Alright computer gurus I need your help again

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Hellisan, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Alright computer gurus I need your help again

Helli here, with another in a long line of cpu difficulties, I swear to god.... UGH.

I got no words!

I have an HP Pavilion with an AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core Processor

8.00 GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce 9100 on-board chipset GPU

Pegatron M2N78-LA motherboard

I run dual monitors with different resolutions

64-bit OS, came as Vista, I upgraded to Win7.

Worked fine for awhile. I actually tested it using the Performance Information and Tools in Windows which does a little test of different aspects and gives you a baseline number (the worst aspect of your PC) with regards to:

-Processor
    -Memory (RAM)
    -Graphics
    -Gaming graphics
    -Primary Hard Disk

It was originally around a 4.4 with of course the graphics being the weak spot, the GeForce 9100 is really low end.

But then I noticed that when I'd play music it started to stutter.. or hesitate. Then videos became unwatchable unless I had them really small on the screen. Like... it kept getting worse. The temps weren't an issue I monitored those.

Then I started randomly getting the black screen of death, the machine would then go into a repair mode when I restarted.... I never figured out what the problem was because it couldn't fix it. But eventually it started again and became semi-stable.

So then I start getting blue screens where the machine times out when doing tough graphics chores (like watching ANY movie).

let's suffice to say that I've been all over the forums reading and trying to figure out what my problem is, I've read TONS of fairly similar problems with no solutions that really suit me. I've downloaded drivers up the ass.... I've tried everything.

You can turn off the process where it shuts itself off and see if it totally crashes but I don't want to do that.

motherboard layout

So with my PC extremely unstable and no obvious fixes after an entire weekend of trying various things which I'm not even gonna get into here.... I checked the basleline performance score again... It was like a 1.2....

Ok so it was such a hassle and I found so few likely solutions that I backed up all of my files on an external and just reverted to Vista with my recovery disks.

The system was now stable but still scored a 2.0. Much lower than it should.

(don't tell me... I know.... ) Just out of curiosity, I turned the system off, took it apart, and blew the dust out (very little dust, it's only a few months old). I also unclamped the heatsink and re-attached it, in case it was slightly off.... It looked fine, but I did it anyway. Remember, heat was never a problem according to the program I was tracking it with...

I didn't re-apply any thermal sealer or whatever, and there didn't appear to be much (if any ) on there from before.

So after doing that.... It's scoring a 4.3 and I loaded up the most gigantic movie I could find on my computer and it's running perfectly full screen.

I guess my question now that I get to it, is...

what do you think was wrong? Dust? I mean it was so little dust that I did it right here at my work station didn't even take it to a bench or anything.

Secondly, could the fact that I didn't re-apply any thermal sealer hurt me later? Should I take apart again and re-do that?

Third question: I wouldn't mind upgrading this pc anyway....... It has a PCI Express x16 graphics (for a graphics card)... Where would you guys look to find the best option balancing performance and price in a new graphics card? Would it just be plug and play?

Ugh, I spent several hours on this crap this weekend.

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    1) When you were on the motherboard did you pop out the CMOS battery? I don't really have an explanation about why it is running better. What kind of temperature readings were you getting?

2) I personally would reapply thermal grease...it makes the heat transfer WAY more efficient.

3) Go look at Tom's Hardware's Graphics Charts and get the best video card you can get for the cash you are willing to spend.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Thanks man.... It's hard being a complete idiot with computers.... Appreciate the patience....

Actually right now it's running hotter than I ever saw it running before but I'm using speedfan now, was using a different one before. Cores are running 28-51 deg. c, CPU is at 83 c... I think it was more like 65-70 before.

Guess I'll go get my thermal paste tomorrow....

edit: No I didn't mess with the battery...

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Were any of your RAM modules loose? Clicking those back in could have definitely effected your performance.

I think I've been on here before complaining about HP's PC products. You really have to double check everything. I hate using their software as well, it's loaded with shit that does nothing but slow down or completely alter your computer's functionality.

Anyway, get a tube of this stuff. Scrape off and reapply this stuff between your processor and heat sink. Not have ample (or even good) thermal compound will greatly effect the amount of heat that is conducted to your heatsink. If there is a big enough heat differential (we are talking about non-dense metals and semi-conductors) you can see different rates of thermal growth to wear they actually separate themselves from one another. It's not common, but I have seen it happen. My cousin's computer kept crashing, come to find out that the residual stresses in his heat sink from manufacturing and bad cradle design allowed the copper to warp and eventually pop out of the cradle. The chance that this is your problem is minute, but like I said, I have seen it before.

Do you remember what score was fluctuating? Was it your processor or just graphics? Your graphics card shouldn't effect music playback (but then again, I've seen some really f-d up driver configurations on HPs) and unless you are playing Blu Ray's, movies shouldn't be a problem with that machine either. Another thing to check is to see how much shit HP has running in the background. If the machine is allocating more resources to that stuff than to the movie, that's a problem as well.

Hopefully whatever you did when you were in your case fixed your issue, though.

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

It's so bad with me that I don't even know what those would look like or where they'd be located.... Next time I get in there I'll check those if I figure out where they're at.... I did just sort of tighten everything up but i didn't see anything unplugged.

6. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]
    (This is not my picture.)

This is what a RAM module looks like. If you notice the white levers on the side, those are the setting tabs for the module. Generally, when the RAM is pressed down all the way and seated properly, you will hear a click and those levers will snap into place. You can always remove the RAM by pushing the levers down (it will almost always self-eject). Once removed you can set it back in the exact same DIMM slot (important) and press firmly until the setting tabs snap into place.

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

i have an HP Desktop and I ran that test........my video card sucked so I bought some ATI card on sale at Best buy for like $99 and the grade went wayyy up and I have never had a problem with the PC except the fan can be loud at times.

Any monkey can install a video card....

8. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I pretty much agree with everything that has been said thus far.

Reseat your CPU with thermal paste. A little goes a long way.

The bottleneck of your machine certainly appears to be the on-board video card. It is unnecessarily chewing up resources that could be better utilized elsewhere. Get yourself a PCI-e card from www.newegg.com, its a very straight forward install process. Install the drivers and you should be good to go. Of course, if your machine is working fine, why bother changing anything? Unless you want to do some gaming on it, you may not need to - unless of course your problems resurface.