Are the 4-2-5 and/or 3-3-5 D's legit??

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by jdrhammer, Feb 9, 2010.

1. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Are the 4-2-5 and/or 3-3-5 D's legit??

By that, I ask if they pose a problem for OL AI's trying to stop them? I'm not claiming anyone is cheesing or trying to gain an unfair advantage because that's not my intent. I've noticed after playing a couple guys who use the 4-2-5 that it's difficult to run. These guys have great teams so it should be tough but it seems a little more difficult.

I run a 4-3 and I have one of the top Rushing D's in the nation so I'm not calling anyone out for their scheme. I have noticed some 4-2-5 guys who've recruited LB's and moved them to SS which made me think, "Why not just go with the 4-3???

It's just a question and I'm interested to see if there is a known problem out there with running a 4-2-5 and it allowing an advantage vs the run. It shouldn't, but I am curious. I want teams to have their own identities so I want variation but this game still has flaws like being able to stop the run in the Dime 3-2-6. Let's hear it.

2. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Outsider's POV- It is definitely cheese to run the 3-3-5. I think the 4-2-5 works the same. They make it so you don't have to do so much work. That is if you run it as your base defense. It's fine to run it if someone if running 3-5 wide all game.

My apologies in advance if I'm out of line.

3. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

I know the 1-5-5 is the cheesiest D I've ever seen and it is banned from our OD. As for the 4-2-5, it seems like those teams may blitz a little more and the blitzes seem much more effective than normal like they just don't get blocked. I'd have to see breakdowns to be sure but that's just what it seems like to me. Like I said, not calling anyone out because I know that it could just as easily be me not being able or knowledgeable enough to counter it.

4. drowsike

drowsike Go DAWGS

Controller is right on with the 3-5 wide..this seems to be the way to defeat the defense
    I use the 4-2-5 when teams have fast option qb's..but I if it's banned, I wouldnt care..I would have to find another way to keep fast qb's in check

5. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

I ran a 4-3 with my Iowa squad against a user controlled Michigan team that had Denard Robinson at QB, and Jones/Smith at RB out of the option run PB. Those three players average 93.3 for speed in our dynasty. I ran dime once or twice that game. Most of the time in passing situations I was covering with my LB's too. Now my LB's average 91.6 OVR across the board, with speed anywhere from 80 at MLB to 86 and 90 at OLB's. I was able to contain the option, and still cover the passing game pretty well.

Mike

6. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

i kno i run this defense with alot of success not sure what the cheesy part about it is, just give me one example and i'll stop using it but im with the majority as far as banning it or not just let me kno asap so i can start labbing a new defense lol

7. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Didn't mean to imply that anyone was cheesing out because I know you guys aren't that way. I was talking with someone the other day and they mentioned how successful anyone running the 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 is against the run and how effective the blitzes are. Then I noticed some teams doing it and wanted to see what my guys thought, even the ones who use it. I just recently noticed it and it made me wonder. Plus, I don't think it's used in the sec. I know ole miss ran it a few years ago and I hated it. Lol

No problems, just checking. You know how I like to reaearch and debate, lol

8. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

i'll research some other places and see what i can find, but i do lead the league in sacks and tfl almost every season, so i can definitly see the concearn

9. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Cool. I appreciate everyone's input. This is why I try to ask instead of just assuming. LSU always has fast, swarming D's and I definitely want teams to have their own identity. I don't want each user game to feel the same but I don't want anyone to get curb-kicked due to a scheme being questionable either. There may not be anything wrong with the 4-2-5 but there are some serious OL flaws.

I'll use LSU as an example, they used that package with 4 DE's in pass rush situations but it doesn't transfer well at all on the game.

10. Itsnotagame

Itsnotagame Walk On

Hey I play ford next so let's ban it now jd jk tuff

11. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

I just played LSU with a 4-2-5 and I wasn't able to tell too much because I was too busy getting stomped. It did seem like he camped out in my backfield on passing plays but I know there was a time or two I held on to the ball too long as well.

I would have to question how the OL blocks because there were several times there would be 4 DL, and a Safety just outside the ends on each side. It seemed like it just let someone through several times. I can't be exact so these are just thoughts off the top of my head.

I got to his QB a few times too so...I don't know.