Any military vets or active duty?

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by MurkYa21, Jan 10, 2012.

1. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

First, thank you. Second, I'm going to be enlisting soon..

Been hearing that it's really tough to get in right now, and I'd be lucky if I were to get in.

2. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I'm Active Duty US Army and yeah its tough. As long as you're not fat with a dirty record you should be able to enlist. The Army is being picky right now with guys with clean records and are able to pass a PT test. With us not having to work two fronts we are "downsizing" for those two reasons so I can't see why they'd let somebody in with the same issues.

3. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

4. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Yes, I am active duty Army, I just did a bout of hometown recruiting and they really are being picky with who they are letting in because of the "downsizing" best advice I can say is research the jobs they have and study for your ASVAB, the higher your ASVAB score the better opportunity of getting in and variety of jobs that will be available to you.

Also compile a list of 5 jobs that you want, so if one isn't available you don't get stuck doing something your going to hate and stick to it. Don't let yourself get talked into something you don't want to do. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I've got college credits so I'll be coming in as E-3, and I'm pretty athletic not worried about the PT test.

I'm just gonna take whatever they give me that's closest to what I actually want. I hope I do pretty well ASVAB, I'm gonna study a little here and there and see how it goes.

Army or Air Force?

6. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

So I'll still have plenty of time for video games :D

7. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Can you do 10 of these though?

[​IMG]

8. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Lol yep. The question is just getting in.

I could probably do 50-60.

I ran a 5:01 mile in 8th grade, and a 16:45 3-mile in 9th and 10th grade before switching over to football. Played 5 years of football, 3 at the collegiate level. So I'm a pretty well rounded athlete. Unfortunately things did not work out for me as I'd like in the financial department, so I'm joining earlier than I had hoped, and I want to finish my school through the military as soon as possible. I also have always planned making the military a career for myself, not just a 4 year thing.

9. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

I served 3 years on active duty in the Army. I was stationed at Fort Eustis, Va. I spent 11 months in 2008 in FOB Sharana in Afghanistan. I got out in January 2010... I heard the Army has gone ape shit on people and barring people from reenlistment for ticky-tack small things. Funny how different it was when I joined and they were dying to let anyone with half a brain and heartbeat in.

10. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Its not that they are going crazy over little things, they are just going back to the standards. More people kicked out for being fuck ups the easier it is for me to get promoted!

11. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Im gonna do my best to stay out of trouble and not be one of the fuck ups

12. wayers50

wayers50 Walk On

Hey, sorry I"m a little late on replying. I'm active duty army and have been deployed to Iraq and just got back from Afghanistan (worst year of my life). When do you ship off to basic?

13. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Right time, right place, right uniform...........words to live by.

As for the Army getting stricter, well yes they are as we have way more people than we need and for things that you used to just get an article 15 or counseling for, well now it's just a discharge. It is getting rid of people that can't live by the Army values.

14. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I just took my ASVAB and got an 82. I'm going to do the special forces enlistment option, and if I dont make it (which i plan to make it obviously) I'll get reclassed to 11B. I go back in tomorrow where I'll hopefully get signed up for MEPS, I think its going to be a while still until I go off to basic.

I was leaning towards the Air Force again, but to me there's more jobs in the Army I actually want to do. Infantry is a starting point for a lot of advanced schools, and I'm already qualifying to try out for special forces. Question - will that take place at basic or after?

The year long deployments sound terrible man! I'm going to stay single for as long as I can. Do you get to pick where you're stationed after basic?

15. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

Of course you do, as long as its exactly where the Army was planning to send you in the first place ;)

• Like Like x 2
  16. wayers50

wayers50 Walk On

I've had friends go to selection for Special Forces and didn't make it, the best think i can tell you about that is just stay positive and believe you can make it. Also if you have netflix there is a tv show call 17 days in hell (or something like that) that is an inside look of selection.

You'll most likely go do your special forces option right after basic, then if you make it, you'll continue your SF training, if not you'll go back to basic for infantry AIT (infantry does basic and AIT in the same place). I'm an MP right now but I'm considering reclassing to infantry after being attached to an infantry division my whole deployment.

When I got to reception after MEPS, they gave me a 3 choice selection sheet on where I wanted to go after AIT, I got nothing I wrote. So its most likely going to be the needs of the army as to where you go.

The year long deployments suck, but you'll have friends to help each other make it through, plus depending on what part you are deployed to you can go to MWR facilities like gyms, computer rooms, tv rooms, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Great info man.

My goal is to get to warrant officer as quickly as possible, and do very well every where I'm at.

Ive got a while to train so I'm really gonna work on getting my mile time really low, and push ups and pull ups. I honestly think I can do it since I've done cross country and football, its just a tough start getting back into running since I'm so used to football.

I know that 100% on the PT test is like 71 pushups and a 13:00 2 mile. I've done both of those before so I should be able to do it again.

18. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Okay I will do my best to answer this, it would take place after basic which if your classifying as 11B it will be OSIT, you'll do your AIT and Basic right there and after go right to special forces school if you qualify. If you want to be 11B I will say, you need to be okay to be doing a lot of tough lifting and long marches with a lot of weight and the special forces is just a try out and does not guarantee you that you will be special forces.

As for getting to pick where your stationed after basic, you'll get to fill out a "wish-list" which it is exactly that, it's a wish list, you more than likely wont get to go there. They will put you wherever the Army needs you to be, unless you get it guaranteed in your contract at MEPS before you leave. Anything you want make sure you get guaranteed in your contract or it don't mean squat.

19. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I may just go 11B, because it's gonna take a few more years of training for the special forces. But I go back tomorrow, I'll keep you guys posted.

20. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Bruh, if you score high on your ASVAB, no offense to bang bangs but you should do something that could possibly set yourself up for something on the civilian side in case the Army is not your thing. Infantry sounds "cool" but its for those guys who are going to spend 20 years in the military. Dig deeper than just settling for 11B, find something you can build a career with.

21. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I scored an 82. 11B is a good start for more advanced schools like sniper or ranger, etc....I do want to make it a career. But I know what you're saying, have any recomendations?

22. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

If Ranger and Sniper are what you want in the military than 11B is your thing. I won't persuade you one way or the other but just look towards the future. Don't get caught up in the hoop dreams the recruiters will sell you -- treat the Army like a Friday night slut. Tell it whatever it wants to hear to get where you want to go. How long you stay in its ear is up to you but remember to use it because it'll use the shit outta you.

Hopefully you can get in, it'll be a great experience no matter what you do. Stay motivated. Motivation will take you far in the Army.

• Like Like x 2
  23. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Thanks man, I gotcha.

I'm close to finishing my bachelor so shouldn't that be enough when I get out?
    I know what you're saying about look to my future - the things I'm looking at won't translate to anything out of the service. What are some jobs that will? (my recruiters haven't told me shit about jobs).

24. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Whats your bachelor's degree in? And why aren't you thinking about becoming an officer?

25. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Had meps today, what a good time!

The next time I go up there I'll be picking my job and swearing in..

Looks like I won't leave until July/August at the earliest.

• Like Like x 1