Another Important Heads Up

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Keller, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

You may NOT renegotiate contracts with players you just signed to 1 year deals. Those players will enter restricted FA at the end of the season at which point some Noel Devine rule (which we haven't decided on yet) will kick in to prevent teams from abusing the system. Also note, MLM itself is working to correct the issue as well.

2. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

So, yesterday, when the bidding on some players went from, wow thats high, to, wow that is really really out of control high, and the years went from 5, to 3, to 1, everyone was basically told, if u have the cap room, its ok...

Today, everything seems to have changed, and since I was the winning bidder, for Devine, I just want it to be fair across the board, and not be penalized by any rule that wasn't in place yesterday, when the bidding was taking place. I think a fair thing to do would probably be, "going forward, this is the rule" in my opinion.

Let the debates begin

3. Keller

Would you like me to release Devine and have a re-bid on him?

Otherwise, you're paying that 13mil salary.

I'm sorry things changed on you, but they HAD to, unfortunately.

4. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

Im ok with that as long as your ok with paying him 10 million when u resign him... cause having the cap room to turn around and retard the game is kinda against what we're going for here at TSO isn't it? Cause im sure a player IRL would take 10million and then drop down to a 5year, 8 million contract...

I think the issue is people werent thinking bidders were trying to jip the game as they were just trying to overbid for SPD/AGI etc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I agree with the rule, nobody should be able to resign instantly and not take the original bid contract for season 1. That is bullshit and unethical.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

It's a sticky situation for sure. With so many unknown variables, this is what I'd do.

1) Stryder24 keeps Devine @13 million for 1 year
    2) At the end of the season look at progression and stats for him
    3) Based on #2 above his next contract is based on that information and a comparable contract similar to his peers- The Devine Rule

This should allow Miami then at the end of the season to negotiate a better deal for both parties involved (think long-term deal) or maybe Miami decides he's not as good as advertised and is forced to release him into FA again to negotiate a smaller deal based on Miami's perception of his actual skills. This would also allow other teams to negotiate a long-term deal if the Devine-Miami relationship falters.

The bar is set high for Devine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

Yes.

Again, when this debate was going on, it was more you can do whatever you want, and people were exploiting the system, and it was being allowed.

or

Another, easier solution. I will pay Devine a 5 year deal matching the average of the 3-5 highest paid RBs in the league(not even sure what that is, but would agree to that)

or

let MLM determine what Devine gets resigned for

8. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

/agreed....

9. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

So you don't think Stryder should even pay Devine the 13M 1 year deal that HE WON THE BID ON? What's the fucking point of even bidding?

Obviously the ability to re-structure a contract so that you don't even have to pay the player what you won the bid is a bug/glitch in the software.

You guys are...wow.

10. Keller

Like I said - there are two options

Pay the 13mil and keep him on your team for a season - he will become a RFA and you can, after we decide what exactly the noel devine rule will be, sign him to a long term deal.

Release him and let the 2nd period of FA decide his fate now that everyone knows the stipulations around 1 year deals etc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. fuzzyl0gic

Thank you.

12. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I believe you have illegal paraphernalia in your siggy stryder... lol

13. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

I think he meant that after this year....

yes I pay the 13 mil this year, but when resigning him, I pay for a fair amount based on his stats, progression, etc....

14. fuzzyl0gic

oh ok my bad.

15. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Settle down killer. Where in my post do I say he should NOT pay the 13 mill? Bullet point number 1 says he keeps Devine... as in, you're stuck with him this year at 13 million. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Side Note: I updated my wording to be more specific in my original post.

16. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

The only
    The only problem I see with this scenerio is that a user can tank his first season in order to resign the guy at a lower rate, and because he is so young still benefit from the progression.
    I think the Noel Devine Rule should be handled somewhat like a Franchise Tag.

Dolphins own the rights to him after the season. In order to resign him, he would have to pay him based on highest 3 RB salaries going forward. He can trade him if he chooses, and the new owner would have to pay the same, and give him back compensation, or he can outright release him with no cap penalty.

This gives the Dolphins a little bit more bang for there buck with the rights and possibility of compensation, but forces them to pay the going rate in which they set.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Keller

We still have to decide what the rule will be - MLM may be changed so that it factors in previous contracts in the future - we just dont know.

I'm mainly concerned with right now - if Stryder wants to pay the 13mil and keep him, thats fine. Otherwise, I need to know so he can go back to the FA pool.

18. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

I'll keep him, just want his resigning to be fair... and not something ridiculous....

19. Keller

Theres no guarantee of that - thats your gamble.

20. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Some current players have ridiculous cap numbers in the final year of their deals I hope MLM keeps that into account if they change things. They should be able to be signed for less in their contract year which is realistic. Otherwise they're going to be left unsigned if their asking for $16+ million/yr deals.

As for the Noel Devine situation everyone knew the bidding was stupid and cheap (stryder included). Don't get all up in arms about it now thats it trying to be fixed when you've already claimed its cheesey and willingly jumped in because you thought you could get away with it.

21. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

Didn't know I was up in arms... thought we were just talking. Here is what I see happening

1) After year is up, I can resign him for a low amount per MLM, everyone throws a fit, and makes me offer him 10/mil a year.
    2) After year is up, I am told I cannot resign him, because of this contract, and he has to back into the pool.
    3) After year is up, it is decided that he can resign for comparable amount based on his rushing stats, etc (a la the rule we had in last years game)

All I want is to be able to offer him a realistic amount for a long term deal at year end, don't think it is that big of an issue is it?

BTW my vote would be option 3 :)

22. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

23. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I know I'm not in this league, but like many others on this site, I have been following this situation because of its absurdity.

First off you guys are lucky to have someone that is willing to put as much time into running this league as Keller does and he always has the best intentions for everything he does both here in TMFL and the site. If this were a 16 team league, this would have been my first choice for when I was looking to join a Madden league.

I totally agree with Keller's decision that 1 year contract players should go back into free agency after the season because what has gone on is FAR beyond realistic and sim. Maybe coming up with a structure so after a certain point in the bidding, you cannot offer 1 year contracts. Ex. A potential=%500 over original bid, B=300% and C=200%. Beyond this if 2 guys are in a bidding war over a player who has a low OVR but has speed, then it is the commissioner's responsibility to step in.

What is standing out to me most within this conversation, is that you signed Devine to a ridiculous contract and now you "want..to be able to offer him a realistic amount for a long term deal". I'm sorry, but you lost that right as soon as you and who ever else you were bidding with inflated his worth.

Filling a team with low ratings but speed has always been view as cheap and cheesey, and this is a perfect example of it.

• Like Like x 4
  24. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

Love being painted as the bad guy here, absolutely love it....

Yesterday morning, I made Devine an offer for a 5 year deal, for like 7-8 mil.

later in the day I was outbid by someone for a 3 year deal for 9+ mil, so I outbid that.

then later in the day I was outbid again for a 1 year 12 mil dollar deal.

In the forums it was stated that it was okay to make those bids as essentially "if you have the cap space you can do whatever you want", so, having the cap space, I followed what I was told to be the correct thing to do, and now I am a cheater/cheeser, no sim, etc, etc, etc.....

For those who I have played with, know that I play the game sim, and manage my team in a sim manner. Now, whomever decided to push that 12 mil 1 year deal I don't know, it wasn't me, but do not really like how this is playing out.

edit**

Also, yesterday, if you check the forums, it was stated that, you are kind of bidding with your cap room for the ability to sign him long term, so I took that as, sign him to a "Franchise tag" type contract, and then be able to sign him long term (after the 1st year) to a long term deal, now everything is changing, I lost out on 2 other FAs because I was trying to sign him, when in reality if I was told, "you will penalized for signing him to a one year deal" I wouldve backed off, let the original bidder win him, and get the other FAs. So now I am in a lose-lose situation, with egg on my face.

25. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I'm just curious as to why you wanted someone who is rated so low so badly?

Your not the only one who is in the wrong, whoever you got into that bidding war with is just as much at fault as you are. You shouldn't have shoulder the blame alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.