An Opportunity

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

An Opportunity

Guys,

I wanted to keep you guys in the loop about something.

I've been a bit absent here lately, but that's only because I've been working on a number of things behind the scenes.

First, a little history:

Last year, I ran a set of leagues here called the OFFL (old fellas football league). It got pretty big, and now exists as "The Experience" - an xbox premiere league, and "The Legacy" - the top-listed non-premiere league here. We even had cool logos and sigs:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

But that's ancient history. This year, things have been tougher. When things get tough, sometimes it's good to go back to what you know works. In the OFFL, here's what worked:

We had a three conference setup, so user games typically scheduled themselves. Out-of-conference match ups were also a very big deal, since they didn't happen as much. Good for drama, and great for year-to-year rivalries. This setup worked well, and went the distance, as you can see.

Also, I have been talking with some other commishes about combining active leagues in a way that brings proven guys together, rather than taking risks with new guys and dealing with massive turnover. I'll be adding only by recommendation from now on.

To be blunt - some guys are going to be evaluated based on activity, and likely removed. We have already discussed this, and no one is going to be shocked. Basically, if I haven't already approached you, you're fien as you are. If things work out, we'll be adding proven guys that are vouched for by other commishes, and with the aim of achieving the three conference setup that includes the ACC, SEC, and Big Ten. Notre Dame fits this concept well, since they can schedule anyone, and can therefore fill in gaps in user schedules. It works.

Most of us will be untouched by this. We are working out the details, and should be able to bring a proven formula to TDL in the very near future. I just thougth I'd let you guys know what's been going on, so you don't think I'm slacking.

Peace,

AG

2. Goose

Goose Walk On

I like it, and am willing to give you back OSU. I'd probly stay in the Big Ten if allowed to stay.

3. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I for one welcome this change. I recently started looking for additional dynasties to play in to see what was out there. I want a good active dynasty and frankly guys we haven't been one for weeks. To those of you who might not be with us much longer I am sorry to see you go. Many of you have been great guys and classy players, but the name of the game is a community effort. We all need to up our game and make TDL a winning combo. When the changes come down let's do our best to represent this core group. Maybe we can be awesome again.

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The mostly like change is that Easy moves to Penn State, and I take the Irish. That way, I can schedule anyone. Helps to evaluate play and make sure we're all keeping it sim. If we could add a Michigan, that would be hella sweet, no?

I'm hoping to keep thing as in place as possible. All the change around here has been difficult to handle.

This change, I assure you all, will be the last. I know it works, so if we have issues, those issues will be with members, and will be addressed accordingly. The system will remain untouched.

4 ACC - 2 atlantic, 2 coastal
    4 SEC -2 east, 2 west
    3 Big Ten
    Notre Dame

This should be seamless for almost all of us. It was a lot of fun when we did it before, and made for some great rivalry games, depending on who play what schools.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Also, I see most of this as a season-end kind of thing. We may add guys , but team changes will probably be held off until the offseason. There are teams contending for championships. I don't want to screw that up if I don't have to.

6. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I'm cool with this. I could be assigned a team for all I care, I just want a little stability. The surprise fall-outs (Mullen) and slackers (Luch' and 'Dog) are annoying. By restructuring and adding proven players, the league will no doubt improve. It's all about the core leaders. New members will also feed off that.

Like Easy said, let's get back to being awesome. I want to play many, many seasons with an top-notch group of guys.

7. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I am contending until the sim tonight. I know I am going to lose that and it pisses me off.

8. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Well to be honest with you Arch I would like to jump to PSU asap to get started on recruiting over there. If this causes a problem let me know.

9. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Sounds good as long as I can stick with lsu and not switch teams again. Finally got the tigers ranked again!

10. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I think keeping you as the Tigers is in the plans. We want to move as little as possible.

11. Goose

Goose Walk On

As long as you can wait to jump until after tonight. ;) lol

12. Goose

Goose Walk On

Arch, you could take the Buckeyes and I can switch either ND or Iowa It's no big deal.

13. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Now I don't want you beating down my Lions like that! lol

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Only problem is there is a user game with OSU this week, and I'd hate to dump a new opponent on Goose at the last minute. Mind changing after the advance, and letting Goose play the CPU? If so, I could make your change after the sim, and mine if you lose. I won't take over an undefeated team. It's kind of cheesy late in the year. If I won it all, I couldn't claim any real victory, if you know what I mean. After the sim, you become Penn State. If Utah wins, I become ND. If ND wins, I stay put and play it out.

Cool?

15. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I don't mind. If it's what you really want, I'll do it for you. But it's not a necessary thing at all.

16. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Well let me see what the sim does for me and Utah. If I win let me play it out. I think PSU has a top 5 class anyway, and I did set up that board WAAAAY back so they are my guys anyway. If ND wins let me play it out and see if I can bring home the bacon. If I lose I jump to PSU and move forward. It is a bit of a dickbag deal but if I have a shot at the MNC then I might as well take it, I may never get that close again.

17. Goose

Goose Walk On

I'll stay with the Buckeyes.

18. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

If all this happens, it looks like we have:

2 big ten (OSU, PSU) - Need to add one Big Ten team

3 ACC - 1 open in the Coastal (Clemson, FSU, GT taken)

2 SEC - 1 open in the east and west (UF, LSU taken)

1 MWC - who might or might not be moving.

1 Indy - ND.

That's 9. We add three in the open spots, and play out the year. I already got in touch with some great guys. We'll see what they say.

2 SEC openings, one Big Ten opening, and one ACC Coastal Spot (Hint: Miami completes the Florida Triangle, which is always fun to play).

19. bdub

bdub Walk On

Guys I would like to do this and regardless of the SIM I would like to get started with it right away. Being a west coast guy I don't really identify with teams on the east coast so that kind of sucks for me as the fun of this game has always been taking control of a team I have followed and been a fan of. The only team on the east coast that I am a fan of is FSU but since they are taken I guess I would be willing to take over Miami.

20. TD351

TD351 Walk On

Just a thought, but could we get Bdub on a west coast team and move it out of it's conference to "Independent"? Just thinking that having people with teams that they really care about is better for the overall health of the dynasty. This may not fit with the format...but just thinking out loud here.

21. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

As a west a coast guy does Michigan do anything for you? Big team in rose bowl history. Otherwise Miami would be good.

22. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Miami completes a nice triangle with UF and FSU.

If we did get a Michigan, MSU, or Purdue, there's a yearly ND tie in. Same goes for BC in the ACC, though FSU and GT have been on ND's schedule many times. It could work a bunch of ways.

Here's what I'm thinking - in this setup, the larger conferences are going to have some guys playing more users in a year than others, since not every team plays every other. We fill in these "gaps" with ND, depending on who has how many user games each year. If you're short in a season, you might end up playing a Big Ten team out of conference, or you might end up getting a visit from the Irish. This has worked well in the past.

We can make the changes right away for those who want to, and hold off for those contending. We'll see what's what after the advance.

23. bdub

bdub Walk On

I think I will go with Miami as that will setup a fun rivalry with the other Florida schools. I would like to go ahead an make the switch after the advance as I am out of the MNC hunt at this point anyways.

24. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Sounds good.