Arkansas upsets #1 Bama on the road 17-14

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by -Balla-, Jul 27, 2011.

1. -Balla-

-Balla- Walk On

May 27, 2011
    On a rain soaked field in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, the Arkansas Razorbacks took on the #1 Alabama Crimson Tide. The game lived up to the hype of the GOTW.....

Arkansas won the toss and elected to kick. The Razorback defense brought their A game today. They stopped the Tides Offense on the opening drive and set the tone for the day. The highly vaunted Arkansas offense then took the field only to find an unreal Bama defense waiting for them. Arkansas finally managed to get a little offense going and moved down in Tide territory. Facing a 4th and long from the 36 yard line, Coach Stone decided to try for a career long 53 yarder for Zack Hocker. "We had a 10 mph wind behind us, I told him keep his head down and drive through it. I knew if he got the ball up, he had a great chance." And great chance he did as Hocker nailed the 53 yarder to give Arkansas a 3-0 lead at the end of the 1st qtr.

The 2nd quarter saw more defensive stops for both teams. Arkansas Free Safety stepped in front of a Alabama pass and returned it 21 yards for a TD and extended the Razorback lead to 10-3. The Razorback Defense had done a great job shutting down All American Trent Richardson, Alabama's star tailback, until he took a draw, bounced outside and outran the Razorback defense for a 59 yard TD run, pulling the Tide within 3, 10-7. Both teams went into the half with Arkansas up 10-7.

The 3rd quarter saw more defense. As neither offense could muster anything. As the teams entered the 4th, it was still a 10-7 Arkansas lead.

The 4th quarter was going to be a barn burner, you could feel it in the air. Both teams were in position to win the game and neither team was going to lose. Alabama decided to get on their horse and either ride him to a win or lose. They fed Richardson the ball the whole 4th and it worked. Richardson eventually found paydirt from 1 yard out with only 41 seconds left, giving the Tide their only lead of the game 14-10. After the ensuing kickoff Arkansas started out at their own 29 yard line. The Bama defense had shut down the vaunted Razorback passing attack all day long, forcing star QB Tyler Wilson into a 8-34 day with 1 int and under 150 yards. "I told Tyler to forget about everything, the past is the past. He had a chance to become a legend. I told him WHEN he leads his team to the win and upsets the #1 team in the country, his name will live forever in Razorback glory," said Coach Stone in the post game interview. "He smiled and took off out on to the field. I never had a doubt in my mind that he wouldn't get it done for us."

Wilson responded to his coach's words and went 4-4 for 72 yards and the game winning TD with only 13 seconds left. "Coach is prolly still mad at me but I changed that last play at the LOS. I saw the Mike linebacker was coming on the blitz so I told Chris to run a slant from his TE position." The play was a perfect play call as Wilson found Jr. TE Chris Gragg wide open for the game winner. "The kids got balls, joked Coach Stone, but the important thing is we won and that's all that matters."

Offensive MVP- Jarius Wright who caught 4 balls for 79 yards

Defensive MVP- Entire Defense

Best part of beating Alabama is the groupies afterwards.....