Areas of Growth and Improvement for NCAA 13

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I figured I'd start this thread up and get a public forum going about what we want to get better at. This could be anything from league behavior/habits to game play or anything in between.

I might bring up something for certain people in this thread but I don't intend it as "calling out" rather just discussion and encouragement. If there was some "cheese" you were doing that would be discussed privately. If it's a growth opportunity (as I see it) I will bring it up here.

Personally I want to continue getting better at not getting angry during the game. If I do say so myself, I have made YOOGE strides here and I give the credit to two guys, Twister18 and Gravity - Yeah twist occasionally gets mad but mostly compliments people when they make a good play. Gravity I think is competitive and such but he really rolls with the punches and doesn't rage. It made it impossible for me to rage when they weren't.

Maybe you guys would have a different outlook but I don't think I really rage anymore, and I'm really happy about that. I even find myself saying "great play" when a play that totally ruins me happens. Like a great user pick by mboda a couple of years ago against Oregon State that almost lost me the game, I immediately saw how great of a play he made instead of just making some excuse like "how is he covering the whole field with his MLB?" He didn't cover the whole field, he made a great play anticipating and recognizing my patterns - give people credit.

I think it's a big sportsmanship issue for me, so just throwing that out there. Gotta head to work I will check back. In the meantime how about you guys?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Game play wise, I need to play less aggressive on offense. I find myself trying to get huge chunks of yards too often when things are going well, then end up throwing bad picks trying to throw like Favre out there. This year I will look to make better reads and check down more often.

I'd like to be more active with content. Sometimes I'm really good about it, then I totally fall off. So I hope to post more consistently.

I'd also like to go this year without breaking a controller. I only broke 1 last year and that was at the beginning of the dynasty so I'm like 9 months incident free!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

I really enjoy playing the game and not just because of winning or losing. The camaraderie is what I am here for. I truly look forward to getting online in a party and BSing with you all and playing NCAA or MW3 otherwise I wouldn't have tried so hard to get my internet. I know I am not the best player but I have learned alot about reading defenses from Helli and smalls and others. While I may never be Joe Montana, I hope I am able to form a passing game in next years game rather than being so 1 dimensional as I was this year. Given my age, my stick skills won't likely improve so hope that my football knowledge will.

I really enjoy content and hopefully by limiting myself to 2 dynastys will help that.

I have never broke a controller but headsets is a different issue.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

I tend to play like a pussy too often. Ill settle for FG's when I should have gone for a touchdown pass on 3rd down. I also used to go into games expecting to lose. Im a much better player than I give myself credit for. I really don't care about winning or losing, but as long as I can make my opponent start sweating I'm satisfied.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

As your friendly commissioner, I would like to see you do a couple things. From a sim perspective, in a perfect world, the hit sticks would be taken down a notch. I think focusing your defense on "B/hit stick, B/hit stick, B/hit stick" just doesn't really look realistic out there and I think in the end it stops you from thinking the game and really varying your play calling because you're mostly focused on hit sticking. And occasionally it leads to giving up big plays too. It's not something that I'm gonna get all worked up over, but ideally.... I'd like to see people concentrate on making the play with their guy, then switching when that isn't possible. Switching the moment after the play starts just seems a little strange. I know for me on offense it is distracting to see the user control icon switching immediately/so often.

On offense, I want to see you diversify your passing game and become more dangerous by making it harder for people to concentrate on just one thing to stop you. You will become a lot tougher to stop.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I'd like to see the whole league work on this... This year we had sort of a built-in excuse with the fact that the dynasty wire didn't work out. I don't know about you guys but at the beginning I thought that shit was going to work. So I was putting stories up there and thought they would stay there. Well after the first season or two when we had to restart all that got lost, and it really took the wind out of my sails. That's an excuse but I think this year we need to assume it won't work, and post our stuff here.

PS... I didn't break one controller this year. It's a christmas miracle! I think part of it is that my baby daughter is watching me play a lot of the time, and I don't want to set a bad example, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

Yeah it does bite me in the ass quite often. It seems this year atleast for me, tougher to hit stick. As far as the switching goes, I usually dont switch until either the ball is in the air, or the runner is close to a diff defender. If I do switch mid play, then it is unintentional because 90% of the time I user my MLB. Ill look for it though. As far as on Offense, I think I would be better off running it more. Of course this years game looks to cater to those who can master user catching.

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I've kind of thought (in very limited experience with the demo) that all the new catching animations actually help those that don't user catch. Are you seeing a big advantage to doing it? I have seen my players make great catches when I didn't do anything so I was excited for the guys that may not be as stick skill oriented as others. I'm gonna play the demo some more this weekend.

9. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

Seems like it is a lot easier to square up this year on deep balls. Also the stick isnt as sensitive down field so very rarely have I taken my guys out of plays in the demo like I'm sure many of us have in '12. I do find user controlling to be more rewarding this year with some of the new catch animations. Even just pressing Y at the right time makes a big difference imo.

10. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I think content can always be improved. I want to try and do write-ups for some games vs. the CPU as well, or at least do some mid-season updates that mention them. Also, in another OD, I used to do Coach Interviews during the year... I might do some of those for '13.

Game-play wise, I want to overhaul a lot of what I do. I have basically been running the same offense/defense for 2 releases now, and I think it has affected my play-calling etc. Next year I want to try some new stuff on both sides of the ball. I think using the same pb for so long has caused me to adopt some bad habits and just made me a more stagnant and predictable opponent. I will have to get into practice mode before making any real decisions about it, but I think a Spread Offense based off the Read Option would be fun if it feels right. A unique theme or identity that opponents have to think about when playing me would be cool. Might try a 3-4 defense or something besides a 4-3 to shake things up on the other side of the ball too.

Agreed. Often I will switch to the WR and take him slightly off track to where he cant even attempt to make a play.

• Like Like x 1
  11. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

• Like Like x 4
  12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Eh myself, I'd like to switch it up more often...I fell into the air raid type offense, and I been running it for the longest time...I'd like to gain some more balance as in using a more balanced playbook. I think I'll be forced into doing so with the team I have and their QB not being exactly the greatest...

also, more content from myself

and maybe not breaking things lol...

• Like Like x 1