Another `13 Thread

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by GoGators, May 18, 2012.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Reading through everything and thinking about it last night I came up with some interesting scenarios that I wanted to share with everyone. Last year when I played in the Deuce they did some things that really made the dynasty a great experience for it's members and that's kinda what drives these ideas. So on with it already.

I think we've gotten a bit ahead of ourselves with conference / team setup ideas and while it's been GREAT to see a lot of discussion and input from everyone, I think it's important to lay out a couple ideas that IMO would make this dynasty awesome for next year based on conference setups.

2 Conference Setup

The thing with 2 conference setups is you get 6 users in a conference and while that's great for the users, it's highly unlikely any CPU teams can hold up against 6 users every season. So with that in mind, I don't think limiting team selection is as important here. The 6 users in a conference will keep each other in check. So as long as everyone has fairly even teams, things should run smoothly. The one thing you do have to watch out for though is recruiting powerhouses, nobody should be allowed one of those. So for example, in the SEC, the teams I wouldn't allow would be Alabama, Florida, Georgia & LSU. Everyone else would be open IMO.

Here's my proposed setup for 2 conferences based on `12 (which conferences don't matter to me, it could be ACC/SEC, whatever)

Conference 1
    Division A
    Dakota
    Bill
    Jello

Division B
    Edge
    Gators
    UofCWildcat

Conference 2
    Division A
    Big Suge
    Darkwing
    Masler

Division B
    Newbies

This scenario really gets me excited. The story lines that would develop here would be AMAZING! Think about that, Jello, Bill & Dakota duking it out every single season. There's so much competitive balance across these divisions things would be amazing.

3 Conference Setup

I know we voted 2, but I just wanted to put this out there. In a 3 conference setup, team limits are much more important because now you need the CPU to hold up for competition sake. Therefore I think the limit of 4 stars is important here. Again, I wouldn't allow any recruiting powerhouses.

Conference 1
    Division A
    Dakota
    Jello

Division B
    Bill
    UofC

Conference 2
    Division A
    Edge
    Gators

Division B
    Suge
    Masler

Conference 3
    Darkwing (you're still the FNG!)
    Newbies

This one doesn't get me as excited, I'll be honest. It's tough to get the competitive balance right in this setup because there's really only one game that matters again. More would have to be done w/team selection IMO.

1 Conference Setup

Now this is come crazy shit I'll admit. I'm not a fan of a one conference dynasty, but this random idea popped into my head last night and I'm not even sure if it's possible. Can we create a 24 team super conference in the game? If that was possible, what if we merged the SEC and ACC or ACC / Big East and created a 24 team super conference? How sick would that be? It would create the best of both worlds. You'd have the competition of a 2 conference setup, yet with 24 teams (12 being CPU teams) you'd still get a lot of CPU games. You'd have 6 users in each division and they'd all play one another plus one cross division opponent. It'd give us an awesome setup to compete against users (after all, that's why we play Online Dynasty) and it'd still give the CPU a fighting chance as they'd have a shot while the users were beating each other up. I think this could be awesome to try.

• Like Like x 1
  2. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

The two conference idea is great. And that's why i like it best. The competition factor is HUGE. There will be people who get off to good starts but we'll see a lot of new battles and hopefully multiple conference champs.

3. GoGators

I just looked and the max you could have in a conference in `12 was 16 teams. I assume that will still be the case in `13. So I'd argue that in `13 if we go the two conference route, it could be worth adding a couple teams and making them 16 team conferences. I think it would be a great compromise for everyone since some guys wanted 3 conferences.

Benefits from 2 sixteen team super conference setup:

1 - Ample team selection, everyone should be able to get a team they like.
    2 - The guys that wanted 3 conferences are happy still because there should be a good bit of CPU games.
    3 - The CPU will still have a shot at staying competitive since there will be 8 remaining CPU teams in the conference
    4 - Pace of play should be similar to what 12 was.

Since it seems the Big East, ACC, and SEC are the conferences being discussed most, what if we transformed them into 2 super conferences? I think that could be kind of cool.

For example, you could add USF and another Big East school to the SEC and add WVU and Cincy to the ACC (then just send Boise to the Big 12 instead of WVU since that makes no sense).

4. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I don't like this because i thought we didn't wanna fuck around with other BCS conferences and two super conferences bug me because you had less in-division user games. I was in a division with 2 other users and i only played one last year. It's not as competitive for division battles.

5. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

I am glad to see someone else is wrestling with the same issue the boys in AM are wrestling with

6. GoGators

How do you have less in division games? You would still play everyone in your division.

7. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

I really like this idea GoGators. Open team selection is the best way to go I think and would add the U and FSU in the ACC as off limits.

8. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

No forrest, we're settled.... you're 'bama or Auburn, and you better be ready when Mizzou comes to town! :p

9. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

It happened man. It's weird but i didn't play everyone. Or at least that's how i remember it with 16 members. I'll run a test dynasty and check it later just to make sure though.

10. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I like the idea of the way you set your conferences up GoGators . We'd just have to come to an agreement on conferences/teams for the pairings to work.

11. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

The thing that I don't like about GoGators ' conference setup is that is severely limits team selection unless we just jumble the teams up with no regard to real football, which I would also hate.

12. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

Wyrm, gtfo ;) lol
    Why are we taking about the Big East of TSO leagues in this forum

13. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

I agree with GoGators if we go two conferences there really isn't a need for team restrictions outside of the one's listed as recruiting powerhouses. I'm really liking the 2 conference set under these guidelines. With everyone beating up on each other I'm sure we will have guys that took the big boys come back down real quick. Question in this set up how many user games will everyone play? In the SEC you play your two natural opponents in on your side and you will some user games against the other side. Then if we play the conferences you could be looking at 5-6 games. I just don't all the user games to drag out the week, but I really do like the 2 conference set much more than the 3 conference.

14. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Easy to say that from over here..... come on over and give us a try, just don't expect us not to take your lunch money son! :p

15. dakota7

Yeah, I'm not in favor of the created super conferences. I'd only support adding to the Big 12 to get a CCG.

• Like Like x 2
  16. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

I don't think we need a super conference. ACC/SEC/B1G/PAC12/BIG12+1 have plenty if we just make the powerhouses off limits. ACC= U and FSU, SEC= UF, Bama, LSU, UGA, B1G= OSU, UM, PAC12= USC, BIG12 UT, OU.

17. GoGators

I'd argue you need to even the conferences out. So if we end up using the SEC with 14 teams then the other conference should also have 14 teams for balance.

Also, the argument of traditional values is pretty much out the window at this point in college football wouldn't you say? It's anybodies guess what's going to happen in the next 3 years.

18. GoGators

Regarding user games in a 2 conference set up, I think the max you have is one OOC user game per season and I could even see doing that every other season. You'd already have 2-4 in conference user games and the potential for a user CCG and bowl game.

The other thing I think that is important is that we don't massacre the CPU this coming year just because they're doing well. A CPU USC or Ohio St shouldn't have a user game every year, we should give those guys a shot to get to the BCS game to keep them relevant. Additionally, I don't think we should make user strength of schedules A+'s every season either because then the users get too much of an advantage in the poll logic.

• Like Like x 1
  19. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

We figured that out the hard way. As did I with my buddies. Yes we need to give them a User competition every 2 or 3 years but we don't need to throw them into oblivion.

20. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

My biggest gripe about a 2 conference OD vs. a 3 conference setup was the extra user games and making the seasons drag on. This shouldn't be an issue, however, as we should be able to still keep it at or around 4 user games per year. You'd have 2 divisional user games and then 0-3 cross divisional games. There'd be the rare times that you play all 5 conference users, but that shouldn't happen that often. We can then just keep it at 4 games per year. If you only play your division guys, then you have 2 OOC user games. If you play 3 conf opponents, then you have 1 OOC game and you have 0 OOC user games if you play 4 or 5 conference opponents.

That should work out just fine.

21. dakota7

I understand. ACC and SEC both have 14 now, they would work just fine for me.

22. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    ACC and SEC are fine with me. I like the 2 conference set up that GoGators proposed

23. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I'll vote SEC/ACC too. That's 3 for that combination

24. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

Like jello and gators with the big east, I have no interest in the SEC. But I'll approve those as well.

Based on GoGators conference setup, are we doing the division matchup idea?, would whoever is suppose to be in my conference based on that wanting to be in the ACC?

25. dakota7

You make a very good point, if we use gators' alignment, the conference choices can be made by the people you're paired with and don't need a league vote to decide.