Michigan? It must be because you are more successful against them? Correct? ;)

15. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

16. MS8403

MS8403 Walk On

Strong and healthy...

[​IMG]