Announcement: Season 1 Draft - Sunday 4/22 @ 8:30 PM EST

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by fuzzyl0gic, Apr 9, 2012.

1. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Alright everyone, mark your calendars. I was going to try and rush through the rest of the season so we could get to the draft by this Sunday, but upon further reflection, I just don't think we could possibly make that deadline. Rushing through the process is what got us into this mess, so we'll take a slow and measured approach this time.

Given our 48 hour max window of advances, all the way through the superbowl, we should easily be done with season 1 by next Friday or Saturday at the latest. That will give you a few days to get your roster down to 47 players for the draft, and to reflect on your team needs. I will provide further information as we approach the draft.

2. AzureEffect

AzureEffect Walk On

I DO think that if the Playoffs fall on the weekend that there should be multiple rounds played like last season; I think we got through Divisional, Conf Championship & SuperBowl in one night. Then we can take our time on the Offseason stuff but no reason to "drag out" the playoffs when there are less games to be played than a normal advance.

3. fuzzyl0gic

I mean if we magically get done by this Sunday night, that'd be great and we could do the draft @9:30 then...but that's a lot of games to squeeze in.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AzureEffect

AzureEffect Walk On

I dont think there's a need to rush to the Draft/Offseason, Im just saying we saw how quickly things could go with how it played out last Playoffs when guys were getting in multiple games in one night. That way we could stretch the offseason out over the weekdays and do the draft NEXT weekend or just play it how it comes. I just hope Im not alone when I say I hate to see the Playoff advances take longer than a regular season advance when it's a more concentrated pool of games.

5. fuzzyl0gic

I gotcha.

6. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

so for us newer TMFL members how long should we expect the draft to take ? also do we communicate with other members with anything other than TSO / XFN ?

7. Ghost

Ghost Before the rollieee!

d
    draft usually takes about 1 hour to 1:30, and XFN has a chatroom we can use during the draft. You have to sign up for something called chatango though

8. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

How do you find your team's financial info and how can you look at the contracts for each individual player?

9. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

XFN site , once you open the roster you will see team salary cap info above , click on individual players and you will see link for salary info

• Like Like x 1
  10. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

think your dreaming man lol

last time draft was like 4 hours haha

11. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

Maybe for the 1st round it took around 3 to 4 hours to get through 3 rounds and finished the last 4 the next night.

12. Ghost

Ghost Before the rollieee!

Wow why does it take so long lol?? it usually takes only a hour to a hour and a half in my other lg and we are a full 32 too

13. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Its usually like 2hr30m, commish has to pick for CPU teams and most people don't draft past round 5.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

alot of that is due to coaches trading picks etc as we go

15. fuzzyl0gic

Yeah, I'm not going to allow that. I still have to come up with the logistics (I want one central chatroom we are all in, not half the people in skype, etc.) - like a time limit for your pick of each round, but the draft order will be known way ahead of the actual draft - so if you want to do any draft trading, it needs to happen before the draft.

If people don't make their pick within the time limit, I will make it for you.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

I understand logistically/time wise thats better but you never know when a player might fall. Kind of sucks if you'd like to move up to nab someone and you can't.

17. fuzzyl0gic

Not sure I follow you. You'll know the draft order and be able to view the draft class well before the actual draft, so why not make trades then?

18. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Yea but you don't know who is going to pick who before hand. What if a player you really want drops down further than you think they should, you wouldn't be able to swing a last minute trade to move up and get him.

19. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

i can see both sides of the argument like u may lose out on your targets and have to make moves to acquire different players

20. fuzzyl0gic

Ah ok, I might allow that but it would have to be super fast (3 minutes tops). I remember in previous drafts we had guys holding up a pick 20+ minutes trying to iron out a trade, and I think that does a disservice to your fellow members, especially those that have to get up early the next day.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Agree completely, thats crazy. But as long as it doesn't slow things down I think it helps the league.

22. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

My experience, draft day trades during the draft drags the draft time significantly. I would recommend not allowing it and trades should be completed at some point during the day of the draft and prior to the draft.

Most of the leagues that i've played scrapped that idea eventually due to the unorganized nature and also the amount of human error that usually takes place during the draft.

Get the trades done prior, dont talk about how you get value in the 3rd or 4th round because this isnt the real NFL draft. People are taking the fastest players first, period...

You cant treat a Madden Online Franchise draft like a real NFL draft.

23. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

kdpnutter will disagree with you 110% about value in 3rd and 4th rounds i know that for sure

if we are doing a sim league there should be an element of trading up during the draft imo as long as its reasonable

• Like Like x 1
  24. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

I understand the whole sim thing, but it is not like the NFL where you have set clocks. I've seen time and time again...Commissioners give a time limit of 60 seconds or whatever amount of time to pick their player. Due to the trading nature, that 60 seconds is exceeded more often than not, then you have to pause and take more time to find out who is going to get picked and that 60 seconds because 3 -5 minutes. At times the deal is not set and extends even longer or skipped and then comes the whining and complaining.

The word "reasonable" is thrown out there, but what is "reasonable"? As said most often than not, the time set forth is usually exceeded.

You are talking about 32 owners potentially and many of those may not have the 2+ hours of free time for whatever reason on that day of the draft due to in-draft trades. Due to this to keep the balance and fairness, keep the trades pre-draft. This is based on my experience.

25. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

We will allow draft day trades, and do allow for trades during the draft. That will not change if I have anything to say in regards to it and we do have time limits set on draft picks, we have a skype chat set up that I will run to allow people to be in and talk draft or trades. If it is your pick and you have someone wanting to trade yes we do give you that option and give you some time to do it within reason. Our drafts usually have about 5 maybe 6 draft day trades during the draft and has never been an issue.

As for what GovernedSpy said in relation to value of 3rd and 4th round picks yes, I do find extreme value in those picks as well as even 6 or 7th as it usually adds depth or gives me a KR/PR and with how injuries happen I value having depth. It is because of depth that I will make the playoffs this year because a lot of my stars have gotten hurt and their backups (depth) have stepped in and done a fairly good job. (y)

If you would care to discuss it more please feel free or if you have any questions please feel free to contact me if you want to discuss it more and I'll be happy to share my views with them. Our entire draft usually lasts 2.5 hours maybe 3 at the most and it usually took long trying to find out what positions CPU needs. I will handle looking at the CPU and positions of need before the draft so when it comes to the Chargers/Bills I will have a list of positions of need and keep track of the positions already addressed so when it is there pick I can simply tell fuzzyl0gic what positions they need.

That was the longest hardest part is selecting for CPU it would take like 10+ mins for it because people were ill prepared for the CPU picks, however that is not going to be the case this year as I will have it all fully done out of positions of need. So think of it that way 7 rounds 10+ mins for each CPU pick and we have like 5-8 CPU teams. It adds up fast..

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 1