Arizona @ USC

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by WisconsinSports414, Sep 1, 2009.

1. WisconsinSports414

WisconsinSports414 Walk On

Arizona @ USC

Next Stop: Pasadena!!!

#19Arizona - 21 #12USC - O

[​IMG] [​IMG]

For the eighth game in a row, Arizona comes out on top in conference play. While the victory over USC is shocking by itself, the manner in which this game was won came as an even bigger surprise.

USC would win the toss and receive, going on a long drive which was halted on fourth and one. Many in Los Angeles will question the coach's decision to pass on fourth and short after the running game got the Trojans into striking distance, and more still will wonder why he elected to forgo the three points. That one play set the tone for what would be a dominant day on defense by Arizona. After exchanging punts, the Wildcats put together a long, pounding drive that ended in failure, but again got a quick stop and ran their two minute offense to perfection. Leading 7-0 at the start of the third and with the ball, the Wildcats would stun the Trojans and their fans with a thrilling kickoff return by Freshman Anthony Wilcox. 14-0, Wildcats. That play took what little fight the Trojans had left, along with a surprising number of silly penalties which hindered them further. Arizona's defense smothered the home standing Trojans for the rest of the game, allowing Matt Scott and company to score again after being given a short field. Up 21-0 and with the ball to start the fourth quarter, Arizona proceeded to suck the life out of the opposing team and stadium, with a dominating drive that would take up more than five minutes. The Coliseum became silent.

This win gives Arizona their first Rose Bowl berth in program history, along with the Pac 10 crown. Questions are already popping up with regards to the Wildcats' coach, who will undoubtedly have teams interested after the job he's done coaching up this bunch. Also, even more speculation surrounds the future of the Trojans, whose grip on the conference had slowly been slipping with a string of conference upsets in recent years, and now seems to have been lost completely -- at least for one season. Pete Carroll has earned himself plenty of wiggle room with all he has done at USC over the last decade, but it's difficult to look past losing to rival UCLA who came in at 5-6, and being flat out embarrassed by Arizona in their own building with a Rose Bowl rematch against Penn State on the line.

Key Stats:

USC: 0-1 on fourth down. 3-8 on third down. Five penalties for fifty-six yards.

Arizona: 7-11 on third down. Six sacks. 100% in the red zone.

Player of the game: Anthony Wilcox, whose 88 yard KR gave his team a huge lift in what had been a very close game. Honorable mention goes to QB Matt Scott, who managed the game (no picks), and set the school record for Touchdown passes in a single season.

Up Next: Arizona vs Penn State. This is it. Both these teams have played hard all year for the right to win that trip to Pasadena. Both have come through tough, conference battles, and are primed to bring glory to their programs, and their respective conferences. Once again, the Wildcats will be going against a team with more overall talent, but that hasn't stopped them up to this point. Their defense has proven it can get after the quarterback, and that's exactly the kind of unit that can win you games. Also, the Wildcats finally seemed to have discovered their conventional rushing game against the Trojans, which could make things much easier on Matt Scott in the backfield. This could be a classic.

2. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Fuck yeah dude!!!! Congrats on the Win!!! See you in Pasadena!!! Can't fucking wait!!!!!!!!

3. WisconsinSports414

Thanks, man. I know this is just a game, but...wow, I got freakin' emotional after this one. What a run, regardless of what happens from here on out. Arizona football is on the way up.

4. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Dude i now what you mean. I get into it especially with PSU because I go there. I shook for the entire Ohio State game i played and the Mich St....ill be ready for the Rose...even tho im nervous...you're on fire

5. WisconsinSports414

Yeeeeeeeeees!