Andrew Luck to Stay at Stanford

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by ChildPlease9, Jan 6, 2011.

1. ChildPlease9

ChildPlease9 @HKSeahawks

2. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    And the Carolina Panthers should get ready for another shitty season...LOL

3. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

What a fucking dumbass!! Andrew “Leinart” Luck just passed up millions so he could get an architectural design degree, what a freakin loser.

:(

4. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Dude must have a thing for asian chicks.

5. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

as a Carolina fan, it doesn't shock me. It's how the Panthers draft luck has gone forever. Maybe they will take DaQuan Bowers

6. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

7. Blaza

Oh well. At least Carolina is still looking good on JaDaveon.

[​IMG]

8. Blaza

hahahah well played

9. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Who?

10. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

The kids family apparently is pretty well off, and his career would probably get killed going to the Panthers, so I don't see how this is such an awful decision. Why in the world would he want to play in Carolina? A ton of young players with a bad offensive line and a cheap owner who seems to want to do nothing but cut costs.

Plus, comparing him to Leinart is kind of a joke. Leinart's skills were being questioned even in his junior season (especially in regards to his arm strength), while I have yet to read/hear any NFL expert say anything remotely negative about Luck. He seems to be the most sure thing QB prospect since Peyton.

11. Blaza

Stud DE and #1 overall HS player in the nation. Sorry I should've clarified, South Carolina.

12. Blaza

Bro the decision is idiotic. The rookie cap is happening plain and simple. Why leave $50+ million on the table when anything could happen next season. Leinart's skill was being questioned but his draft position was not. He would've been top 3 pick for sure. And the killed thing doesn't make sense every team with the #1 pick is going to be bad. I bet Locker is wishing he never came back to school--he is going to lose 10s of millions by coming back. I don't care how well off you are, that is not a financially responsible decision. When you're the guaranteed #1 pick you don't go back to school.

/endrant

13. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Blaza does have a point about the rookie wage scale but at the same time there is a lot of uncertainty involving the NFL and the CBA so that could be a huge factor as well.

I don't think Luck is going back because its Carolina. Next year it could be the Bills or Cincy or Carolina again or just about any bad team really - theres no weight in that argument.

14. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

It's hard to argue with the decision when you look at the NFL track record of underclass QBs vs QBs who entered as seniors. That being said, I'd take the money. But there's a lot more money to be made in the long run if Luck lives up to his potential and he must believe that playing another year at the college level will help him live up to that potential. Also, Carolina is about as bad a situation in the NFL for Luck to be put in.

15. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

The downside to all of this is that we don't get to see Mel Kiper eat crow when Carolina would have drafted him.

16. Blaza

That's the thing though, the NFL is not really about long term money right now. The biggest payday is almost always the huge rookie contract these guys are getting, that's why you see rooks being the highest paid players on most teams. And I disagree with Carolina being a bad situation--there are some bigtime pieces there--decent o-line, two top 15 RBs, some good talent on defense. This year the 'Cats had a terrible o-coordinator, rookie QB, and half the team was the team was on IR.

17. Dru50

Blaza, there's no guarantee even if he comes out this year that he won't be impacted by a rookie wage scale. There has been a ton of talk that the NFL very well may move the draft to later than April if needed to get a new collective bargaining agreement reached.

If the kid wants to stay in school it's his decision and he'll live with it. With all the uncertainty in the NFL for next year at this time, Luck isn't going to be the only underclassmen who could be a 1st rounder who stays in school.

You're just bitter because I'm guessing you are a Carolina fan and already had your jersey ordered. It's ok, I'm sure Blaine Gabbert will be a good fallback.:p

18. Blaza

This is absolutely correct. :(

19. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

Carolina doesn't have a coach and they are going into frugality mode.

20. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I'm glad he stayed. Makes having to watch all these Pac 10 blowouts week after week a lot more enjoyable.

21. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

It's a good point. If I was Jake Locker I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I left all that jack on the table.

But from everything I've heard about this kid he want's to be an architect....so? As long as he doesn't get hurt he'll be the #1 pick next year as well. It's not like he's a flash in the pan or something, he was highly touted before the season and surpassed the hype. If he's really that good of a prospect he'll be in prime position to cash in next season.

and there isn't any weight to the team argument. The team with the #1 pick next year will be just as bad as Carolina was this year. There's never anything to that argument. Besides, if Carolina had a suitable qb on the roster they wouldn't have the #1 pick.

22. Dru50

For those saying there isn't any weight to the bad team argument, John Elway and Eli Manning say hi.

It may not be a huge consideration, but none of us know whether it did or did not factor into his decision.

23. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

yeah but those were situations dealing with the front offices and stuff, not necessarily the skill of the team. New York stunk as well and Eli was happy to go there.

24. Dru50

Agreed, however everything I hear about the Panthers these days is how the owner of the team is looking to cut costs. How do any of us know that part of Lucks thought process didn't include that he may not want to go to a team with ownership who may be unwilling to spend what it takes to win?

That's all I'm trying to say...

25. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I totally agree.