ARCHIVED >>> OFF-SEASON Q & A

Discussion in 'Quality Simulation Football' started by CHUNKNESS, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

OFF-SEASON Q & A

This topic is intended for everyone to get acquainted or re-acquainted with the off-season tasks that will be expected of each of us once the Superbowl has been completed and the off-season has commenced. If there are any questions that you have that haven't been answered, feel free to reply with your question and it will be addressed as best as we possibly can. The only "dumb" question is the question that isn't asked (unless the answer is listed here already). (y)

WHICH SEASONS ARE PLAYED AND WHICH SEASONS ARE SIMULATED?

We play every other season. Every ODD year the season will be played. Every EVEN year the season will be simulated including the post season.

WHAT PARTS OF THE EVEN SEASONS ARE SIMULATED?

We simulate the pre-season games, regular season games, and post season games including practice. Ownership tasks are still performed including stadium building, team relocation, player re-signings (regular season and off-season), off-season free agency, scouting (off-season only; regular season scouting points are cumulative), and the draft.

HOW LONG DOES THE SIMULATED SEASON TAKE?

The simulated season, including all of the ownership tasks, typically takes one calendar week. With the exception of holidays, the simulated season would run Sunday through Saturday (draft day); kicking off the regular season of the played season that follows on Monday.

HOW LONG DOES THE POST SEASON TAKE?

Typically the post season is completed anywhere between 7-10 calendar days for the ODD seasons that we play the games. The duration of the post season will be determined by when playoff participants are able to schedule and play their games. We continue with the 2-3 day advances per madden week during the post season with the exception of holidays, scheduled vacations, or if an owner has extenuating circumstances that would warrant a delay.

WHAT CAN I DO DURING THE POST SEASON IF I DID NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS?

During the post season teams may continue scouting, initiate off-season trade talks, or perform staff hiring (if/when available via the CFM).

WHEN CAN WE START POSTING OFF-SEASON TRADES?

In order to be proactive, off-season trades may be discussed and posted during the post season of the ODD year seasons that are played and during the off-season of the EVEN year seasons that are simulated. However, owners must be mindful of their team's upcoming re-signings, applicable cap penalties, current salaries, rookie reserves, and the salary cap that will apply.

WHAT IF AN OWNER AGREES TO A TRADE, BUT MISCALCULATED HIS CAP SPACE?

If an owner agrees to a trade for the off-season, but miscalculated their team's finances, that team will be responsible for creating the appropriate cap space so that the trade can be processed. BACKING OUT OF TRADES DUE TO CAP MISCALCULATIONS IS NOT ALLOWED!

WHEN CAN OFF-SEASON TRADES BE PROCESSED IN THE CFM?

Based on the limitations of the CFM off-season trades cannot be processed until the CFM has been advanced to STAGE 2.

HOW MANY STAGES ARE IN THE OFF-SEASON?

There are SIX off-season stages that everyone will be required to perform. The CFM indicates there are EIGHT stages, but our owner mode has only SIX stages skipping over stages three and six:

STAGE 1: Re-Sign Players
    STAGE 2: Free Agent Offers (phase 1 of 3), Staff Hiring (if applicable to your team)

STAGE 3: NA (non-existent)

STAGE 4: Free Agent Offers (phase 2 of 3), Scouting
    STAGE 5: Free Agent Offers (phase 3 of 3), Scouting

STAGE 6: NA (non-existent)

STAGE 7: Scouting
    STAGE 8: NFL Draft, Rookie Signings (immediately follows draft)

Pre-Season, Relocation process​

WHEN ARE THE DRAFTS HELD?

Drafts will take place on SATURDAY nights commencing at 8pm EST with the exception of holidays and/or barring any unforeseen circumstances (God forbid the PSN goes down).

SHOULD I PUT MY TEAM ON AUTO-PILOT FOR THE DRAFT IF I CANNOT ATTEND?

Putting your team on auto pilot is not necessary. The commissioner will be able to execute simulated picks from the draft console regardless of whether or not your team is on auto-pilot. IF YOU ARE NOT PHYSICALLY MAKING YOUR TEAM SELECTIONS, LOG OFF OF THE CFM!

CAN I MAKE TRADES DURING THE DRAFT?

Yes, owners may perform draft day trades. However, the draft will NOT be paused so that owners involved may complete their trade. You snooze, you lose. CPU trades will be turned off during the draft in order to prevent any auto-pilot team trades.

HOW LONG ARE THE DRAFTS?

Typically each draft is anywhere between 2-2.5 hours. The staff will complete a draft recap following the draft, so the CFM will not advance immediately once the draft has completed.
    WHEN CAN I SIGN/RELEASE MY DRAFTED ROOKIES?

The CFM signs ALL rookies drafted to each team. If your team drafted a rookie that you don't want, release him. Your team's salary cap will be subject to any penalties incurred with the release of any rookies.

CAN I TRADE MY ROOKIES?

The only situation that would allow a rookie being traded would be if two teams agreed to trade rookie for rookie BEFORE THE PRE-SEASON; similar to that of the Eli Manning trade between the Chargers and the Giants in the 2004 NFL draft:

The limitations of the CFM do not allow rookie for rookie trades during the live draft. Therefore, any rookie for rookie trades would need to be made after the live draft is completed. Any penalties incurred as a result of a rookie for rookie trade are at the risk of the teams involved.

WHAT IS A TYPICAL OFF-SEASON SCHEDULE?

The "typical" off-season schedule following a season that is PLAYED will be arranged based on when the Superbowl is completed. The off-season for both the PLAYED and SIMULATED seasons will always be arranged so that the draft falls on a Saturday. An example of such a schedule is as follows:

2013 OFF-SEASON SCHEDULE (EXAMPLE)

FRIDAY 1/25/13

STAGE 1: 2014 Off-season Re-signings + Scouting = DEADLINE 8pm EST

STAGE 2: FA Phase 1 + Scouting = 8pm EST to Midnight EST

SATURDAY 1/26/13

STAGE 4: FA Phase 2 + Scouting = 12:01am EST to Noon EST

STAGE 5: FA Phase 3 (final phase) + Scouting = Noon EST to 3pm EST

STAGE 7: Final scouting phase = 3pm EST to 7:30pm EST

STAGE 8: 2015 DRAFT = 8pm EST to 10:30pm EST

Rookie Signings (CPU automatically signs rookies) & 2015 Pre-Season open immediately following draft completion.

SUNDAY 1/27/13

2015 Pre-Season (Trading / Free Agency / Roster Cuts) = DEADLINE Midnight EST

MONDAY 1/28/13

2015 REGULAR SEASON SIMULATION through week 4 (immediately following pre-season deadline); re-signings and trading = DEADLINE Midnight EST.

TUESDAY 1/29/13

2015 REGULAR SEASON SIMULATION through week 8 (immediately following week 4 deadline); re-signings and trading = DEADLINE Midnight EST.

2015 REGULAR SEASON SIMULATION completed through post season (immediately following week 8 deadline).

2014 OFF-SEASON SCHEDULE (EXAMPLE)

WEDNESDAY 1/30/13

STAGE 1: 2015 Off-season Re-signings + Scouting = 12:01am EST to Midnight EST

THURSDAY 1/31/13

STAGE 2: FA Phase 1 + Scouting = 12:01am EST to Midnight EST

FRIDAY 2/1/13

STAGE 4: FA Phase 2 + Scouting = 12:01am EST to Midnight EST

SATURDAY 2/2/13

STAGE 5: FA Phase 3 (final phase) + Scouting = 12:01am EST to 3pm EST

STAGE 7: Final scouting phase = 3pm EST to 7:30pm EST

STAGE 8: 2016 DRAFT = 8pm EST to 10:30pm EST

Rookie Signings (CPU automatically signs rookies) & 2016 Pre-Season open immediately following draft completion.

SUNDAY 2/3/13

2016 Pre-Season (Trading / Free Agency / Roster Cuts) = DEADLINE Midnight EST

MONDAY 2/4/13

Season 2016 regular season kickoff!

Aaron (Hulk_hagen_55 )
    Alex (Ninersfan80)
    Alonso (ferocious)
    Avery (AveryB)
    Carl T. (CTfromDC)
    Chris (CSteud)
    Curtis (thafuture3886)
    Danny (DJDunn6)
    Dave (saintsdave75)
    David R. (ncsu12ddr)
    Doug (CHUNKNESS)
    Eric (Easy Dez It)
    Grey (LLCoolGrey)
    Heath (heathh)
    James M. (cry_havoc)
    James Y. (Phenom)
    Jeremy (Jeremy)
    Jim (LtJustice)
    Jon (Warhawk AKA dreadman)
    Josh (Josh Barnes)
    Juan V. (Juan Valencia)
    Kris (coachmimz20)
    Lawon (MrWitness36)
    Loren (ThaBayouChef)
    Michael C. (KNICKSFAN_84)
    Michael O. (Michael Overman)
    Mike A. (Miki1369)
    Moe (CaptMoe)
    Pope (dablakpope)
    Rob (PepperNY)
    T.J. (klaximilian)
    Troy (redlishus)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 7
  2. CHUNKNESS

LtJustice

Jim, you may want to pin this topic...

• Like Like x 1
  3. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

I don't think u gave enough detail in this Doug. Jk great job man

• Like Like x 4
  4. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

GREAT JOB DOUG! Many thanks for taking the time to lay this out in a clear and concise manner.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Josh Barnes

Josh Barnes Walk On

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but shouldn't it be, "WHAT PARTS OF THE EVEN SEASONS ARE SIMULATED?" If I am wrong my apologies, but figured I would point this out in case it is indeed a mistake.

I haven't finished reading yet, but thanks CHUNKNESS for the detailed information! (y)

• Like Like x 3
  6. CHUNKNESS

corrected. thx Josh.

• Like Like x 1
  7. coachmimz20

coachmimz20 Walk On

that was legit

• Like Like x 3
  8. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

How is this determined? And do we ever have the option to fire the HC? Or is this just the training and scouting no namers??

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  9. CHUNKNESS

It all depends on the team and the contract with the current staff. For example, the Jaguars coaching staff was on a contract year. So this post/off-season I had the option to re-sign or fire my coaching staff since their contract expires at the end of the season. You can guess what transpired. Not sure about hiring staff yet. That will come with the next advance(s).

• Like Like x 1
  10. CHUNKNESS

Just a reminder about the Q&A thread for those who have off-season questions. Be advised that the 2014 and 2015 drafts may be scheduled for SUNDAYS at 8pm EST due to outside conflicts.

Aaron (Hulk_hagen_55 )
    Alex (Ninersfan80)
    Alonso (ferocious)
    Avery (AveryB)
    Carl T. (CTfromDC)
    Chris (CSteud)
    Curtis (thafuture3886)
    Danny (DJDunn6)
    Dave (saintsdave75)
    David R. (ncsu12ddr)
    Doug (CHUNKNESS)
    Eric (Easy Dez It)